Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Corvette makes Supra and others a dud.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the price really is kept that low this would be amazing performance never offered on a mid engine set-up.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:55 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I think this new vette has a lot of potential and I love the fact GM is willing to play with the formula. Look how Camaro has really pushed itself to be more. So now they'll have a front and rear-mid option. I like where this is headed.

When I hear people compare supra, GT350, GT500, vette, camaro, hellcat etc on price alone it's not really an apples to apples. I own both a hellcat and gt350r. The two vehicles are vastly different, but equally fun to drive in their own right. I would love to add a third fun car to the garage that was different. This vette might just be it. If vette drops a manual I will be disappointed though and won't buy. I'm looking to keep manual fun cars in the garage.

One thing I like about vettes is how fast they drop in value. So in 2-3 years you get them for a fraction of the price. I thought the C7 interior was a nice improvement but couldn't get over the exterior toy like look. Hopefully this one is more super car.

Jon, I'm going to give you a lot of crap if the vette out sells the NSX with the same formula. Considering Honda had nearly 10 years on GM to produce the same R8 style formula. Cause I'll go back to the basic formula, light, fun, v8, manual and sounds right for a reasonable price will sell.

What I love more right now, is look at all the amazing cars being produced by the domestics. Germany is lagging and Japan is lost. But you can get great fun cars new or lightly used from FCA, Ford or GM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rob-2:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-17-2019), WolfpackS2k (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:36 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

rob - I've never disagreed that Honda should've built a basic mid-engined car without all the high-tech electrical supporting pieces, AWD, etc. It's a cheaper car to build and therefore cheaper to sell, which would've helped a lot.

Honda had the ability to build that car and they chose not to do it. I know and understand why they did what they did - they're pushing new technology and expanding their capabilities - but for pure sales, the basic formula was (and is) the best bet.

THAT SAID, look what virtually every high-end manufacturer is saying now: we will be making blended (electric + ICE) exotics and hyper cars, INCLUDING this Corvette (AWD option with front electric motors). Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Aston Martin - they're all committed to hybrid cars in the very near future.

Honda just wimped out on their ICE motor spec - they should've (and could've) gone with a lot more power, which would've given it the performance edge to beat its competitors soundly and justify the decision to add more weight and complexity with the electric add-ons.
The following users liked this post:
cbehney (04-18-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I thought the C7 interior was a nice improvement but couldn't get over the exterior toy like look. Hopefully this one is more super car.
That is a great way of describing the exterior. I loved driving the C7 for the day that I had it but I was not a fan of the body. I may just be getting older.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

The C7 has finally grown on me, I'd love to have a C7Z06. The sound at WOT is intoxicating.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Mid-engined, 500 hp V8 sportscar for $60-70K (actual street price, in all probability)? Heck yeah! That's the bargain of the century, which is consistent with the Corvette's market position in general.

The side scoops look very off to me, though, as does the entire rear end. It just doesn't look that cohesive. The side scoops stick out way too much and the back end looks more squared off compared to the rest of the car. Maybe it'll look better / more unified when it's not camouflaged...

I also see that they're saying it won't come with a manual, just a DCT. That's not a deal-breaker but it is a disappointment.

Also interesting that they're saying the Zora would have an electric motor up front, driving the front wheels, which would give us a mid-engined AWD Corvette with somewhere around 1000 hp. Talk about poor-man's 918 Spyder!
Meh you can buy a 06 Z06 with 505 hp for mid 20's these days
Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
That is a great way of describing the exterior. I loved driving the C7 for the day that I had it but I was not a fan of the body. I may just be getting older.
I like the base C7 okay - I'd have no problem owning one in the right colour (I love it in white with black wheels, for instance - that "Storm Trooper" look) - but I love the Grand Sport / Z06 body style. It's a little bit over the top but it works, for me. Those flared fenders just do it!
Old 04-17-2019, 04:05 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
rob - I've never disagreed that Honda should've built a basic mid-engined car without all the high-tech electrical supporting pieces, AWD, etc. It's a cheaper car to build and therefore cheaper to sell, which would've helped a lot.

Honda had the ability to build that car and they chose not to do it. I know and understand why they did what they did - they're pushing new technology and expanding their capabilities - but for pure sales, the basic formula was (and is) the best bet.

THAT SAID, look what virtually every high-end manufacturer is saying now: we will be making blended (electric + ICE) exotics and hyper cars, INCLUDING this Corvette (AWD option with front electric motors). Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Aston Martin - they're all committed to hybrid cars in the very near future.

Honda just wimped out on their ICE motor spec - they should've (and could've) gone with a lot more power, which would've given it the performance edge to beat its competitors soundly and justify the decision to add more weight and complexity with the electric add-ons.
I think we're talking past each other at times. Honda keeps misfiring on solid sales for performance cars. Putting out a car to push the limits of technology isn't worth doing unless you get sales, you want the market validation you're doing it right. They're competitors are doing it right. If the vette comes out mid engine and has multiple options including v8, v8SC and V8sc + AWD this is the very formula I was mentioning for years Honda should have done. People want options and the domestics have that figured that out.

Pretty amazing that for Honda's most recent sports car they couldn't even do the motor themselves. Consider how much of a screw up that really is for HONDA who is known for their motors. It should show you how bad honda is at developing new product. In comparison GM, FCA and Ford are all able to release new platforms/products in less time.

I'm stupid excited to see where this takes us long term. The big 3 domestics are slugging it out and it seems from my point of view that the rest of the industry is now playing catch up. Far cry from where we were 15 years ago.

Hopefully GM gets the interior even better on this most recent Vette. I think for $60k range this presented configuration is going to be a great platform to play with. Hoping it supports some 1k HP figures and give that 918 million dollar car a run for it's money. Won't that be fun for GM to show up Germany with 1/10th the cost?

What amazes me most? The fact I was never a domestics fan 6 years ago.... now I have 2 amazing cars in my garage as toys and neither are imports.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 04:57 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
While everyone else is marketing exotic, complex, expensive engines Chevy keep plodding along with antique push rod. And making gobs of power. The LS engine is key to keeping the price down I expect.

-- Chuck
When it gets the best fuel economy of any other V8, best low down torque of any other car, is the most reliable racing engine ever made.....why would GM ever switch other than to make something electric?

#IWorkforGM

Also....that BMW in my garage is getting switched over to an ATSV in the near future as they're on fire sale. It's the performance of an M3 without all the hassle and a less upscale interior. Plus calibration + downpipes = 500whp. We truly live in a golden era of performance cars.

Last edited by HawkeyeGeoff; 04-17-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 AM

Geoff - the ATS-V engine has had a ton of issues. I only know two people with them but both have had serious issues (ie, lemons or big repairs). You sure that's the route you want to go? Yes, they're cheaper but resale isn't good and you're going to probably use that warranty!

By contrast, the M3 engine seems to be pretty bulletproof, based on what I've read/heard, and they retain their value far better, based on prices I'm seeing in the used market.

Quick Reply: New Corvette makes Supra and others a dud.