Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New daily - Porsche Macan S

Old 09-16-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New daily - Porsche Macan S

I picked up a 2015 Macan S a couple of months ago, just a little while after relocating to the Triangle Area of North Carolina. I needed something for the daily commute year round with space to occasionally transport my 65lb dog. The local Porsche dealer had this Agate Grey CPO example on the lot. I really liked how it felt on the test drive and was able to negotiate the right deal to make me want to be the new owner.

The optional equipment list is pretty short. It has a dark brown interior with ventilated leather seats. The wheels are the 20” Spyder design. This Macan S was ordered without even a sunroof.

Impressions? I’ve put 2,000 something miles on it so far. Dynamically, it’s quite good. The motor has minimal turbo lag and feels decently torquey, while the PDK transmission is excellent in responsiveness, shift speed and smoothness. I can really believe that this is a 5.0s 0-60 machine. Handling is very confidence inspiring. The 265 front / 295 rear tires generate massive grip. Steering is decently communicative and predictably direct. I had some seat time in base model (2.0 turbo) Macans, so it was a bit shocking to me how much more serious the Macan S feels as a performance machine. It is fast. I think a driver in an STI or Evo would have to push pretty hard to eek out any kind of gap on a twisty road.

Complaints? I’ve had super annoying creaking and rattling noises. The dealer traced them to the clamshell hood. Some adjustment of the hood alignment worked to keep things creak and rattle free, but it only lasted a few days. I’ll wait for an upcoming maintenance appointment to have the dealer look at it again.

The past few days have seen extreme weather out here with Hurricane Florence passing through. It made me appreciate the versatility of the Macan S. It had the interior capacity to carry people, dog and emergency bags in case we had to flee the storm and the security of AWD to traverse the very wet roads.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lovely car. Post some shots of that interior!

I'd be really annoyed if I was experiencing creeks and rattles in a vehicle of this class.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 AM

Isn't macan S a v6? There should be 0 turbo lag... no turbo.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:47 AM
nvK

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bhk1004
Isn't macan S a v6? There should be 0 turbo lag... no turbo.
"Every Macan is turbocharged, even the S. The Macan Turbo’s larger, 3.6-liter engine makes 400 horsepower, while the S gets along with 340."

Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-s-test-review
Old 09-17-2018, 07:00 AM

Always thought they used an NA v6. Ignore me and carry on! This will be the next car for the wife and inlaws.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These cars handle freakishly good. Actually, there was a test and on a short track.... the M2 only beat it by about a second. https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...e-macan-turbo/ Did you get PSE?

We've had Cayennes for loaner cars and taken it to the mountains.... The Cayenne is a huge, heavy car. It denies physics how well is handles on mountain roads. I'd wager it is at least as good as my 5 series M Sport.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bhk1004
Always thought they used an NA v6. Ignore me and carry on! This will be the next car for the wife and inlaws.
They did originally but went full on turbo.... Just like the 911's and 718's. Don't let anyone kid you that it was for performance either. It was strictly for EPA, CAFE and tariffs to China. On the sports cars they have more low end shove but just like the old 335 vs E46 M3 debate.... the E46 was faster but the 335 felt faster for ay drivers who didn't want to have to rev the motor to make power. Also - ironically in Porscheland - the turbo models get worse mileage and emissions than the outgoing NA motors if you actually drive them! The MPG's are only better off boost
Old 09-17-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

The Macan has never been available with a naturally aspirated engine. Always been Turbo, in the US at least.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the Triangle!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the Triangle!
Thanks! Do you go out to any of the local car meets? I've tried a couple of PCA events. Haven't had the chance to attend Road Scholars yet.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

AWD + Power = winning!

Quick Reply: New daily - Porsche Macan S