Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

new hellcat owner

Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm still loving it. I've got the manual which makes it more fun of course. Goes through tires pretty quickly though!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSAK
So curious, how do you still like the hellcat? I have been debating in trading my wife's SRT Jeep in for a Charger Hellcat but not sure if it would be as comfy as the Jeep. Currently we have a 14 SRT with 57k miles ($36k) and dealer offered us trade plus $12k for a 2016 Charger Hellcat with 6700 miles. To me I think it would be a good swap but I don't know if that is a good price. I think between $8-10K would be the sweet spot.
How's the SRT Jeep been for you?

I'm looking at trading my Tacoma in on a 2017. Prepared for terrible gas mileage but it seems like there aren't a ton of other complaints (other than the CF trim loosening and clearcoat issues on the Brembos).
Old 02-20-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

We really like it, it was mostly problem free until about a week ago. Now it has a a bad shudder and check engine light flashing when I accelerate it at 50% throttle. It is misfiring and I am betting it’s the lifters as it seems the most common issue. Unfortunately when I took it to the dealer those idiots thought a recall update would be the fix and sent me on my way. Well issue is still there so I’ll be calling the service manager this week. I have an extended warranty so as long as they diagnose it correctly I should be good. Now with that being said this thing is extremely versatile. We can use it to haul the family, I’ve used it to tow my s2k and type r, and I can take it through the twistes in the mountains. I wouldn’t really hesitate but get a Mopar extended warranty. I got a lifetime one a few years back and paid around $3200. What year srt are you looking at?

Btw I did test drive that hellcat and man was it nice. I thought the ride was better than the Jeep. However my wife hates it because the interior of the Jeep was so much nicer. Oh well happy wife happy life lol.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 AM

Keep the Jeep. That 392 engine hasn't had a lot of problems.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 AM

I believe that will be the plan Rob, wife is firm on this one. She told me I should trade the R in for it instead but I have been having a lot of fun. One interesting note on the hellcat I drove, the mpg since new was only 8.6mpg. Ouch
Old 02-20-2019, 02:10 PM

We really like it, it was mostly problem free until about a week ago. Now it has a a bad shudder and check engine light flashing when I accelerate it at 50% throttle. It is misfiring and I am betting it’s the lifters as it seems the most common issue. Unfortunately when I took it to the dealer those idiots thought a recall update would be the fix and sent me on my way. Well issue is still there so I’ll be calling the service manager this week. I have an extended warranty so as long as they diagnose it correctly I should be good. Now with that being said this thing is extremely versatile. We can use it to haul the family, I’ve used it to tow my s2k and type r, and I can take it through the twistes in the mountains. I wouldn’t really hesitate but get a Mopar extended warranty. I got a lifetime one a few years back and paid around $3200. What year srt are you looking at?

Btw I did test drive that hellcat and man was it nice. I thought the ride was better than the Jeep. However my wife hates it because the interior of the Jeep was so much nicer. Oh well happy wife happy life lol.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! That all sounds pretty good to me (minus the recent shuddering/lifters), hopefully the dealer gets it right next time.

I'm planning to look at a 2017 SRT w/ 38k miles this weekend. Black with the full extended Laguna red leather interior, 19 speaker sound system, trailer tow, high-performance brakes, and panoramic sunroof. This one also has a clear bra, weathertech trunk/floor mats, and the "gold plan" extended warranty to 120k. Those last 3 items suggest to me that the previous owner really took care of it and planned to keep it for a while but probably traded it in for a trackhawk, which help to offset the slightly high miles for a 2-year old truck.

My Tacoma is just so boring to drive as a daily and I'm finding I don't really need the utility of the 6 foot pickup box anymore. I want something "fun" that can still tow the boat/car trailers and has enough room for picking up car parts, and your description confirms that this should more than fit the bill. If I pull the trigger, this will be my first American vehicle, though I have fond memories of my dad's 03 5.9 R/T Durango growing up. I wish the current Durango didn't look so much like a minivan or I'd absolutely consider the Durango SRT.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:40 PM

Those are the same options I have on my 14 minus performance brakes which must be new option. I think you will enjoy it. How much are they asking on the 17? My guess somewhere around $50-60k? I do love the new front end it’s eveb meaner looking than the 14. Mine is going back to the dealer tommorrow. Also when you look at the 17make sure the engine doesn’t have a weird tick which seem to be the tell tale sign of lifter issues. Good luck with the hunt!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:05 AM

Those are the same options I have on my 14 minus performance brakes which must be new option. I think you will enjoy it. How much are they asking on the 17? My guess somewhere around $50-60k? I do love the new front end it’s eveb meaner looking than the 14. Mine is going back to the dealer tommorrow. Also when you look at the 17make sure the engine doesn’t have a weird tick which seem to be the tell tale sign of lifter issues. Good luck with the hunt!
I believe the performance brakes are the same calipers but a 2-piece rotors. Hopefully when they wear out I can just replace them with the standard rotor to save a few $$, it's not like I'll be tracking the SRT haha.

It's priced just under $58k Canadian, which is $44k-ish USD. Our dollar is terrible right now (fortunately I am paid in USD...).

I was unaware of the lifter tick issue but my research indicates it is somewhat common - so I will definitely be listening for that and confirming what is/isn't covered by the current extended warranty.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:09 AM

Gosh that is heck of a deal on a 17. Makes me want to get a Canadian model lol only if fca would honor the warranty here in the states but sadly they don’t.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:20 PM

I believe that will be the plan Rob, wife is firm on this one. She told me I should trade the R in for it instead but I have been having a lot of fun. One interesting note on the hellcat I drove, the mpg since new was only 8.6mpg. Ouch
I think I'm averaging around 12-14.

Quick Reply: new hellcat owner