Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Mazda 3 AWD Available

Old 11-28-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Those that have driven vehicles with the new Mazda turbo motor have been less-than-impressed (in the Mazda6, specifically). It supposedly doesn't feel like 250 hp at all, and it feels decidedly slower than the Accord 2.0T and Camry V6.

Jalopnik said:

In light of that, the BMW turbo-4 is going to murder a CX-5 (in terms of performance) as the BMW is underrated and has an 8-spd transmission. Q3 will probably be roughly as quick, give or take. The CX-5 looks better than both of them, in my opinion, and I agree that it is pretty much as nice (or nicer) as well, in top trims. Can't go wrong with it, since it also has a higher probability of being more reliable and cheaper to maintain, given Mazda's general engineering goodness.
It's a bus, what performance?
Old 11-28-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
It's a bus, what performance?
Relative to its class, not an absolute standard of measurement.

The X3 and X1 can do 0-60 in 6.3s and the 1/4 in 14.8 at roughly 93 mph. That's not FAST but it's definitely not slow, either. Consider this - if an S2000 doesn't launch, it's going to lose a straight line race against a "bus".
Old 11-28-2018, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Relative to its class, not an absolute standard of measurement.

The X3 and X1 can do 0-60 in 6.3s and the 1/4 in 14.8 at roughly 93 mph. That's not FAST but it's definitely not slow, either. Consider this - if an S2000 doesn't launch, it's going to lose a straight line race against a "bus".
Here's what I don't understand about the general public. 90% of them are buying buses left and right, 90% of the that 90% market will not even hit redline, or can distinguish between a CVT or traditional automatic. So then why are people so hung up on the performance of a bus?

I can understand why if you're buying a performance oriented vehicle, those figures matter. But you're a mile high off of the ground and your face hits the window if you turn too aggressively, what's the point performance numbers in a SUV when you won't even use half of the car's capability.

Anyways, back to the next gen Mazda 3:
- I love everything about it except for the hatchback's rear quarter panel. Jesus, do something something that giant piece of panel. Something, anything! Just put a window on it at least.

- And the rear torsion beam, why?!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

- And the rear torsion beam, why?!
one reason...NVH.

This is retro mazda- Mazda did the AWD sedan thing back in the late 80's and early 90's with the GTX (in my garage) and protege AWD with IRS. Both only available with 3 pedals...you know, a baby seal dies every time some orders their car with 2 pedals. Hell, Ferrari has been killing baby seals for years.

darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 11-28-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
one reason...NVH.

This is retro mazda- Mazda did the AWD sedan thing back in the late 80's and early 90's with the GTX (in my garage) and protege AWD with IRS. Both only available with 3 pedals...you know, a baby seal dies every time some orders their car with 2 pedals. Hell, Ferrari has been killing baby seals for years.

darcy
Yeah that was the official explanation out of Mazda. But, I'm sure there will be still noise and vibration. People need to remember that these are economy, entry level vehicles.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:35 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Yeah that was the official explanation out of Mazda. But, I'm sure there will be still noise and vibration. People need to remember that these are economy, entry level vehicles.
yup...and yet they seem to think every single future model of car ever to come out needs to offer heated, cooled seats, sensing, touch screen, sunroof, leather, fancy soft surfaces in all class of cars for everybody always. I remember the economy cars of the 80's having rubber carpet, exposed metal, tiny engines, steel rims...my, how "economy" cars have come a long way in the past 30 years!

darcy
Old 11-28-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Lots of cars coming out with such great powertrains and technology, but it seems like there isn't a competent exterior car designer to be found on the planet anymore outside of Ferrari and a few other high end cars. Where are these new car designers graduating from these days ? Old school Hondas seem light years ahead of these new cars in terms of exterior design.

I'm convinced that traditional car designers are being replaced by Harvard marketing geeks who don't know shit about common sense car design. All the cars these days look the same due to the unending quest to squeeze every mile out of each gallon of fuel. Just take a jelly bean and put four wheels on it and spend the rest of the R and D money on the powertrain, who gives a crap how it looks.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 11-28-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The rear of the hatch is just off as others have said, looks terrible from the front 3/4 view. The dash is also drab, almost Tesla bad.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:38 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Here's what I don't understand about the general public. 90% of them are buying buses left and right, 90% of the that 90% market will not even hit redline, or can distinguish between a CVT or traditional automatic. So then why are people so hung up on the performance of a bus?

I can understand why if you're buying a performance oriented vehicle, those figures matter. But you're a mile high off of the ground and your face hits the window if you turn too aggressively, what's the point performance numbers in a SUV when you won't even use half of the car's capability.
They like the feeling of power when they step on 60% throttle from the red light.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:40 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I think the exterior design is sleek, but the tacked on info display was a turn off last generation and is this generation as well.

Quick Reply: New Mazda 3 AWD Available