Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

New Mazda 3 AWD Available

Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

New Mazda 3 AWD Available

Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the big C-pillar looks great. A window there does next to nothing for visibility anyway.
This car looks GREAT, IMO, and is a very welcome counterpoint to the ultra-busy designs with a gazillion fake vents all over the place from Toyota and Honda these days...
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:42 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT View Post
They like the feeling of power when they step on 60% throttle from the red light.
Are those the same people who say they like sports car?

*Buys a Porsche SUV*
Old 11-29-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Those that have driven vehicles with the new Mazda turbo motor have been less-than-impressed (in the Mazda6, specifically). It supposedly doesn't feel like 250 hp at all, and it feels decidedly slower than the Accord 2.0T and Camry V6.

In light of that, the BMW turbo-4 is going to murder a CX-5 (in terms of performance) as the BMW is underrated and has an 8-spd transmission. Q3 will probably be roughly as quick, give or take. The CX-5 looks better than both of them, in my opinion, and I agree that it is pretty much as nice (or nicer) as well, in top trims. Can't go wrong with it, since it also has a higher probability of being more reliable and cheaper to maintain, given Mazda's general engineering goodness.
Well, it does a tested 6.4 seconds to sixty in the Mazda 6, which is 100 pounds heavier than the CX5 in its heaviest form and the AWD will give it some extra go off the line. I'd guess 6.3 seconds which is right in line with the BMW X1. Still many thousands less. I don't think it will be a rocket, but if I need a car in the stable with a nice interior and some amount of Home Depot utility, it would be fine for my needs.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Mazda's turbo 2.5 was designed SPECIFICALLY to feel powerful and deliver power down low, to satisfy that 90% of the population that drive cars like old women. It wasn't designed for all out speed or performance. Unfortunately, at this point that is not in Mazda's budget.

I like the chunky C pillar of the hatch, adds weight and a look of power to the back of a FWD hatchback. Just the thing IMO. And I'm honestly baffled that more people in this thread aren't happy that Mazda went without super gaudy exterior treatments like fake vents in and grills. They've been making the most attractive vehicles in all segments they compete in, and with the 3 they just widened the gap further.
The following users liked this post:
ZDan (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Hatch looks like a CUV. Holler at us when there is a MS3 AWD variant. Until then...
Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That 2.5 Turbo is a great motor for how I drive. I don't open cars up and go full throttle all the time. Its nice to be able to get up to speed quickly with lower RPM and midrange driving styles. It's 'faster' the way that most people drive and Mazda was brilliant to design the motor that way because it slays on test drives in vehicles like the CX9 and upcoming CX5.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Mazda's turbo 2.5 was designed SPECIFICALLY to feel powerful and deliver power down low, to satisfy that 90% of the population that drive cars like old women. It wasn't designed for all out speed or performance. Unfortunately, at this point that is not in Mazda's budget.

I like the chunky C pillar of the hatch, adds weight and a look of power to the back of a FWD hatchback. Just the thing IMO. And I'm honestly baffled that more people in this thread aren't happy that Mazda went without super gaudy exterior treatments like fake vents in and grills. They've been making the most attractive vehicles in all segments they compete in, and with the 3 they just widened the gap further.
I like how the sedan looks but that back end on the hatchback looks too chunky.

Mazda's designs are very clean, overall. This new Mazda3 sedan looks a million times better than the Civic, for instance. I'd also pick the CX-5 and CX-3 over any other CUV in their respective classes, in terms of looks. Miata looks great, Mazda6 looks great (for its class, though I do prefer the Accord overall), etc, etc. The CX-9 is very well designed and arguably looks best-in-class as well.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Late to the torsion beam discussion but I suspect the move from IRS to beam is a result of a compromise with style and cargo space. They likely wanted that aggressive rear slope along with keeping good trunk/hatch space, and the IRS was lowest on the chopping block for a vehicle in this category. Honda did this with their first generation Fit. Later Fits went to IRS.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. First the minivan and now this. There is absolutely nothing that is visually appealing about this car, IMO.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
Hatch looks like a CUV. Holler at us when there is a MS3 AWD variant. Until then...
This is where I'm at. It's great they've finally added AWD, and it looks good. But I'm out until they bring back the MS3.

Quick Reply: New Mazda 3 AWD Available

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands