Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Production FT-86 detail from Toyota Sports Car Boss

Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Production FT-86 detail from Toyota Sports Car Boss

via http://www.FT86club.com

At a recent invite-only event, Toyota Sports vehicle boss Tesuya Tada, revealed much details to the production Toyota FT-86. As if that weren’t enough, the production FT-86’s design was revealed to those in attendance! Club4ag founder Motohide Miwa was there and gracious enough to share some details with FT-86 enthusiasts.

Some of the production FT-86 highlights include information that the FT-86’s boxer engine is still EJ20 based shape, but has been completely worked over by Toyota down to a new revised and re-cast engine block, Yamaha tuning, and Toyota’s D-4S direct injection technology.

Miwa describes a development program focused as much on the enthusiast as the casual buyer. “Everything about this car is BASIC, and PURE,” Miwa shares. Toyota’s development team was so focused on weight and handling that there will not even be a CD player or built-in navigation unit (at least as standard equipment).

As for exterior and interior design, this is how the production FT-86 was described – Take the Original FT86 concept, and add a little more flavor from Scion project’s FRS Concept, then smooth down the lines so that it’s less tuner looking, and more OEM finesse. Retain the 2000GT C-Pillar, sharpen the tail. And that’s how a final version will be.” Also, “The front dash has a beautiful sweeping line, and yet the front corners are recessed into the front window base,” Miwa reported.
Source: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1528

Some very promising things in there, including the EJ20 engine.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 AM

It was mentioned it just said the shape of the EJ20, and then re-cast. Seems like it will still be an FB20.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 AM

sickness
Old 07-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Because a CD player really packs on the weight.... I don't really care, so long as I can connect my phone/iPod. If not, there's always the engine music. Yamaha makes some killer tracks.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Malloric
Because a CD player really packs on the weight.... I don't really care, so long as I can connect my phone/iPod. If not, there's always the engine music. Yamaha makes some killer tracks.
Exactly, seems like a silly comment to make. For a while I've heard their weight target is 2700lbs but then in this past month's Road & Track they said it will weigh 3000lbs. What gives? Given the car's dimensions that would not be very lightweight.

Don't disappoint Toyota!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Malloric

Seriously, I'm getting sick of manufacturers saying ooo we're so focused on weight, or this is a serious track car, etc so we took away the stereo, or got rid of the ac, etc. Duh, the consumer can do that themselves, or option those things off, we want them to work on the things we're stuck with.
Anyway, interested to see how the car comes out, would be cool though if it came with 250hp and weighed what they say itll weigh, all for about MS3 money, i.e. an s2000 coupe for less money, sounds like a good deal to me. With that said, the mustang gt now has 400hp, and the v6 stang makes 300hp, handle well enough to no longer garner harsh criticism, then you got all the competition thats out there, I mean if toyota is gonna charge something that doesnt make sense on paper, which is probable, they seriously need to hit all the intangibles.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by Malloric' timestamp='1311044249' post='20792359
Exactly, seems like a silly comment to make. For a while I've heard their weight target is 2700lbs but then in this past month's Road & Track they said it will weigh 3000lbs. What gives? Given the car's dimensions that would not be very lightweight.

Don't disappoint Toyota!!!
What that really means is, if you want the car for the price they said it will have nothing, but they are going to call it weight reduction.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Perhaps. Honestly I could care less about navigation.

If the car was seriously light (like around 2500lbs) then I could deal with manual steering and manual braking. Assuming the car is 2700lbs I could care less about power seats, power windows, navigation, more than 4-6 speakers for the stereo, oversized (heavy) wheels and automatic climate control. And definitely no sunroof please.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:02 PM

It looks like a fun little car, but for me to want one, it would have to be a ragtop for the 99% of the driving I do. I like that it promises to be basic transportation made to be fun.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Seriously who is going to buy this car on this forum?

To me the buyer is going to be basically a person who wanted a sportier Scion TC
Anybody who had an AE-86 probably didn't mod like how it was raced in Japan because honestly the media/internet coverage for cars didn't exist in that time. Plus take on 25+ years since it came out and you have a person who is now in their 40-50s who really have enough income to not even consider this car and want something comfier. (again going with statistics)

I agree that this car will put Toyota back into a sportier spotlight, but like Don mentioned... the stang GT/Camaro have their respective stats and MPG to really put shadow over the stats of what this car brings.

But people will bring in the arugement of "light, nimble", well the market has had that car and has a cult following both on and off the track... it's the Miata.
From track junkies, to factory support of racing, and to older folks of hey the kids are out of the house honey lets take the vert.

Plus if people want to fuss about how it's a convertible I can't "live" with it, they do make the folding hard top.

I'm not trying to sell the miata or even the stang/maros... but really what place does this car have?

To be quite honest I bet this car will come out magazine statwise close to the 240sx with just more modern tech and more fit and finish.

When you have the Civic Si Sedan/Coupe, GTI Coupe, Sedan, Mazdaspeed 3 wagon, WRX (sedan), all more practical and unless this car comes with a turbo they will all be fast or faster, I doubt this car will sell.

Let's say it rivals those cars in magazine stats, well I'd still pony up 5k and get a Stang/Maro/370z/Genesis over this car just knowing that most likely those companies will probably make another one and more companies will sell parts for those cars.

It seems like we can't go a week without saying, "man I wish Honda made the S2000 successor or something sporty". Can we say toyota will make another sports car if this is successful or runs its course? Look at past history with the MR2/MRS, Celica, and Supra.

My money is no.

Quick Reply: New Production FT-86 detail from Toyota Sports Car Boss