Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Ridgeline

Old 03-22-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I drove many different vehicles before deciding. I think the Ridgeline will fill all of my needs. Cheers, Mike
The following users liked this post:
FearlessFife (03-25-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mgedit
Well I sure hope you guys are right ... I’m picking up my 2019 Ridgeline Monday morning.

Cheers, Mike
I will be in Kemptville on Monday afternoon, would love to check it out.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I like the new design of the Ridgeline, I like the idea of a truck that drives somewhat like a car. A few years back I drove a Ford Explorer, quite frankly I don't want to drive such a large vehicle anymore. You can feel the heft in handling, and braking, they carry so much momentum that it takes away from handling and braking. They all accelerate well enough but that's about it. I don't care about towing. Even the other import trucks are too large for my taste, Honda has the right design.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

does anybody really need a 6000lb truck for commuting with a single passenger and an empty truck bed? no. the Ridgeline is a practical choice getting decent mileage from one of the smoothest v6's ever made- and I think you can get them with FWD in the US. I prefer the previous gen design.
but, all your truck friends will make fun of you...until you tell them what I costs to service and put fuel in...and then they will secretly be jealous

darcy
Old 03-22-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought one a couple years ago. It’s perfect for my use cases. I don’t tow, but do use the bed for recreational stuff...motorcycles, bicycles, camping, etc. I’ve been very impressed with the AWD system in both sand and snow. It replaced an ‘06 Frontier and I’ve been very happy.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:32 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I'm not suggesting anyone needs a real pickup truck for commuting which is why the market for pretend pickups, called "mid-sized" pickups exists. And the new Ridgeline is a stellar example. I'm absolutely not knocking the Ridgeline as a vehicle but it's a poor pickup truck albeit able to do chores at Home Depot or pull a small trailer. F150 is the best selling vehicle in the US and it wouldn't surprise me if the Chevy and Dodge Ram trucks were very far behind.

-- Chuck
Old 03-23-2019, 04:45 AM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm not suggesting anyone needs a real pickup truck for commuting which is why the market for pretend pickups, called "mid-sized" pickups exists. And the new Ridgeline is a stellar example. I'm absolutely not knocking the Ridgeline as a vehicle but it's a poor pickup truck albeit able to do chores at Home Depot or pull a small trailer. F150 is the best selling vehicle in the US and it wouldn't surprise me if the Chevy and Dodge Ram trucks were very far behind.

-- Chuck
As a work truck - Ford is way ahead followed by Chevy and Ram. I would not use a Ridgeline for heavy work duties. I used to love pick-up trucks when they were plain and simple and were the cheapest vehicles one could buy. These days they are among the most expensive vehicles out there, I don't know how the Ford 150 sells so much year after year given the cost, but there must be a good reason for it. I don't know who likes the idea of buying a 70k dollar truck, that just doesn't seem reasonable to me.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

More I look more I like, great to see Honda takes risks and thinks different and comes up with an unconventional winner.
at Home depo seeing people load a bag of mulch and two 2x4’s into a 50k F150 or trying to get my Expidition through a pack of Subarus poorly parked makes me want something the size of my old Ranger, with 4 real doors.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
What Tommy said.

I have a 2017 RLT-T and it is stellar. I am not a truck guy by any means, I think most people don't even come close to extracting the usability of a full size truck and thus could do without it, but after driving a 2018 Ridgeline last summer I knew it was going to be the right vehicle for me, especially given I have two small kids. Coming from a 2012 Civic Si it does take some getting used to for the obvious reasons: much bigger, far less responsive, braking distance, fun factor, etc. However, even with the less performance oriented driving characteristics the new Ridgeline is a great vehicle to own. Great features, drives fantastic (for a vehicle this size), and I find myself really wanting to get behind the wheel.

Highly recommend, and if you have specific questions about ownership feel free to let me know - I took delivery last fall and had a fun midwest winter with the fantastic AWD system.
People diss your truck on a regular basis. Happened to me when I had the first gen. "It's not a real truck" and my response was always "Thank God."

The truck segment oh my. Where to begin. "Ford tough" and pulling aircraft, earth movers, etc. Most don't need the towing capacity they offer. I'm not willing to trade driveability for towing specs that I will never ever use. 5000 lbs covers me in spades. Waverunner towing, towing my motorcycles to the track, tows anything I need. Honda actually did full market studies and found that in the compact segment 90+% don't even tow anything yet they use the bed often. What I've seen, repeatedly, on the RL forum, are people who said it wasn't even on their radar when doing comparison shopping. Then they drove it, and bought it immediately after. I wish it was getting the sales it deserves. But most are still gonna drive the small penis compensating rugged 4X4's and never use it. It's the rage here in the NTX. Full size 4X4 and the most heavy duty anything they'll do in it is park it on a curb or carry some light items in the bed. All the marketing around full size trucks is around doing extreme things no one does. Here they are used for commuting, and I rarely see anything in the bed. Very few tow as well, if so, it's a small boat which could be handled by a compact.

Will follow your lead in 2 years and buy an AWD RTL trim. Then gut the interior with my own audio system and alarm. Already put up a carport for it just last month as I'm out of garage room and my hood is alley fed. Waverunner and enclosed motorcycle trailer will follow and my fleet/toys will be complete. I loved my '06, but the current G2 is a way better vehicle with a much better AWD system. The motor/transmission combination is the most surprising. Thank goodness Honda put the 6 spd in it. You stomp on the throttle and the mafk is quick. About as quick to 60mph as my '02 RSX Type S.

Don't let the MSRP's fool you. You can buy every trim at invoice or slightly below. The one I want can easily be had for 33.6k new right now. AWD, leather, heated seats, tri-zone climate control, sliding rear glass and moonroof. Has acoustic windshield also (as does the T, E, and BE). The cabin is made for audio. All the extra sound deadening Honda did is readily apparent. Cabin is extremely quiet. To me, Honda's best vehicle in many years. Think I've driven the 2WD twice, and the AWD trims a half dozen times now.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
People diss your truck on a regular basis. Happened to me when I had the first gen. "It's not a real truck" and my response was always "Thank God."

The truck segment oh my. Where to begin. "Ford tough" and pulling aircraft, earth movers, etc. Most don't need the towing capacity they offer. I'm not willing to trade driveability for towing specs that I will never ever use. 5000 lbs covers me in spades. Waverunner towing, towing my motorcycles to the track, tows anything I need. Honda actually did full market studies and found that in the compact segment 90+% don't even tow anything yet they use the bed often. What I've seen, repeatedly, on the RL forum, are people who said it wasn't even on their radar when doing comparison shopping. Then they drove it, and bought it immediately after. I wish it was getting the sales it deserves. But most are still gonna drive the small penis compensating rugged 4X4's and never use it. It's the rage here in the NTX. Full size 4X4 and the most heavy duty anything they'll do in it is park it on a curb or carry some light items in the bed. All the marketing around full size trucks is around doing extreme things no one does. Here they are used for commuting, and I rarely see anything in the bed. Very few tow as well, if so, it's a small boat which could be handled by a compact.

Will follow your lead in 2 years and buy an AWD RTL trim. Then gut the interior with my own audio system and alarm. Already put up a carport for it just last month as I'm out of garage room and my hood is alley fed. Waverunner and enclosed motorcycle trailer will follow and my fleet/toys will be complete. I loved my '06, but the current G2 is a way better vehicle with a much better AWD system. The motor/transmission combination is the most surprising. Thank goodness Honda put the 6 spd in it. You stomp on the throttle and the mafk is quick. About as quick to 60mph as my '02 RSX Type S.

Don't let the MSRP's fool you. You can buy every trim at invoice or slightly below. The one I want can easily be had for 33.6k new right now. AWD, leather, heated seats, tri-zone climate control, sliding rear glass and moonroof. Has acoustic windshield also (as does the T, E, and BE). The cabin is made for audio. All the extra sound deadening Honda did is readily apparent. Cabin is extremely quiet. To me, Honda's best vehicle in many years. Think I've driven the 2WD twice, and the AWD trims a half dozen times now.
Oh I know, agree 100%. I love the "sissy truck" comments, they are laughable at best - ignorance is bliss.

The more I drive my Ridgeline the more I think, "So few people need anything more than what this truck offers. It does it all, and has great options/features to boot. Honda nailed it. You can have a full-size truck, this is legit awesome to own."

Quick Reply: New Ridgeline