Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Saturn Aura: Great pictures!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:35 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts
Default New Saturn Aura: Great pictures!

I looked up pricing. This model shown in the pictures will sticker for between $25-26k with the 250+hp 3.6L DOHC motor, that 'fancy' leather, six-speed automatic, 18 inch wheels, etc.

Pics:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35508

This honestly is a sedan I could see myself driving long before a Camry or Accord. Factor in the no haggle pricing, great customer service, and NOW a great car and Saturn could have a huge winner on their hands.

Thoughts?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice for a saturn, but taking that over the new camry? HELL NO!
the new camry looks amazing, definately my next purchase.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. I think the front end looks a little plain, though. I'm also not crazy about the interior design. Not a big fan of the fake wood. I too, however, would probably buy the V6 Camry SE if I was inclined to buy that type of car. I wasn't very impressed with the Camry in photos, but I like them quite a bit when I see them on the road (except maybe for the big front overhang/schnoz). The Accord has really become dated quickly with the release of the new Camry, Passat, Aura, etc. (I know the Accord will be all new for '08, but, to me, they usually don't seem so dated even late in their life-cycle).

On another note, why do you look at no-haggle pricing as a benefit? All of us should be pretty damn good at haggling. I wouldn't pay much over invoice for a family sedan. I got my old '03 Accord EX V6 right after they came out for $300 over invoice and probably could have done better had they not given me so much in trade for my '02 S2000. My point is that I think you pay more if they really stick to no-haggle pricing. Haggling can be good if you know how to do it.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:05 AM

Like kntrider said, it's nice for a saturn, but the new camry is a step above. Don't fool yourself by looking at those pictures and thinking "For a GM that looks AMAZING", because for a GM that DOES look amazing. It's just like the Sky: looked pretty good from pictures, but then I went to the dealership, sat in one, said "Ew", looked at the $31,549 sticker (optioned out), and laughed. If you would see yourself in this saturn long before a camry or accord... I ask you WHY?? Can't be the engine. Can't be the interior. Can't be the exterior. I don't get it. I try to keep in mind that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but seriously don't see anything very attractive about this car, including the price.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Like the leather. The exterior looks like a Passat to me. Don't hate it but would not buy one, nice but not exciting enough for my taste. Probably sell many.

I also would not buy one because my fiance has a Saturn right now for a company car that is a total piece. Its the goofy V6 model. L series???? Anywho, its in the shop for gremlins about every two months for the last four years. She may take a job doing legal work for a couple local trade unions and one of the perks is a lease every 3 years but it must be an AMERICAN car. (hey, its a union). Whatever US car she wants. Don't think she'd take another Saturn but who knows.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:14 AM

The new Camry is nice, but it's been plagued with some teething issues. Of course, I'm sure the Aura will be no different in that regard.

I just think GM did a good job with this car. Six-speed auto, 252hp 3.6L DOHC motor, 18 inch wheels, nice interior, nice exterior, less than $27k loaded.

It's going to undercut the MSRP on a comparable Camry by $3-6k. That's not chump change for a lot of people.

Finally, Dallas/Ft. Worth may be an exception, but every single Toyota dealer I've EVER dealt with around here is a bunch of sleezy, scum bag car dealers. Texas Toyota in Grapevine is the worst. They do the stupid 4 square sheet of paper lease/buy prices, very high pressure, all the tricks in the book. Also, they always add on some crap to all their cars and call it 'distributor add-ons' or something. It's attached to the factory MSRP and looks to on the same sheet of paper. It's always crap.

Yes, I can haggle with the best of them, but I refuse to deal with the Toyota dealers around here irrelevant of how good their cars are or aren't. So, in that sense, I would take the high customer service ratings of Saturn dealers (right below Lexus) and maybe pay a few more bucks than I could.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:21 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

when is the new Accord due out?

I believe the current Accord is just a face-lift of the car that's been out 5 years (?) so I hope Honda is gearing up for a big update.

I'm not a fan of GM/Ford/DC products, but IMO the better they are that just means the better Honda/Toyota have to be to stay on top of this segment.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:24 AM

Wow, a rebadged Malibu/G6! This is really something to be excited over.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:34 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly doubt it'll knock the Camry or Accord off the top of the hill, but I believe that it'll take a nice chunk of the pie by giving consumers another choice.

Is it just me or do other people see GM trying to move Saturn into an upscale brand for younger consumers? Good for them, I wish them the best of luck.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:38 AM

Oh, I'm not unrealistic. The Camry and Accord (especially when the new '08 comes out) will retain the top two spots, but I think this car is a viable competitor now.

Before this ride, what did GM have? The Impala(SS is okay)? The Malibu? Bleh. Am I forgetting something? Probably, because most of GM's cars are forgettable.

What makes this a good car is it seems GM didn't hold back in giving the car the good stuff it needed. Good motor, good six-speed automatic, etc.

Quick Reply: New Saturn Aura: Great pictures!