Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Supra

Old 02-11-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Terrible color.

And whats the deal with the tall pinched tire sidewalls? That's not exactly performance enhancing. Nor does it look good.
It's funny how 18" wheels look small now. I remember the 17"s on my mom's old 1st-gen Audi TT looking huge.

The optional 19"s they offer don't look very good to me either (due to design, not size). To get a truly nice-looking wheel you have to opt for one of the 20" ones, at which point you're spending $3-5k more = $6-7k in options for the color blue and a decent set of wheels. There's a reason Porsche has the highest profit margins.......
Old 02-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

^^^Its not about the large or small rim size, its about sizing the tires appropriate to the rim size, which they clearly did not for some strange reason, they are very tall sidewall and muffen topped. 18's and 19's are plenty big enough, just run appropriate size tires on them. Those tires look like they have 50 series tall profile tires with tires that about about 3" too wide for the width rim. My 315/35/17's look way better on my smaller wheels and surely have way less sidewall deflection because they are not pinched on the rim! Thats my only point in making the comment. Its like Porsche decided to put together as inappropriate performing and ugly a wheel/tire package they could just to charge more for the proper one.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
^^^Its not about the large or small rim size, its about sizing the tires appropriate to the rim size, which they clearly did not for some strange reason, they are very tall sidewall and muffen topped. 18's and 19's are plenty big enough, just run appropriate size tires on them. Those tires look like they have 50 series tall profile tires with tires that about about 3" too wide for the width rim. My 315/35/17's look way better on my smaller wheels and surely have way less sidewall deflection because they are not pinched on the rim! Thats my only point in making the comment. Its like Porsche decided to put together as inappropriate performing and ugly a wheel/tire package they could just to charge more for the proper one.
It's because consumers these days want freaking dubs on a Cayman, so they have to design the car around 20" wheels and tires. They can't just put a low-profile tire on the base 18"s because the height of the wheel/tire would be really small, which would affect effective gearing/speedo/odo, ride height, fender gap, etc.

Believe it or not, the rear size is 265/45/18 (and 265/40/19 and 265/35/20). It likely looks tall because the tire is pretty wide and aspect ratio is a % of width. Rim width is 9.5" which is actually appropriate for 265s.

Side note: I found it interesting that the front and rear tire widths are the same for all 718 Boxster/Cayman models and all wheel sizes, all the way from base model to GTS.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I don't think that the wheels/tires shown in the Cayman photo look all that horrible. Then again, I'm of the opinion that by far the best looking coupe in this thread is the 240Z appearing in ZDan's signature.
The following users liked this post:
ZDan (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven
Pretty sure the C7 vents aren't "fake"... too bad those vents are the reason why the C7 is a hideous child's drawing.
They are on the quarters unless you get the z51 pack.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
My understanding is that Toyota approached Subaru, who were not terribly interested in doing a 2wd sport coupe, but Toyota talked them into it.

From the Wikipedia:
Toyota, led by project leader Tetsuya Tada,[7] then invited Subaru to partner in the project, by co-developing the new D-4S boxer engine.[8] The offer, which conflicted with Subaru's reputation for high performance all-wheel drive (AWD) cars, was rejected. The project came to a six-month halt before Toyota invited journalists and Subaru engineers to test a developmental prototype. Following the test, Subaru agreed to become further involved in development.

I have a 2017 BRZ Performance Package btw, LOVE it!
I didn't know you got an 86, that's your review on it?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:13 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
I don't think that the wheels/tires shown in the Cayman photo look all that horrible. Then again, I'm of the opinion that by far the best looking coupe in this thread is the 240Z appearing in ZDan's signature.

I share your opinion!

Biggest mistake of my car history was partial-trading that car for the V8 FD supercar instead of just paying more $$$
Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Would anyone here take a loaded Supra over a base Cayman at similar money?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

For a purely "fun" car, a Cayman does everything I want, looks great, is lighter, plenty fast, etc.. The base 718 Cayman with PDK should be pretty close to the Supra in a straight line for any "reasonable" street speeds and I'm betting it'll outhandle it as well (lower weight, tidier dimensions, etc). I can always get a manual transmission to increase the fun quotient, at the expense of some acceleration, and that's worth it to me as well. The Cayman looks way better, to my eye, so that'd be icing on the cake.

In reality, I'd probably buy a used Cayman GTS over a new Supra, for similar money.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
For a purely "fun" car, a Cayman does everything I want, looks great, is lighter, plenty fast, etc.. The base 718 Cayman with PDK should be pretty close to the Supra in a straight line for any "reasonable" street speeds and I'm betting it'll outhandle it as well (lower weight, tidier dimensions, etc). I can always get a manual transmission to increase the fun quotient, at the expense of some acceleration, and that's worth it to me as well. The Cayman looks way better, to my eye, so that'd be icing on the cake.

In reality, I'd probably buy a used Cayman GTS over a new Supra, for similar money.
Agree with it all, but new is new and once you introduce new Supra vs. Used "fill in the blank" all bets are off. New to new is the only fair comp.

Quick Reply: New Supra