Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Supra

Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 AM

Received 482 Likes on 366 Posts

The m2 and m4 for that matter has more in common with the mkiv supra than this new one. They should've just named it 3000gt, oh wait...

Anyway, I asked a similar question about the 370. The interior is dated but not that bad, supercharger really wakes it up, parts are cheap and it has a very analog feel to it.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
LC500 wouldn't be fun to toss around back roads? The Supra styling is bit juvenile for me, but that is who it is aimed at.
I think it's safe to say that the LC500 was not designed with tearing up twisty backroads in mind... 4400 lb on a 113" wheelbase just isn't going to be as immediate or as responsive, particularly when it is a grand-tourer targeted more toward affluent and pampered/coddled demographic. Here's what Car and Driver had to say: "While the rear steering made our test car feel somewhat aloof at the limit, this sleek wedge can play either a mellow grand tourer or a hunkered-down sports coupe, depending on which of the six driving modes you’ve selected (Eco, Comfort, Normal, Custom, Sport, and Sport+). A general sense of understeer reminds you not to push too hard, yet the LC always feels crisp and poised, thanks in part to its adjustable dampers."

Styling is of course subjective, but even if the LC500 were remotely on my radar (which it is not), there's no freaking way I'd buy a car with such a hideous face. Damn "spindle grill"...
Old 01-17-2019, 06:41 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
I think it's safe to say that the LC500 was not designed with tearing up twisty backroads in mind... 4400 lb on a 113" wheelbase just isn't going to be as immediate or as responsive, particularly when it is a grand-tourer targeted more toward affluent and pampered/coddled demographic. Here's what Car and Driver had to say: "While the rear steering made our test car feel somewhat aloof at the limit, this sleek wedge can play either a mellow grand tourer or a hunkered-down sports coupe, depending on which of the six driving modes you’ve selected (Eco, Comfort, Normal, Custom, Sport, and Sport+). A general sense of understeer reminds you not to push too hard, yet the LC always feels crisp and poised, thanks in part to its adjustable dampers."

Styling is of course subjective, but even if the LC500 were remotely on my radar (which it is not), there's no freaking way I'd buy a car with such a hideous face. Damn "spindle grill"...
Do you drive your cars at the limit on public roads? You did not bold "LC always feels crisp and poised".
Old 01-17-2019, 06:53 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Boy toy or man's car?
a light, short wheel base, sporty car is a boy toy?
stick to your GT cruiser.
for weekends, I’ll take boy toy over the man’s car

Last edited by S2020; 01-17-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020

a light, short wheel base, sporty car is a boy toy?
stick to your GT cruiser.
for weekends, I’ll take boy toy over the man’s car
If I want a light short wheel base car at the price point, it would be the Alfa 4C.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Do you drive your cars at the limit on public roads?
I don't. 7/10ths pace at most, on roads with good visibility and away from residential areas.
At the track, from lap one I'm at the limit (not infrequently beyond), and how a car behaves there is extremely important to me.

You did not bold "LC always feels crisp and poised".
"Crisp and poised", OK, but still "somewhat aloof" and "reminds you not to push too hard." I did include enough of their description to be honest and to show full context, of course I bolded the portions that stuck out to me.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
My main gripe with the car is that 3400 lb. is too heavy. I really hope they bring the 4-cylinder version to the U.S., it should be closer to 3200 lb.
If they do bring a MT to the US with the 6-cyl, I wonder how much weight that would save. If it gets down to 3,300lbs, that's not terrible these days.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

The LC500 is a great looking and nice car, but its akin to a Aston martin. Its heavy and refined for touring, with a healthy dose of power that makes it fun for spirited jaunts. Its not a canyon carver. The new Supra though a bit portly at 3400 for a canyon carver, shouldn't really be in the same conversation as the LC500 inmop.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
Foremost, I am happy Toyota is bringing a performance vehicle market; however, white98ls's sentiment is what first comes to my mind when honestly shopping. If you can afford this car, you can afford the M2. Both are built by the same manufacturer, but one has a patently better drivetrain: manual or DCT and stronger motor. Unless you really love the styling or want an automatic, you get the M2 since you're really not getting a supra. You're getting a BMW with a supra wrap. So why not get the better BMW?
Sport Auto tested the the new Z4 M40i in Euro spec (so 335hp) and found it was faster around the ring than the M2 they tested there. The Supra is going to be lighter (slightly) than the Z4. The Supra will deliver Z4 M40i performance at a price point lower than the M2.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It looks ok. The fact there is no manual is a shame. Don't buy it and show them manual demand is still there!

Quick Reply: New Supra