Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

New Supra

Old 01-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Last year, I had two choices a Lexus RC F or a S2000. The Lexus is too plush, too heavy it makes me want to fall asleep while the S2000 kept me entertained without infotainment. If the new Supra is 500 lbs lighter than the RC with even more power its gonna be a lot of fun and being that the handling is designed by BMW might be better and look better than an M2. M2 fugly going fast...IMO

Speaking of automakers, Honda/Acura needs to step up their game! The only thing fun they offer is a $160k NSX, which i cant ever afford

Last edited by vicrc; 01-17-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally find the appearance to be quite nice. It's a bit puffy but IMO it seems like one of those cars that would look better in person than in pictures.

If a manual option comes out I will be very excited. Having experienced the B58 powerplant in the BMW 2/3 series it's a great engine. The 2JZ was epic for its power potential but not everybody wants a straight line rocket / drag strip hero. IMO 400whp-ish in a 3,400 lbs car is right around the limit for a "balanced" driving experience (corner carving, spirited on-ramp blasts, etc.). Hoping the new Supra offers good driving dynamics, can't wait for driving reviews.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:26 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

FYI guys, the car is a <$1000 flash away from 400+hp, and Toyota is marketing 0-60 in 4.1 on their website, so the car is going to be more than quick enough, I mean sub 4 seconds to 60 with a decent tune, slow it will not be. The weight is concerning, but all cars these days weigh at least that much and still get great reviews. What it will lack is that old school mechanical feeling that people are so wax poetic about, but what does these days?

I dunno, the car is growing on me, I still won't buy it until I see how it long term cost of ownership is on it because I have my concerns but give it a couple years when they sell below MSRP, should be a fun car to have. Considering Caymans these days laughably start at 57k (because options will tack on another 50%), its only real competition is the Z4, the Audi TT, the vette, and a few others I'm forgetting. I'd probably spring for the M2, but this car is almost 10k less and the base model has just about everything I would want anyway.

Flat out, no one is making a sub 3000lb, over 300hp, rwd, manual, that looks good enough for most of you, and cost under 50k, let alone from any of our beloved Japanese brands. But here's hoping that the new Z does, or that Mazda crams real power into the ND.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesD89 View Post
Sport Auto tested the the new Z4 M40i in Euro spec (so 335hp) and found it was faster around the ring than the M2 they tested there. The Supra is going to be lighter (slightly) than the Z4. The Supra will deliver Z4 M40i performance at a price point lower than the M2.
The time they report for the Z4 is 7.55 and the time for the M2 competition (the 2019 M2 which is about 8k more) is 7.52. Those times may as well be identical, and it does illustrate how capable the Z4 can be and it's a performance bargain. If we were to take Ring times as the end all barometer of performance cars, the Z4 is the better car. I definitely amend my previous position. The M2 does not appear to be the *clearly* superior BMW (at least in this regard).

Those shifts were respectably quick as well.

Last edited by bruthaboost; 01-17-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Jub

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
LC500 wouldn't be fun to toss around back roads? The Supra styling is bit juvenile for me, but that is who it is aimed at.
If Toyota is marketing a $50k sports car to juveniles, I think their marketing team is making a huge error. Idk how many people under 30 are seriously considering a brand new $50k sports cars.

The design looks more like an 86 from the angle here than I had initially thought. I'm glad Toyota is making a new Supra but have mixed feelings about the platform sharing. On one hand, I want to say blasphemy. However, I think it may just be a sign of how tough the market is for sports cars. Having one manufacturer invest the R&D for a dedicated, small volume platform doesn't make sense in a lot of cases. It looks ok and I hope it sells well. I don't think I'd ever own one. The old one isn't exactly my cup of tea either, especially for the crazy prices they are going for.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 232 Likes on 220 Posts

Its a detail that some may not care about, but I have to think for the enthusiast minded demographic that would be interested in this car, it would be an important feature. Especially if they thought they were a functional option prior to purchase.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...cid=spartanntp
Old 01-18-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Fake vents are lame. What is this the 60s/70s domestics all over again? Even Dodge/GM/Ford has stopped with these.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2 View Post
Fake vents are lame. What is this the 60s/70s domestics all over again? Even Dodge/GM/Ford has stopped with these.
In fairness, Ford has pretty much stopped making cars altogether.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls View Post
In fairness, Ford has pretty much stopped making cars altogether.
touche!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2 View Post
Things like that are whey I made the statement about juvenile look of the Supra. Fake vents are for the fast and furious wannabe consumer.

Quick Reply: New Supra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands