Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Supra - who wanted this?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
With a BMW total cost of ownership. Just keep that part in mind when looking at the price tag.

That powertrain is pretty solid. A lot of that car is going to be Toyota parts bin, and Toyota parts bin quality. The current inline turbo sixes from BMW are reliable, smooth a pretty efficient. The huge high flow fuel pump problems and early vanos are in the past. My current BMW turbo four has a timing chain issue in that model 4 but not the sixes. It is BMW sub-components that can be huge headaches and very expensive. But I will say I am at 6 years and 45,000 on mine with $0 out of pocket spent besides a set of tires and a couple DIY oil changes.

For me personally, I would not be worried about reliability with this car, but value is an issue for me.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I see the value of this car. Toyota already brought back the mkiv Supra, is called the LC500
Old 05-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Toyota announced a year, two years ago, I forget which with all the automotive news day to day. But the nutshell is the head dude more or less said "Yeah we ack that we have made soulless vehicles for many many years and we have no sportscars in the lineup any longer. This was a mistake, one which we will begin to address soon."
Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Toyota announced a year, two years ago, I forget which with all the automotive news day to day. But the nutshell is the head dude more or less said "Yeah we ack that we have made soulless vehicles for many many years and we have no sportscars in the lineup any longer. This was a mistake, one which we will begin to address soon by re-badging a BMW and throwing some of our bodywork on it. Not too different from our Subaru FT86. We'd like the return of the "three brothers", and might half-ass an MR2 as well."
Fixed.

Last edited by vader1; 05-16-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

People asked for a Supra, but what we got is a Z4 in a kimono.
The following 2 users liked this post by Saki GT:
JonBoy (05-17-2019), WolfpackS2k (05-17-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

many of the design and marketing departments in the big automakers have missed the mark on so many vehicle models, who are they hiring for these jobs ? Are there no more "car guys/gals" at these companies ? I think they are hiring people with business degrees to design cars and decide what I want to buy. It seems upside down.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
People asked for a Supra, but what we got is a Z4 in a kimono.
Agreed. I somewhat understand the argument from Toyota saying it HAD to have in inline 6 and the only way to get that was pair up with BMW. However, up until the R35 all GTRs had an inline 6 as well. I haven't encountered anyone arguing the current GTR isn't a real GTR cause it has a V motor, or it's a weaker version compared to its progenitors. It's a pity they didn't use an in house v6, boost it, and put in a shrunk and lightened LCF platform. If the car delivers on performance, few would a problem with it evolving. What folks have a problem with is something portraying to be something that it isn't. It's exceedingly unlikely the costumed BMW will have long term Toyota reliability or cost of ownership.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:45 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Fixed.
If there wasn't this BMW cooperation, agreement, whatever, you wouldn't have this car. Toyo had no inline 6 in dev and they were insistent it be an inline 6. I guess they could have put one of their V6's in it and turbocharged it but you have to remember the Japanese are traditionalists, moreso than any other country that manus vehicles. So do a vs. Tradition (inline 6) vs. Tradition (all in house). Good luck with that.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiHonda
All the reviews I saw mentioned it, smoking tire, demuro, engineering explained, jalopnik. It seems like they are potentially functional. Toyota said they planned for aftermarket companies to replace them with functional vents. One journalist asked if Toyota could as well. They said yes. The speculation is that Toyota could later make a higher performance version with a bigger engine, brakes etc that could make use of more cooling. That said, do I want fake vents on my car? No.
The Jalopnik article more or less explicitly stated that most of the vents CANNOT be made functional. I mean, sure, any vent can be made possible with the help of a saw. Because that's the only way you're making the hood "vents" actually vent. And the largest vents of all, on the rear doors/fenders? To make those functional at all you would have cut up sheetmetal from the unit body itself. Sounds like a great idea.

Seems like a great car, and attractive from most angles (though pretty frumpy from a few others, oddly enough) but it's disappointing to me because it's not like this is a Toyota sports car with a BMW engine. It's a BMW everything, except the body panels and suspension tuning. That plus lack of manual option (which I'm convinced is 100% because BMW won't let them) disappoints me.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 97 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
The Jalopnik article more or less explicitly stated that most of the vents CANNOT be made functional. I mean, sure, any vent can be made possible with the help of a saw. Because that's the only way you're making the hood "vents" actually vent. And the largest vents of all, on the rear doors/fenders? To make those functional at all you would have cut up sheetmetal from the unit body itself. Sounds like a great idea.

Seems like a great car, and attractive from most angles (though pretty frumpy from a few others, oddly enough) but it's disappointing to me because it's not like this is a Toyota sports car with a BMW engine. It's a BMW everything, except the body panels and suspension tuning. That plus lack of manual option (which I'm convinced is 100% because BMW won't let them) disappoints me.
It's far from a BMW w different clothes and the difference is the suspension and chassis development that Toyota was a large part of. It is a co-developed chassis between BMW and Toyota, and it would not have been as sporty without Toyota involved. It doesn't seem to handle like a German car - watch the Smoking Tire 's videos - German cars do not turn in like that. Per the reviews I think it will handle and drive a good bit different than the z4.

Also I'm having a hard time understanding the "it's too expensive" argument. Are you serious? If you took how much the supra was sold for in the 90s and accounted for inflation it'd be around 70k+ like a cayman. The target audience and closest competition to this is the Cayman and m2. If you are comparing this to the aging 370Z then it's not the right car for you... This car is comparatively cheap to its competition

Quick Reply: The new Supra - who wanted this?