Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Supra - who wanted this?

Old 05-22-2019, 03:57 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
And yet it's 700 lb heavier than a BRZ and the same weight as the (larger?) Corvette. That this is the best BMW can do with a "ground up" design is ridiculous.

I know some people have way more disposable income than others, but the only reason heavy sports cars handle so well in spite of their weight are their tires. Which wear out quickly and are quite large. Personally I like to avoid that. $1000/set for tires that last 20,000 miles is acceptable to me.

BTW last time I was in a Mustang the rear seat looked to be the same size as that in a BRZ, at least as far as leg room goes.
Don't forget the electronic nannies. BMW doesn't make good sports cars. Fast, sporty GT cars, maybe. The Z4 has always been a disappointment, and a Z4 based Supra will always have that handicap. At least the Supra has always been a GT, so no news there.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:22 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Yeah I just can't figure out why BMW, as well as Tada, were bragging about the new "lightweight" Z4. In comparable trim (3.0 liter turbo 6) it's 50lb lighter than the last generation. And that one had a retractable hardtop. Such progress...

RE: electronic nannies, I can't fully disable PSM on my Cayman. Tried doing donuts in the snow once; didn't work out so well. Truth be told I'm okay with that though hahahah.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:17 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Don't forget the electronic nannies. BMW doesn't make good sports cars. Fast, sporty GT cars, maybe. The Z4 has always been a disappointment, and a Z4 based Supra will always have that handicap. At least the Supra has always been a GT, so no news there.
The Z4 has always been a disappointment? My Z4 M Coupe was anything but a disappointment: fast, comfortable, agile, focused, and reliable as well. Heck, the mid-to-late 2000s Z4 3.0si was also a great little car - quite quick, relatively cheap and good-handling while being comfortable as well.

The last-gen Z4 was trying too hard - it had a brutal suspension compared to the competition - but it looked great and was plenty quick as well, with the 3.0T engine. It was less of a sportscar and more of a GT, as you mention, but to label the Z4 as "always a disappointment" is quite at odds with my experience, especially looking at it beyond the last generation.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL. most of the haters have no clue about BMW's inline-6 engine. it is one of the best on the planet.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:27 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by diabloAP1
LOL. most of the haters have no clue about BMW's inline-6 engine. it is one of the best on the planet.
It's a very solid engine. You have to remember people are mfr. fanboys and nut huggers. But there are many of us who just don't care about mfr's. We look at models individually, evaluating the pros and cons. This motor is outstanding and the car is solid. At the wheels it's putting up very impressive numbers for the price. Toyo/BMW did an outstanding job with it. Hopefully we see a manual in the future. Some people just bitch about everything. More choices on the market in a g damn sea of CUV's is nothing but positives.
The following users liked this post:
S2K_VS (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by diabloAP1
It's the auxiliary parts/systems that are typically problematic (and expensive). While "the engine" may be fine, if we have to replace or fix anything attached to the engine, we typically associate it with the engine as well. Take the N55 as an example (the updated version of the more problematic N54).

The the oil pan gasket is problematic and "part of the engine" (and ridiculous that it would need changing as soon as it does). So is the valve cover gasket (and valve cover - plastic!) and the oil filter housing gasket. Same as the water pump going out prematurely (compared to most cars). PCV valve is another common problem.

Some of those are easy fixes (OFHG) and some are not (oil pan gasket can be $1000+, on an xDrive car).

Will the BMW engines blow up? Nope. But if you don't have warranty, you can definitely spend thousands keeping them running well, dealing with "minor issues" that you probably won't face on a Lexus or Acura, for instance...
Old 05-24-2019, 09:09 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

I like it overall. It's like a Toyota/BMW re-incarnation of the "clown shoe" - my favorite BMW.

It could do with a 6-speed, which I think will eventually show up after all of the outcry from the enthusiasts. If they're smart, it's probably part of their sales and marketing plan to release one after 2 years to "refresh" the car.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:14 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
So is the valve cover gasket (and valve cover - plastic!)
BMW can't make a valve cover gasket that lasts to save their lives. I've owned two BMW V8s and all four cylinder banks have had leaky valve cover gaskets (not leaking to the point there is oil under the car, but weeping on cars with 60-80k miles). Super quick and easy to replace on some garden-variety 4-cylinder, but on each of my M cars, it's a V8 with a complicated intake and ITBs so it takes a couple of hours.

It's such a basic thing, which makes it even more infuriating that they cannot seem to do it properly.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:24 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
It's a very solid engine. You have to remember people are mfr. fanboys and nut huggers. But there are many of us who just don't care about mfr's. We look at models individually, evaluating the pros and cons. This motor is outstanding and the car is solid. At the wheels it's putting up very impressive numbers for the price. Toyo/BMW did an outstanding job with it. Hopefully we see a manual in the future. Some people just bitch about everything. More choices on the market in a g damn sea of CUV's is nothing but positives.
Nailed it.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:52 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The fact that so much of this Supra thread is devoted to BMW is the exact problem with the new Supra. It may be a fine car, but it's a German car in It's DNA - basically a cut-price Z4.
The following users liked this post:
flexer (05-30-2019)

Quick Reply: The new Supra - who wanted this?