Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Tesla roadster

Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Bingo. He's writing cheques his engineers can't cash. He's a great visionary but he's always making promises that make no sense. He hasn't hit a production target (on time) or a product release (on time) yet. When you declare the Model 3 to be "released" and then you build 300 over a few months, it ain't released or ready for release.

He needs an actual COO with production experience to give timelines that his employees can hit. Musk used to have some of the best engineers in the business working for him. Most have left, with good reason: he commits them to nonsensical timelines that have no basis in reality. He has no respect for the time it takes to set up, test, revise (loop until good) and qualify production processes in a high-volume plant, making something as complex as a vehicle.

The OEMs are going to eat his lunch. Making a wildly powerful vehicle (ICE or electric) has never been an issue. Making one that works well, all the time, in all conditions, is a tougher issue and the OEMs are way better at it than he ever will be. Why? Because he refuses to learn from their mistakes and instead forges his own path....that makes the same mistakes all over again. His hubris is what's holding Tesla production back.

Great mind but just lacking some common sense.

Like the NSX?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
curious to know how it did? DId it handle like a tank?
TBH the student was a bit scary and I spent the couple of sessions trying to get him safe so I could start working with him. Acceleration out of the box was fast as shit, the first session he nailed it outta pit exit and it startled me. The other instructors said it was like someone punted me down the race track. Handling, you can certainly tell it is heavy but my limited observation was it didn't handle the weight terribly probably because most of the weight is really low in the car. The level of assistance the car provides is very intrusive, to the point where it was a challenge for me to provide instruction. That said the assist saved us from some issues on a couple of occasions.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Like the NSX?
Trolls gonna troll. You need to get over yourself and move on with life. Seriously, what are you adding to the conversation?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
I’m excited for Tesla and what comes next. Im not getting the people that can’t hold a stick to Elon and sit in their basement and knock this man. He is pushing technology so far ahead of so many other companies. He’s making the world a better place by introducing these awesome new toys.

What I haven’t read in here is the low center of gravity this car will have. If it’s around 4000 pounds and they put in a decent suspension system, why wouldn’t it corner?

One of my reservation on this car is the insane stats it’s putting out. What track is ready for these numbers in a HPDE course? The limits are so damn high, offs will be so much further than most cars.

The future is here. In 20 years, we will have electric cars whipping around the road course like no big deal and will make my s2 look like a Yugo.
I think critiquing car related news is what this forum is suppose to be for.
I'm not exactly sure what technology Musk is pushing that the other manufactures can't do. He has yet to make money on the any of the cars and his company is propped up by investors who is banking the company making money in the future. Unfortunately, the other car makers just don't have this luxury. If he is truly trying to make the wold better he should focus effort to fix the model 3 production woes. Introducing this roadster is just a distraction.

The future is not here yet and there is no way in 20 years we will all be electric cars. Where do you think all the electricity comes from? It is not enough time to upgrade the entire world's electric grid to handle everyone owning an electric car.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I guess I have a question which spoils a bit of fun........Why is nobody pointing out that a car capable of 0-100 in 4.2 seconds probably going to be pretty dangerous? I mean, there will be a few idiots hitting near 100 mile per hour in about one long city block, and if someone steps out in front of this fairly silent car, it still has to obey the laws of physics when bringing a few thousand pounds to a stop.

The same could be said about lots of cars and rich Saudi kids and newly rich Chinese kids have been in some pretty spectacular accidents with hypercars, but at least you can hear most of those potential disasters coming.

Still it would be fun to take one for a spin though.
The following users liked this post:
fusionchickenleg (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

That's a fair point. I would say that the kind of people who can afford a car like this are (on average) going to have more sense than your typical Billy Ray Mufflerdick, though. I'm in far less danger of murdering someone with a car than I was when I was younger, for the simple fact that I now have some assets I wish to protect and behave accordingly.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
The future is not here yet and there is no way in 20 years we will all be electric cars. Where do you think all the electricity comes from? It is not enough time to upgrade the entire world's electric grid to handle everyone owning an electric car.
That's where solar panels come in, presumably. Solar already makes decent economic sense for many people, and that will only improve. But yes, I agree 20 years to be all-electric is probably not happening.
Originally Posted by vader1
I guess I have a question which spoils a bit of fun........Why is nobody pointing out that a car capable of 0-100 in 4.2 seconds probably going to be pretty dangerous? I mean, there will be a few idiots hitting near 100 mile per hour in about one long city block, and if someone steps out in front of this fairly silent car, it still has to obey the laws of physics when bringing a few thousand pounds to a stop.
Most definitely. I recently drove a new NSX and thought that kind of power, deployed that easily/effectively, was kind of absurd on a public road for a car any licensed driver can go and buy. This Tesla would get to 100 three seconds faster, which to me is insane.

Good point on braking. It's kind of like all those people with 4WD/AWD driving fast in snow/ice, forgetting that they can't stop any better than someone in a comparable 2WD car.
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
That's a fair point. I would say that the kind of people who can afford a car like this are (on average) going to have more sense than your typical Billy Ray Mufflerdick, though. I'm in far less danger of murdering someone with a car than I was when I was younger, for the simple fact that I now have some assets I wish to protect and behave accordingly.
If the Tesla drivers around here are anything to judge by, I think you give them too much credit.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls

If the Tesla drivers around here are anything to judge by, I think you give them too much credit.
Yeah. I consider myself a pretty responsible driver, uh, well, most of the time, but with that kind of instant acceleration I would be hitting the go pedal ALL the time just for thrills.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
You honestly think that Elon walks away from tesla for $50M!?! I feel like "Number 2" from Austin Powers, but even changing it to $50B would make no difference.
Telsa not a very profitable company. Without all the government kick backs they receive things might be quite different. Take a real close look the numbers they report each year.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Gas engines are OVER. Fast forward 10 years and non electrics will be pig slow antiques. Even now, the new roadster just buried every record, and nearly doubled the max range of the S. The range of 600+ miles is a deal maker for me. As long as you can charge up at night there would be no reason to stick to gas power.
When the batteries get down to half their current weight (when and not if) we will see acceleration number limited only by the physiological constraints of the human body.
​​​​​​​Zero to 60 in one second flat would be entirely possible. Corneas detach sometimes in that type of acceleration.

Quick Reply: New Tesla roadster