Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Tesla roadster

Old 11-17-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

seats 4? LOL
Old 11-17-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tesla accountant: We lost over $600 million last quarter and need more cash to keep the lights on!
Musk: Get the computer geeks to come up with car CGI and we'll make people front the money for a reservation
Tesla accountant: but we have no money to fund the development cost of another car!
Musk: *Direct deposits the $50 million into personal bank account and flies away*
The following users liked this post:
flexer (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The amount of battery it will take to meet the performance figures they tossed out is going to add so much weight to the car (not to mention that it's a 2+2 and not a real roadster) that it's handling is going to suffer. It may be fast in a straight line by the time they release it in 2025, but I doubt it will corner.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

10,000 Nm / 7,375 lb-ft at the wheels. For comparison, AP1 peak torque at the wheels in 1st gear is 2,280 lb-ft.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kmac
200k though, really
LOL, car beats every metric from every production car in history and you're complaining it costs the same as an R8.
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Arent these just numbers generated by Tesla? They usually don't allow anyone to do any other testing right? The price point is outrages , and there track record with actually producing and delivering things they talk about are not all that great. I guess time will tell
I actually think their track record is pretty good, other than delays. They have pretty much delivered on promises for range, performance, gullwing doors, etc. They've just arrived a little late, but IMO not outrageously late.
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
No effing way they hit those published specs and not for 200k, those are 1.5MM supercar beating numbers. 1/4 mile in 8.9 LOL
Why not? They're already beating every sedan in acceleration (at least at the sub-100mph speeds they advertise) for a reasonable price. The thing with electric motors (which I actually don't like) is you can just stuff bigger batteries and bigger motors in and it'll go like crazy. No gears to worry about, flat and instant torque, easy to hook up AWD. I see little reason why this won't be able to produce jaw-dropping numbers. The Model S/X do and they're huge 5k+ lbs cars.

Now will it handle even close to a McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Vette, etc.? THAT I am highly confident it won't come close to. But plenty of people won't care.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
Tesla accountant: We lost over $600 million last quarter and need more cash to keep the lights on!
Musk: Get the computer geeks to come up with car CGI and we'll make people front the money for a reservation
Tesla accountant: but we have no money to fund the development cost of another car!
Musk: *Direct deposits the $50 million into personal bank account and flies away*
You honestly think that Elon walks away from tesla for $50M!?! I feel like "Number 2" from Austin Powers, but even changing it to $50B would make no difference.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Awesome! AWD, way lighter than anything Tesla builds, all that torque right at launch - I don't know why it's not possible. Consider that it'll probably make somewhere around 800-1000 hp and it's not difficult to see it hitting those targets.

No bulky engines to hide anywhere, so they can make it low, sleek and aerodynamically optimized in ways that traditional cars can't. Keep the weight down low and it should be an amazing machine to drive, despite it's probably higher-than-typical weight.

It won't be 3000 lbs, I wouldn't imagine, but 3500 lbs with a very slippery drag coefficient could make for a very quick car in all situations. Add in crazy range (620 miles?!?!) and what's not to love? You're getting Honda Accord Hybrid "economy" and Dodge Demon straight line performance (and then some) for the price of a 911 Turbo S.

I only have one question: when you're pushing it hard, how long will it maintain top performance? Can you track it or is this more of a straight-line machine, like the current Teslas?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
Um, they already built it.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nN...ature=youtu.be

so they can already do the performance, at least the acceleration, top speed...i bet they can, no problem, might already be there.

The challenge as I see it, but I don't know their state of the art (i'm sure someone on there will pretend to be a battery expert) is how do you get double the power of the P100D while reducing weight. Simple back of the napkin says the batteries should weigh around 3000lbs. Obviously, that's a non starter for a sports car, braking, handling, the suspension itself will be super tech or just not good enough. I feel like they are probably looking at the power density curve of their batteries and are predicting to what will be avail by 2020ish. If they accomplish it, it will be as groundbreaking as anything that has ever happened in the automotive industry...ever. I'm hopeful. I will be watching it closely and plan on putting a deposit down, in the future. I'm not willing to "kickstart' it right now, but I'm glad others (with a lot more money than me) are willing to.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:49 AM

Also, how can you not root for a car with "Plaid Mode?"
The following users liked this post:
JamesD89 (11-20-2017)

Quick Reply: New Tesla roadster