Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Tesla roadster

Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Um, they already built it.
Looks like they built a one off concept prototype. So just need 999 more.

Originally Posted by ealand0001
You honestly think that Elon walks away from tesla for $50M!?! I feel like "Number 2" from Austin Powers, but even changing it to $50B would make no difference.
Ah...I don't mean it as he is walking away from the company for $50mil but more like he doesn't care how they are going to develop it being the marketing genius Musk is. He'll leave that problem for some other poor souls.

Last edited by ishtori5; 11-17-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
Ah...I don't mean it as he is walking away from the company for $50mil but more like he doesn't care how they are going to develop it being the marketing genius Musk is. He'll leave that problem for some other poor souls.
hmmm...maybe. If you haven't seen a space-x rocket lauch, do yourself a favor. I think the dude has a lot of ideas about how to fund and push his ultimate goal of redoing our power distribution infrastructure. He has a long way to go, this is just the beginning. I don't see him going anywhere or becoming less involved anytime soon.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ealand0001
hmmm...maybe. If you haven't seen a space-x rocket lauch, do yourself a favor. I think the dude has a lot of ideas about how to fund and push his ultimate goal of redoing our power distribution infrastructure. He has a long way to go, this is just the beginning. I don't see him going anywhere or becoming less involved anytime soon.
His ideas and ambitions are great for thing like the boring company, hyperloop or solar city.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
It won't be 3000 lbs, I wouldn't imagine, but 3500 lbs with a very slippery drag coefficient could make for a very quick car in all situations. Add in crazy range (620 miles?!?!) and what's not to love? You're getting Honda Accord Hybrid "economy" and Dodge Demon straight line performance (and then some) for the price of a 911 Turbo S.
Think well northward of 4,000lbs at best (The P85D is nearly 5,000lbs.) The basic Model S had a 40 kWh battery that was nearly 29% of it's mass at 1,323lbs (curb 4,600lbs). https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-weight/

Everything I've been able to find on the weight of the 85 kWh battery pack puts it somewhere around 1,200lbs. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...10#post-908698 So they doubled the power while only shedding about 10% of the weight. Going by the cell weights listed in the link and assuming some generous weight reduction like before, the battery for the new roadster will be around 2,100lbs (200 kWh battery).

Assuming they're not banking on us making amazing leaps in battery technology in the next few years, the new roadster is probably something like 50% battery in terms of mass (again being generous). It is not likely to handle wildly better than the Model S and the curb weight is not going to help that situation. More than likely it will suffer from the same problems that the Model S does at the track and will be nothing more than a drag-racing, stop-light warrior for those with large pockets to brag about. For that price point, I'd rather have a real supercar that can handle more than 1-2 laps around the track.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Sheesh - that's horrible. Straightline rocketship is fine but 4000+ lbs is still a porker.

That said, the Jag F-Type in AWD trim is about 4000 lbs and that's a decent-handling car (and the Tesla should have a lower CG), so it may not be as bad as we think. Still, that's a lot of weight!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Awesome! AWD, way lighter than anything Tesla builds, all that torque right at launch - I don't know why it's not possible. Consider that it'll probably make somewhere around 800-1000 hp and it's not difficult to see it hitting those targets.

No bulky engines to hide anywhere, so they can make it low, sleek and aerodynamically optimized in ways that traditional cars can't. Keep the weight down low and it should be an amazing machine to drive, despite it's probably higher-than-typical weight.
Will certainly have as much torque as road going cars can handle on launch. The design is still quite limited due to pedestrian impact laws in Europe. They'd rather see someone get split in the middle than thrown over the car...
Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 11-17-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
The basic Model S had a 40 kWh battery that was nearly 29% of it's mass at 1,323lbs (curb 4,600lbs).

Everything I've been able to find on the weight of the 85 kWh battery pack puts it somewhere around 1,200lbs. So they doubled the power while only shedding about 10% of the weight. Going by the cell weights listed in the link and assuming some generous weight reduction like before, the battery for the new roadster will be around 2,100lbs (200 kWh battery).
I don't think you're looking at that the right way. The 40kWh battery probably represents the oldest battery technology. In going to 85kWh, they more than doubled capacity. If they just added more cells, you'd expect the weight to double. That would have been 2600+ lbs of batteries! But it was (according to your numbers) more like 1200 due to improving battery techology. It would be more appropriate to say they more than doubled battery capacity, while shedding more than 50% of the battery weight. (2600+ down to 1200)

Going to a 200kWh battery pack with the car coming out in 2 years, they are no doubt expecting further battery advances and weight savings to materialize. I mean, if they just crammed in five of those 40kWh packs that are lying around, the car would carry 6500lbs worth of batteries. Clearly that is NOT going to happen. I'd be shocked if they even crammed a pair of existing 100kWh batteries in there. With Musk, always expect something new. Either higher battery voltages (less overall cells), or a different chemistry (lighter, better energy density, less cells), or better packaging (lighter). Or some of each...
Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
There is no doubt that electric motors are fantastic, but today's batteries suck. It's a promise of a 2+2 targa with real range and we all know promises perform very well.
Not correct. There have been huge strides in recent years and Tesla's new batteries going into the 3. Look up the mileage they are rated for. I think the axles/dc motors are rated for 400k.

Things be changing quick. Tesla's issues are the same issues any new startup would face entering into over a century old business going up major league players.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:47 AM

What exactly is the point of this car? I still can't understand why people are excited about this. No matter how much advances they made recently on battery technology it is going to add extra weight to the car. Extra weight = poor performance and this is marketed to be a sports roadster? Sure it is going to be a drag strip monster but is there going to be anything else this car will be good at?

For $250k...I much rather get exicted about this:

Quick Reply: New Tesla roadster