Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Toyota Prius to have 1.8 Turbo

Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Toyota Prius to have 1.8 Turbo

Looks like the next iteration of the Toyota Prius will have a 1.8ltr Turbo. Wow. Ultimate sleeper ;-)
Old 06-06-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a link to prove what you are saying?

Assuming it's true, I think this may have been a decision based upon VW's rather successful TSI engines. super-turboing a small engine seems to be netting them quite powerful little buzzers while keeping displacement low. CAR magazine has a blurb about how VW will be using 2 TSI engines in Europe, of 1.2 and 1.4 liter displacements. The engines will make anwhere from 110-190bhp. 190hp from a super-turboed 4 is freaking awesome. And it has pretty high mpg to boot.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Tubo Diesel or gas? I always wondered why VW did not try a hybrid starting with the TDI engine. Seems to me they might achieve milage of 60+ pretty easy that way.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:51 AM

Nice! Everyone seems to be turboing these days. Honda and BMW have recently started having turbochargers for the first time in the U.S.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Purple_sky,Jun 6 2006, 11:51 AM
Nice! Everyone seems to be turboing these days. Honda and BMW have recently started having turbochargers for the first time in the U.S.
Yeah thts exactly what i was hinting at with the topic description. Soooo many turbo cars coming out. It's almost PC to have one now. LoL
Old 06-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,Jun 6 2006, 11:17 AM
Is there a link to prove what you are saying?

Assuming it's true, I think this may have been a decision based upon VW's rather successful TSI engines. super-turboing a small engine seems to be netting them quite powerful little buzzers while keeping displacement low. CAR magazine has a blurb about how VW will be using 2 TSI engines in Europe, of 1.2 and 1.4 liter displacements. The engines will make anwhere from 110-190bhp. 190hp from a super-turboed 4 is freaking awesome. And it has pretty high mpg to boot.
They'll be making the rounds soon.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

turbocharger FTW!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:19 PM

Due to my business connection to Toyota, I was seriously thinking about getting a Pirus and tune it for better performance and handling. I think Pirus has an interesting shape and the potential to become a unique family car with improved performance.

Later I found that Pirus chasis is econo seden based, and was never meant to be tuned. Some Pirus owner tried different suspension setting but could never get it right. The hybrid platform also discourages people from treaking the power plant. So I gave up the idea.

I would love to see better hp and suspension with Pirus. Otherwise it is just too boring to own one.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smartson,Jun 7 2006, 01:19 AM
Due to my business connection to Toyota, I was seriously thinking about getting a Pirus and tune it for better performance and handling. I think Pirus has an interesting shape and the potential to become a unique family car with improved performance.

Later I found that Pirus chasis is econo seden based, and was never meant to be tuned. Some Pirus owner tried different suspension setting but could never get it right. The hybrid platform also discourages people from treaking the power plant. So I gave up the idea.

I would love to see better hp and suspension with Pirus. Otherwise it is just too boring to own one.
You started with "...business connection" and went on to mispell Prius five times. I really don't care. I just hope you see the irony.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonjm,Jun 6 2006, 10:56 AM
Looks like the next iteration of the Toyota Prius will have a 1.8ltr Turbo. Wow. Ultimate sleeper ;-)
I would imagine the turbo to be very small and the block very weak due to the design goals of low weight and low friction losses.

Quick Reply: New Toyota Prius to have 1.8 Turbo