Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Wheeler Dealers

Old 10-14-2017, 12:48 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
Cosworth episode not bad, even had Mike actually doing something.

Third wing was cool, I'll watch again. BTW- they did mention man-hours of labor

Wish I could remember the name, but I actually watched a show last weekend about rescueing a Triumph Stag?. They admitted up front that they are POS but they rebuilt one and went to a Stag club meeting ( edit - Stag show was Ant Anstead, thought he looked familiar)

I watch too much TV
See my post above, the show is called "For the Love of Cars".
Old 10-14-2017, 05:02 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Edd didn't leave. He was constructively fired. Velocity Channel wanted the format changed (for some reason). I swear these "hour" shows are only 35 minutes with all the commercials which make them very hard to watch and haven't yet convinced me to buy any products. I'm gonna have to start VDRing them. Heck I can watch a hockey game is maybe 5 minutes: Fast forward thru lots of pointless skating around. Hit play when either the gloves come off the the sticks come up. Rewind 10 seconds, play, then fast forward again.

-- Chucik
Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was very impressed with the Supra episode. I watched last night (catching up) and I have to admit that Ant provided some pretty good info for folks that might not be well versed in auto repair. The head gasket vs. non head gasket demo was spot on. I think they have continued to improve the program over the years. I can only hope it peaks the interest of some young boy/girl to be the next generation enthusiast. That is becoming a pretty rare thing.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Edd didn't leave. He was constructively fired. Velocity Channel wanted the format changed (for some reason). I swear these "hour" shows are only 35 minutes with all the commercials which make them very hard to watch and haven't yet convinced me to buy any products. I'm gonna have to start VDRing them. Heck I can watch a hockey game is maybe 5 minutes: Fast forward thru lots of pointless skating around. Hit play when either the gloves come off the the sticks come up. Rewind 10 seconds, play, then fast forward again.

-- Chucik
The majority of TV shows all follow the same running time, a 30 minute show is 20 minutes with 10 minutes of commercials, and a one hour show is 40 minutes with 20 minutes of commercials. The exceptions to this is the pay channels/services (HBO, Showtime, Netflix, etc) which of course run without commercials, and many of their shows run for a full hour, or 30 minutes without interruption. 90% of shows I watch are pre-recorded by my DVR, and I skip through the commercials. Sporting events I prefer to watch live, but will usually skip to another game while commercials play.

I have watched the first two episodes of this season, and have enjoyed the show. I prefer Edd over Ant, but honestly I will watch just about any car related programming. I did wonder if Velocity/Discovery purposefully is adding the technical bits in the show to spite Edd for leaving, because they are exactly the kind of thing he wanted to include and the network wanted to move away from. If so, that is really petty, but I am enjoying them.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

Saab 96, next week. This one has promise.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM

I initially prepared myself to no longer support the show without Edd, but surprisingly Ant is quite good. As long as the content doesn’t take a drastic turn, I think the show will remain just as good as ever.

Edd is rumored to be getting his own show, also on Velocity, so I doubt the producers are trying to spite him.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 482 Likes on 366 Posts

I finally got around to watching it, and I find it's still good. I'm a big edd fan and think he's a better personality but all the elements that made the show watchable for me are still there. I just hope they do more cars that I feel are more relevant as there are still so many. 240sx, mk2 mr2, 1g and 2g dsms, Celica all Trac, all the late 80s and 90s hondas.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:44 AM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

Mustang Mach I was okay. Except, for TOO MANY COMMERCIALS. Esp for other Velocity shows (like Barrett-Jackson). You could tell much of the show was edited out, due to the commercials. Gonna only watch DVR'ed episodes.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:59 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Mustang Mach I was okay. Except, for TOO MANY COMMERCIALS. Esp for other Velocity shows (like Barrett-Jackson). You could tell much of the show was edited out, due to the commercials. Gonna only watch DVR'ed episodes.
Yeah, I agree. The Mach 1 episode was my least favorite of the last 3 and I was not a fan of the wheel/tire setup or the interior they ended up with.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:11 AM

I thought the Mach I episode was pretty good. I will stick by my claim that it is an effective tool in breeding the next generation car enthusiast. That is a good thing. Japan effectively does this at a much younger age with Initial D, Wangan Nights, etc. I was amazed at how in depth these cartoons would go into about the intricacies of how cars function. Albeit, it is a cartoon and doesn't do a rebuild of a vehicle.