Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Wheeler Dealers

Old 10-11-2017, 02:54 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Ant Anstead first featured in a show called "For the Love of Cars".

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/f...guide/series-1

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/f...guide/series-2

They were pretty good, for the most part, and best of all, no Mike Brewer
Old 10-11-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Someone mention the XR4ti? Had one. Massive mistake! Within two years it blew the turbocharger on the highway not doing anything the remotest thing stupid. The amount of smoke out the exhaust was like a tactical smoke screen! Then it went thru two (2) distributors within 90 days of each other. This was all circa First Gulf War so quite a while ago. The leather seat seams ripped apart when I made the mistake of kneeling on one with one knee to grab something on the opposite side of the car.

-- Chuck
Old 10-11-2017, 04:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Someone mention the XR4ti? Had one. Massive mistake! Within two years it blew the turbocharger on the highway not doing anything the remotest thing stupid. The amount of smoke out the exhaust was like a tactical smoke screen! Then it went thru two (2) distributors within 90 days of each other. This was all circa First Gulf War so quite a while ago. The leather seat seams ripped apart when I made the mistake of kneeling on one with one knee to grab something on the opposite side of the car.

-- Chuck
I used to see one all of the time when I was in middle school (dating myself) and thought it was the coolest thing.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77
I used to see one all of the time when I was in middle school (dating myself) and thought it was the coolest thing.
They were popular in my town when new. German made. Virtually all were either white or red.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The first episode was just as technical with the rebuild details as the previous seasons; if not more technical actually. I thought they were trying to lessen that aspect of the show? So far, so good.
I agree, Hopefully they will keep it in the vein of the Edd show. If they do, makes me wonder why Edd left, if there were "creative differences" IMO Edd made that show also. I felt like I could relate, and tackle most of the stuff he was doing, and most would have been what I would do. I really like that approach. These shows that spend thousands to restore, and then don't show you how they do it infuriate me.

Wheeler dealers has almost been educational/tutorial type show, and I really hope it remains that way.

I realize the "Dealer" side of that show is a farce. No way he's finding those kind of deals on his own. Also, the fact that they don't really factor in the labor costs on their work is a little misleading on their profits.

Last edited by lane_viper; 10-12-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Cosworth episode not bad, even had Mike actually doing something.

Third wing was cool, I'll watch again. BTW- they did mention man-hours of labor

Wish I could remember the name, but I actually watched a show last weekend about rescueing a Triumph Stag?. They admitted up front that they are POS but they rebuilt one and went to a Stag club meeting ( edit - Stag show was Ant Anstead, thought he looked familiar)

I watch too much TV
Old 10-12-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Toyota Supra episode was good, too. The part on the interior clean-up and exhaust fix. I like Ant Anstead's personality. And Mike Brewer seems to have toned down his over-the-top antics.

Seems like a more mature show, now.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:34 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_viper
I agree, Hopefully they will keep it in the vein of the Edd show. If they do, makes me wonder why Edd left, if there were "creative differences" IMO Edd made that show also. I felt like I could relate, and tackle most of the stuff he was doing, and most would have been what I would do. I really like that approach. These shows that spend thousands to restore, and then don't show you how they do it infuriate me.

Wheeler dealers has almost been educational/tutorial type show, and I really hope it remains that way.

I realize the "Dealer" side of that show is a farce. No way he's finding those kind of deals on his own. Also, the fact that they don't really factor in the labor costs on their work is a little misleading on their profits.
Based on what I read, Edd left as the show producers wanted to focus less on the technical side and more on the commercial side, I'm guessing more like Gas Monkey etc. I'd guess they (producers) saw all the backlash from Edd leaving and decided to leave it as it was.

There was an article on Jalopnik about it - https://jalopnik.com/edd-china-is-le...y-w-1793498487

Edd is what made the show (for me) so him leaving sucks, not to take away from Ant joining as he's a decent guy and a good mechanic.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To each their own. I would watch the original but it was not high on my list. I have switched away from the new version; I don't find it entertaining.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Mike Brewer does the same, contrived, predictable thing at the beginning and the end of every show. Useless.
Mike Brewer did not have the balls to stick to his unwritten partnership with Edd China. Edd has pulled that knife out of his back and carries on today. Maybe we'll see him again.
Accordingly, I would not watch Mike Brewer again if he had the best automotive show in the history of television.

Quick Reply: New Wheeler Dealers