Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nissan Delta Wing

Old 10-24-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Definitely impressive but it is also an "unlimited" build with no class restrictions. Mid-pack LMP2 pace is pretty quick, that's for sure!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said, let everyone disregard the rules and you'll see cars that blow this thing away in every regard. There is nothing about this suspension/chassis layout that gives it a pure advantage EXCEPT (potentially) the aerodynamic improvement of having a narrow car profile (less swept area) that reduces drag/fuel economy. In a long race, that's a big deal. In a short race, it's almost worthless (ie, a race where you have to refuel only once or twice). Problem is, losing a few seconds each lap isn't going to make up for the time savings of not having a pitstop in most cases...

In the end, the argument is theoretical as we don't really know how fast this car is, nor how fuel efficient. I just cannot see how it is going to be faster than or as fast as a comparable conventionally built car.
I (and most others) would probably agree if not for the potential for steering with the rear wheels. If the machine can seamlessly integrate and respond to streeing wheel inputs with a torque vectoring/decreasing inner wheel speeds system, it technically could handle 'just fine' with only one wheel up front. You'd definitely need a wide rear track and sufficiently long wheel base. It would be very difficult to get it to work correctly in all speeds/conditions and I have an inkling that it wouldn't have to be far off before you are doing barrel rolls down the freeway. The technology might not be all that different than what future (current?) SH-AWD systems use to manipulate individual wheel speeds to enhance handling. But you are right, from a physics/engineering standpoint, even IF the torque vectoring system allows the rear wheels to streer the car without stability issues, the "real" benefits would be the consequential reductions in drag and or weight - not from the goofy shape itself.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Definitely impressive but it is also an "unlimited" build with no class restrictions. Mid-pack LMP2 pace is pretty quick, that's for sure!
The Deltawing was designed to that speed target. The guys running the 24 Hours of LeMans didn't want the Deltawing to be anywhere near the LMP1 pace; can't show up the queen at the dance. It's able to do the LMP2 pace at roughly half the horsepower which means about half the fuel consumption. Plus, it gets better tire wear. It's really a very impressive engineering feat.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesn't look anything like that jet..

But this on the other hand.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Seems like right now though alot of cars like to run into it..... Im wondering if its a visibility issue, or has something to do with its size.....
Old 10-26-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by civicson234
Seems like right now though alot of cars like to run into it..... Im wondering if its a visibility issue, or has something to do with its size.....
Maybe because the nose of the car is so narrow, other drivers think they have enough room to move over, but by the time they do the rest of the car is beside them.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:41 AM

I saw the Deltawing at Petit Le Mans, incredible to see going around a track. It had to start in the back of the grid, and after 4 laps it made its way to the front of the GT class which I thought was very impressive. There should be a lot of good things come out of this car, but they really need to paint it another color so other drivers can see it.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by MaxGeek
Originally Posted by civicson234' timestamp='1351292891' post='22111365
Maybe because the nose of the car is so narrow, other drivers think they have enough room to move over, but by the time they do the rest of the car is beside them.
In both crashes the other drivers hit the nose of the car. The wider rear was not part of the cause of the crash. Perhaps the narrow front means the driver didn't see the nose at all but at least so far the fact that the rears are wider hasn't appeared to be an issue.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 AM

i do recall hearing a few complaints from other drivers at Le Mans about its awkward shape, and that it was hard to see. I also remember some drivers compalining about the headlights on the rear fenders, making it look like 2 seperate cars at night, so they were unsure of when it was safe to move back over.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:21 PM

http://youtu.be/c_INdbXMqsw

Chris Harris on the Delta Wing.

Coolest car since, well, ever.

Quick Reply: Nissan Delta Wing