Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nissan Z / RX8 / S2000

Old 01-09-2002, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotary Engines are very reliable as long as you do not attach sequential turbo chargers to them to raise the engine temperature. Heat has always been a problem with the RX7 and not the engine itself. The intercoolers are always inadequate and upgrading this would definitely prolong the engine reliability factor on the Mazda. IMO about rotary on the new RX8 which is not turbocharged.

Nissan is finally making a comeback. But Honda will always be the apple of my eye.

Tan

Old 01-09-2002, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

front end looking exactly like the s2000.. Ah sh**t time for some new glasses for me then.. ???

-simon2000
Old 01-09-2002, 09:28 PM

Have y'all seen all the new ordering info @ www.nissandriven.com? I'm still not sold on the styling, but they have some really cool packages.

How about the track model?

- Brembo brakes
- 18" super-light Rays Engineering (i.e. Volk) wheels
- carbon fiber driveshaft
- alum. hood
- 280+ hp/267 tq (all models)
- drive by wire throttle
- LSD
- trac cont
- veh. stability system
- 6 sp.
- HID lights

Looks great on paper, at least!
Old 01-10-2002, 05:21 AM

That "Track" model looks so good. That price is incredible.

I recommend that just for fun you go to that nissan driven page and put one together for yourself.

Additionally if you click on the "Large" photos link you get to see some of the best pictures of that car yet.

My s2000 is not going anywhere. But I do like what I see in the 350Z, a lot.

For those who are still not taken by the looks of this car, take a look at those photos.

-- Tom
Old 01-10-2002, 06:12 AM

I hate to say it as I was not a fan of the Z when the new design first appeared. But after seeing the all new Z in person at the show, I was stunned. The car is very clean, and simple from up front and on the sides. Pictures will never do the car justice imo. The paint was spectacular, the silver looked like it was a clearcoated piece of aluminum, absolutely amazing. Now the rear end is another issue, but overall, it's a nice piece of machinery.

With the output and low pricing of the car, it should command a good audience.

Would I trade my S for one? Only time will tell... but for now, heck no!
Old 01-10-2002, 08:28 AM
WPS

wow you are right
the 350z is cheap, extremely cheap
6spd +rwd+ 280+hp = fun car
im going to have to look into this car
Old 01-10-2002, 12:18 PM

In some ways I have to agree with Rick, but in others I do not. . . (No Flames)

Yes, many automobiles that are currently on the market are using "retro themes" in conjunction with comtemporary styling. As Rick alluded to this doesn't always work, and often results in a car looking dated well before its time (i.e., Z/M Roadster).

However, if done properly, the use of retro styling on modern cars can turn a car into an instant classic that will easily withstand the test of time. Current examples include: BMW's Z8, Porsche's Boxster (though opinions vary), Ferrari 550, and I suspect the new '02 Viper will as well.

Remember, what gives a car a timeless styling usually has more to do with the lines (i.e., simiplicity of the design) and the lack of gimmicks (as Rick stated).

For example, most Lambos, Ferraris and Lotuses from the 70s and 80s still look great because of their generally clean styling. When looking at the new Z, I see a car that borrows heavily from other current cars (i.e. celica headlights, sc430 taillights, tt roofline) and older cars. However, the design is extremely clean and well done.

Think about it, the NSX is 10 years old, and only appears truly "dated" to people that really follow cars. Even a well maintained version of the previous generation Nissan Z will still turn heads. And let's not forget the Corvettes from the late 70s. Though they were built like crap, their visual appeal is still strong.

In the end, only time will tell if a car has a timeless appeal. However, I wouldn't be too quick to throw the new Z in the pile with all of the current "trendy" cars on the market.

The new RX-8 on the other hand, is a different story. . .
Old 01-10-2002, 06:27 PM

I'm one of the people who are really looking forward to the RX-8. Love the styling, like the idea of toting around a few friends if necessary, and I've had lots of experience with NA rotaries.

Although the new Z will be quite a deal, I can't get over the styling.

Funny -t he Z and RX-8 have people polarized to one side or the other more than any other new model launches in recent memory.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:57 PM

The new Z is cool, but looses points with me for originality. As you all have mentioned, the car appears to be designed using portions of different cars .

Cost + 280hp, plus track options does equal much fun. You really can't place a price tag on the many options of fun.

As for the "S" vs "Z", I'll stay where I am... Especially after adding the SC . The Z may run faster after loading it up with options, but I don't think the handling can be touched.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:57 PM

I think the new Z looks like ass...

Quick Reply: Nissan Z / RX8 / S2000