Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

This is Not Good

Old 07-14-2016, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is Not Good

Detroit News article

Well this is not good! What is wrong with people today? I have been wondering why the last few years that EVERYTHING is starting to look alike .
I am already tired of the Generic 4 door sedan , Generic 4 door SUV , and Generic 4 door truck model . Some of us WANT 2 doors but not willing to pay the 50 to 100 grand the automakers seem to want for anything good looking now . Hell some of us are unwilling to pay 40 bucks a month for a stupid cell phone!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:57 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Moving us around and charging our mobile phones is indeed the purpose of cars. Add towing campers/boats and hauling the occasional yard stuff for non-commercial pickups or real (not yacht club) SUVs. Anything more is our personal vanity and feel-good image. (Which I'm as guilty as the next guy.)

2-door and 2-seat cars are just toys. And vanity. Like your Rolex watch it's just a way of displaying wealth/status. Rolex advertising tag line should really be: "It's not important if it has the correct time, it's only important that it's a Rolex."

Why are there so few real sports cars on the market? Simple reason: No one buys them. Look at the videos of the Marysville Honda plant where they're making the NSX. Yep, ya gotta pay for that technology. Much different than the Civic plant.

-- Chuck
Old 07-14-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I am a little stumped by these arguments that all cars today are the same, I really don't see it. Sure in the entry level/econo car range there are quite a few cars that are similar... but in my mind, this has always been that way. Think 20 years ago, the Honda Accord, the Toyota Camry, the Ford Taurus, the Mazda 626, the Nissan Altima... pretty much the exact same vehicles or at least about as similar as the current offerings are.

That being said, many have mentioned that today is a great time to be a petrol head, there are some amazing new vehicles in the market doing some amazing things. From the Cayman GT4, Mustang GT350, Nissan GT-R, Alfa 4C, Jaguar F-Type, Miata, Focus RS, Civic Type-R, Tesla, and many many more examples... all fairly unique and offering different experiences and value. As a car enthusiast there is no lack of options, and that's without even factoring in the exotics and hyper cars.

There will always be a large portion of the population that really don't feel strongly about vehicles, and to them they are appliances, but I still feel that for those of us that really love cars we have as many options today as we have ever had.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I have to agree but when it comes to the more modestly priced cars not a whole lot, especially from honda who used to reign supreme. Trends of course tend to drive this factor as in the 90s it was cool and fun to have a hopped up econo car, but these days it's just sorta lame, fwiw I still like them. Anyway, the days are gone when a junior in high school can work at the local pizza joint and afford a semi new car that he can play with without derailing his future. Nowadays the fast cars are really good and priced accordingly, in the old days the fast cars could get beat by a cheap hopped up cars.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Funny. Having purchased a fridge about three years ago, I can say there's a lot to differentiate them on the inside.

Also funny - I can't tell old cars apart. Ford vs Caddy? No clue, they all look the same to me.

I think this article boils down to "Get off my lawn."
Old 07-15-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I hope they are not just appliances to keep cellphones charged because I still don't own one. Nor do I have any plan to purchase one.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I am a little stumped by these arguments that all cars today are the same, I really don't see it. Sure in the entry level/econo car range there are quite a few cars that are similar... but in my mind, this has always been that way. Think 20 years ago, the Honda Accord, the Toyota Camry, the Ford Taurus, the Mazda 626, the Nissan Altima... pretty much the exact same vehicles or at least about as similar as the current offerings are.

That being said, many have mentioned that today is a great time to be a petrol head, there are some amazing new vehicles in the market doing some amazing things. From the Cayman GT4, Mustang GT350, Nissan GT-R, Alfa 4C, Jaguar F-Type, Miata, Focus RS, Civic Type-R, Tesla, and many many more examples... all fairly unique and offering different experiences and value. As a car enthusiast there is no lack of options, and that's without even factoring in the exotics and hyper cars.

There will always be a large portion of the population that really don't feel strongly about vehicles, and to them they are appliances, but I still feel that for those of us that really love cars we have as many options today as we have ever had.
Look again ! Ridgeline looks like Avalanche . Tesla S looks like Jaguar , Tesla 3 looks like Chrysler 200 , etc . Terrible trend of cars that were awesome in the past are now just generic 4 door sedan like the Dodge Charger was awesome looking car to begin with now just a look alike cop car . Maserti Ghibli of the late 60s and early 70's was a work of art . Now the new one just another Generic 4 door sedan .
Of course there are some great looking cars being made for the enthusiast but look at the price now . They are so damn high that you see very few on the road . I have seen less than a dozen F type Jags on the road and that is one of the best new designs .
Just driving down the road and seeing all those look alike generic sedan,suv,4 door truck it is a revelation to finally see a Prelude or a Celica, or a Mitsubishi 3000 and I have to ask what happened to all the good looking affordable cars ??????????????
Options for the enthusiast is great as long as you got deep pockets!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX
Maserti Ghibli of the late 60s and early 70's was a work of art .
This one?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...bli_WOI_08.jpg

Yes, it's definitely pretty. But it's generic 60s/70s European. Take away the badge and most people would have difficulty saying if it was Lamborghini, Ferrari, Pantera or Jaguar.

There are a number of cars from the 80s that look like a Porsche 944, too. Cars from around the same time looking similar isn't something new. Many cars from the 1920s look similar. Sure, there are some differences in how and where the spare is mounted, for example, and certainly somebody who knows 1920s cars could pick out the various models based on grill shape or whatnot, but they still all look very similar.

This isn't to say that any particular era's vehicles looks better than any other era's (I certainly have my opinion, but it isn't worth sharing here) but to complain about all cars from a particular era looking the same is to miss the fact that every era has had cars that looked the same.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Funny. Having purchased a fridge about three years ago, I can say there's a lot to differentiate them on the inside.

Also funny - I can't tell old cars apart. Ford vs Caddy? No clue, they all look the same to me.

I think this article boils down to "Get off my lawn."

Haha. Well said.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Elistan
Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX' timestamp='1468609199' post='24017444
Maserti Ghibli of the late 60s and early 70's was a work of art .
This one?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...bli_WOI_08.jpg

Yes, it's definitely pretty. But it's generic 60s/70s European. Take away the badge and most people would have difficulty saying if it was Lamborghini, Ferrari, Pantera or Jaguar.

There are a number of cars from the 80s that look like a Porsche 944, too. Cars from around the same time looking similar isn't something new. Many cars from the 1920s look similar. Sure, there are some differences in how and where the spare is mounted, for example, and certainly somebody who knows 1920s cars could pick out the various models based on grill shape or whatnot, but they still all look very similar.

This isn't to say that any particular era's vehicles looks better than any other era's (I certainly have my opinion, but it isn't worth sharing here) but to complain about all cars from a particular era looking the same is to miss the fact that every era has had cars that looked the same.

Yep she is a beauty! I disagree those beautiful rims give it away as a Maserati . Yeah do not forget most people buy Accords and Camrys too so no difference for them .
You are right that most era's had cars that looked the same but NOW it is worst than ever . Look at the first generation Fusion . I thought it looked pretty good and really did not look a lot like anything else except it looked like it had Prelude headlights and 4rth Gen Prelude taillights . 2nd gen is a mess . Looks like generic Acura/Audi from the sides with an Aston grill .
It did not really copy anyone else but blends in as the same as everything else . I call them Bland Buggies !
We now have Generic playbook . Sedan in Sm,Med , and Large , SUV - Sm, Med, and Large , and Pickup - Med , and Large . Hey where did the small truck go ?
All the good looking enthusiast cars are 50 grand now and the affordable 2 door is mostly gone compared to 15 years ago and even the small reg cab pickup is gone .
I see less choice now because the enthusiast cars have been pushed WAY UP MARKET . Go to any used car lot and it is a sea of look alike sedan,suv, and truck . Only fun cars you find are Mini's ,GTI's, Mustangs,Vettes,Challengers,and maybe a Civic Si . Do you really want to shell out 102,000 for a Cayman GT4 or 80 grand or so for F TYPE ?
Of course you do but guess how many people do not have that kinda cash?

Quick Reply: This is Not Good