S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Not my thing, but I want a new Wrangler (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/not-my-thing-but-i-want-new-wrangler-1179924/)

Scot 01-24-2019 09:10 AM

I bought my 2012 Grand Cherokee from Dave Smith in Idaho.... even with shipping back to PA it beat the local dealers by a decent amount.

I took my blue 2016 unilimited out to colorado and moab for some fun.... Locally if I go offroading I always do something stupid (last dumb move was going sideways in mud at 40mph or so into a hole that moved my front axle about 3" - that was $1100 to fix).... I have over $50k in my jeep so I am leaning towards buying a shitty jeep for offroad or a Razor side by side instead of destroying my daily driver.

The 8 speed auto is the shit.... a million times better than the old 5 speed.... even on 37's and 3:45 gears my jeep movs pretty decent.

Post pics of it... :)

Originally Posted by vader1 (Post 24557974)
Well I am leaning towards getting more serious. I really like Sahara's because I think all the body colored fenders and and custom cloth/leather look real nice. But I kind of like the idea of having a plastic fendered car that I don't have to give a crap if it gets scuffed up. I take meticulous care of my cars and freak out over little scratches and scuffs. It would be nice to have a vehicle I can just shrug it off with. I am going to plow snow with it, pull some trailers, get through blizzards, and maybe find some friends who want to take a trip west and try some trails because they have jeeps too.

I price out a build I like, 4-door sport S with cold weather pack, auto, hard top, and trailer package and get about $41,500. I think if I liked the test drive and could get decent offer for my trade, AND get them to walk back $5k off sticker I'd sign right now. But I will have to feel them out and see what they want to offer. Just don't have time to look for a while. This next week is supposed to be brutal cold. High of negative 5 for next Wednesday. Not great test driving weather.

I do think it would be fun if I get no joy out here, to fly out to Idaho for a super deal and drive it home over the rockies. That would be plan b. Still semi interested in a Colorado as an alternative but for what I want, they price out pretty close to each other but the Jeep seems way cooler.

vader1 01-24-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Scot (Post 24558088)
I bought my 2012 Grand Cherokee from Dave Smith in Idaho.... even with shipping back to PA it beat the local dealers by a decent amount.

I took my blue 2016 unilimited out to colorado and moab for some fun.... Locally if I go offroading I always do something stupid (last dumb move was going sideways in mud at 40mph or so into a hole that moved my front axle about 3" - that was $1100 to fix).... I have over $50k in my jeep so I am leaning towards buying a shitty jeep for offroad or a Razor side by side instead of destroying my daily driver.

The 8 speed auto is the shit.... a million times better than the old 5 speed.... even on 37's and 3:45 gears my jeep movs pretty decent.

Post pics of it... :)

Pentastar or 2.0 turbo? How do you like the engine? I could go either way but it seems like the six has way less complexity and parts that can fail, but the whole mild hybrid system is warrantied to 80,000 miles.

Scot 01-25-2019 04:27 PM

3.6L with 8 speeds it seems just fine for my driving.

Originally Posted by vader1 (Post 24558170)
Pentastar or 2.0 turbo? How do you like the engine? I could go either way but it seems like the six has way less complexity and parts that can fail, but the whole mild hybrid system is warrantied to 80,000 miles.

rwheelz 01-25-2019 09:55 PM

Supposedly a diesel version coming with 442 ft-lbs paired to that 8-speed. I would hold out and get the diesel when it is released.

ssbfgc 01-26-2019 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by vader1 (Post 24558170)

This is tough. The pentastar is tried and true, but they’re due for a meaningful update. This is then #1 reason I’m not upgrading my 2013. People have strongly varying opinions on which engine. I’d say if you live at elevation, turbo all day.

gerry100 01-28-2019 10:04 AM

If you can find a nice used FJ Cruiser it might work out better.

Not quite as good as a Jeep at extreme terrain/rock crawling ( no live front axle) but still good enough so that a lot of them are enjoyed that way.

Silent and solid on the highway, still wallows a little like any vehicle with a tall/long travel suspension, but like a luxury ride if driven smoothly.

Has its' only funky unique look if that matters.

rwheelz 01-28-2019 11:30 AM

The white top wouldn't cut it for me. The color matched FJ's I have seen looked good though.

S2K_VS 01-28-2019 04:46 PM

The FJ is a cool vehicle. I test drove one when I was shopping for my JKU. It's definitely more refined on the highway which should be expected considering the non-removable top and IFS. The rear/side visibility was not very good on it. However, if a removable top isn't important then worth a look.

rwheelz 01-28-2019 05:20 PM

I definitely prefer the look of the wrangler overall. Jeeps are just cool.

sam_spider 01-29-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by gerry100 (Post 24559419)
If you can find a nice used FJ Cruiser it might work out better.

Not quite as good as a Jeep at extreme terrain/rock crawling ( no live front axle) but still good enough so that a lot of them are enjoyed that way.

Silent and solid on the highway, still wallows a little like any vehicle with a tall/long travel suspension, but like a luxury ride if driven smoothly.

Has its' only funky unique look if that matters.

FJ's seem to be appreciating though, I looked a few months ago and was shocked what the asking prices were for them. FJ's are cool, but I couldn't spend that much on one over a Wrangler.