Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NSX vs 996 Turbo

Old 03-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default NSX vs 996 Turbo

I'll be selling my 02 S2000 soon and I've been thinking about my next car. This will be a few months out, but I just wanted to get some more opinions.

For quite a while, I've been dead set with the NSX despite its old age, and lack of horsepower compared to recent cars, but it was one of my childhood dream cars, and IMO still one of the sexiest cars ever.

I test drove a Cayman S, just for fun on a sunny afternoon, and it had a somewhat similar experience to the NSX. It seemed to have more torque than the NSX, but I just can't get over the way it looks, so the NSX was still firmly seated at the top of my head.

On another sunny afternoon, I dropped by again since the saleslady was very nice last time. I got a tour of their garage which included a ton of weekend racers, twin GT3 track cars, and a 959! Anyways, I thought about test driving a 911, but didn't think I'd like it since it's a heavier car.

So I drove a 996 C2, which I think is the most basic model with a mere 300ish hp. The gobs of power and torque were a ton of fun. The ride was stiff but not harsh. The car felt planted even though I could feel the extra weight. The interior isn't as horrible as it looks in pictures. Traction control kicked in even though I floored it through a corner. Plus it has 4 seats, so if I do have kids in the future, it'd still be okay. I can't imagine how much more awesome the 996TT would be.
Anyone care to chime in on 996 vs a 996TT?

Aesthetically, I'd still prefer the NSX, as IMO it's a timeless design, but I'm not sure if it's worth the lack of power and age.

I couldn't really gauge the handling, as it was slightly wet during the NSX test drive, and I didn't feel comfortable yet in the 911.

NSX
Looks
I think will still look good in 10 years
Slightly cheaper to mod
Lighter, more fun to drive
Reliable, cheap to maintain
Probably harder to find in GPW

996TT
Power
Torque
4 seats (more future-proof)
Reliable, a bit more expensive to maintain
Probably won't age as well
Much newer car

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

996TT is gobs faster. It's a whole different level. An NSX won't pin you to your seat but a 996TT will. The NSX will feel a bit more lively and agile, you sit lower in it, and the sight lines are better, so it feels a bit more like a sports car. Steering feel is better in the NSX but the Porsche has possibly better feedback. The 996TT has ultimate higher handling/grip limits (stock for stock) and the brakes are better as well. Reliability will probably be somewhat better on the NSX (less to go wrong) but overall, both are pretty reliable. The NSX will chew up tires in a hurry (aggressive stock alignment) but the tires are smaller so costs (stock for stock) are probably fairly similar. The NSX has a better shifter and the engine sound is a ton better as well (to my ear, at least).

997TT is even faster than a 996TT and more refined. I like the interior a LOT more and the looks are much better as well. However, it's hard to justify the additional expense over a 996TT on the performance side as they are both brutally quick cars. 0-60 in 3.5s, typically!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
996TT is gobs faster. It's a whole different level. An NSX won't pin you to your seat but a 996TT will. The NSX will feel a bit more lively and agile, you sit lower in it, and the sight lines are better, so it feels a bit more like a sports car. Steering feel is better in the NSX but the Porsche has possibly better feedback. The 996TT has ultimate higher handling/grip limits (stock for stock) and the brakes are better as well. Reliability will probably be somewhat better on the NSX (less to go wrong) but overall, both are pretty reliable. The NSX will chew up tires in a hurry (aggressive stock alignment) but the tires are smaller so costs (stock for stock) are probably fairly similar. The NSX has a better shifter and the engine sound is a ton better as well (to my ear, at least).

997TT is even faster than a 996TT and more refined. I like the interior a LOT more and the looks are much better as well. However, it's hard to justify the additional expense over a 996TT on the performance side as they are both brutally quick cars. 0-60 in 3.5s, typically!
Pretty much agree w/ all of this. It depends really on aesthetics and performance. Neither interior is very nice. If you want brute force, porsche. If you want a classic not so fast but still entertaining driving car, nsx.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JS2k.com
...On another sunny afternoon, I dropped by again since the saleslady was very nice last time. I got a tour of their garage which included a ton of weekend racers, twin GT3 track cars, and a 959! Anyways, I thought about test driving a 911, but didn't think I'd like it since it's a heavier car...
Where was this where they had a real Porsche 959?? WOW!!

I have an NSX (Grand Prix White) and can say that the 996 Twin Turbo would be a hard car to turn down. The prices on them are super low right now, you just really need to make sure you get a well maintained one. Check out Rennlist.com for some good information on the issues you need to look for. Don't get me wrong, I love my NSX...but a 996 Twin Turbo is a BEAST of a car, with tons of power, and they are easy to make even faster. You really need to drive both back to back and decide for yourself if you are serious about this. Spending this much money should be a choice only you make, and the car should put a smile on your face...like my NSX does every day.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

joey.. call me next time u go.. i want to go to
Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 PM

Makes sense to me. NSX looks better, will hold its value well, and will probably be just as much if not more fun to drive when you can't use the throttle. That said, power is addictive. Getting kicked back into your seat is something that puts a smile on your face every time.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

996 turbo looks very dated especially with the old headlights/body curvature.

From what I read everywhere NSX holds the value well and is a timeless design, If I was in your position I would go for NSX, just think about it - every time you will see a 997 turbo or soon a new model you will drool and keep wanting the newer model, in the nsx you pretty much have one of the best classic jdm cars and the value may even appreciate over time. If the lack of power is your concern there is always F/I
Old 03-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JS2k.com
On another sunny afternoon, I dropped by again since the saleslady was very nice last time. I got a tour of their garage which included a ton of weekend racers, twin GT3 track cars, and a 959!
Wait, what? 595? Where was this? RUF? Boardwalk?

Anyway, I think either choice would be a great one. Just test-drive each and pick the one that feels more fun to you. I could see myself going either way, to be honest.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Elistan
I could see myself going either way, to be honest.

Are you SURE you wanna be telling everyone that??
Old 03-18-2011, 11:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, as much as I love the 996 Turbo... the design is really dated, the interior is hideous, and you'll kick yourself everytime you see a 997. The handling and power is incredible, but in light of the 997, it really doesn't hold up aesthetically.

The NSX, however, has a beautiful interior, classic design, and is a blast to drive.

You can't go wrong either way!

Quick Reply: NSX vs 996 Turbo