Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Older RDX vs CX-3 vs HRV

Old 09-11-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Older RDX vs CX-3 vs HRV

Looking to purchase a CUV, currently have a 2007 Fit, thinking about something a bit bigger internal volume.

Price range in the low 20's (Canadian dollar)

Options: 2010-2011 RDX
Pro: Super AWD, fit and finish, comfort/luxury, Reliability (even for Turbo), hondata
Con: Premium gas, no warranty, gas mileage, used?

2) 2016 CX-3 Base Auto, FWD
Pro: Warranty, gas mileage, looks
Con: non-awd, no moonroof, depreciation, less luxury

3) 2016 Honda HRV, base FWD, 6-speed
Pro: Warranty, gas mileage, looks, reliable, tech, interal volume/flexibility
Con: non-awd, no moonroof, depreciation, less luxury, 6-speed for wife, she will need to learn

Looking for a smaller vehicle in that price point. Hauling 2 young kids and wife hates large vehicles.

Anyone have some thoughts, I have not driven any of these, just trying to narrow down my options to 3.

Thank you!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister had an RDX, she just recently traded it for a CX3 Touring and couldn't be happier.

The RDX got absolutely terrible gas mileage, she drove mostly highway and would average 23mpg. From what I understand, the RDX was basically a full production mule for Honda to test turbo engines.

The CX3 is getting rave reviews. I love the new Mazdas. The interiors are fantastic and they're very sporty to drive.

I drove an HRV a couple months ago when they first dropped as a replacement for my fiance's 07 CRV. We both loved it and when it's time, it will be either than or the CX3.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the HRV or CX3. Drive both and shop prices.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 AM

thoughts on a used CRV? should fit the price requirement and fix a few of the RDX cons
Old 09-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Why do you "want" a CUV. I hate CUVs. They are like regular cars but ugly and with worse gas mileage. Why not get a sedan/hatchback instead?

Mazda3 hatchback over CX-anything.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

The RDX is way more car than the CX-3 and HR-V. Way nicer, inside and out, and it'll destroy them in terms of its AWD system, power, etc, etc. Big penalty for fuel economy, though - it's way worse for daily driving. Reliability shouldn't be an issue and you'll have already let someone else take the depreciation hit.

If you want a newer vehicle, I'd buy a used or new CX-3 over a new HR-V. Better looks, lower cost, better handling, quicker and they've been reliable thus far. Again, buy it used, even certified, and you'll get the better vehicle at a lower cost (or possibly afford the AWD version) with better warranty. They also come with low financing rates, which is a bonus if you're not paying cash.

http://401dixiemazda.com/used/CPO.html
Old 09-11-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
The RDX is way more car than the CX-3 and HR-V. Way nicer, inside and out, and it'll destroy them in terms of its AWD system, power, etc, etc. Big penalty for fuel economy, though - it's way worse for daily driving. Reliability shouldn't be an issue and you'll have already let someone else take the depreciation hit.

If you want a newer vehicle, I'd buy a used or new CX-3 over a new HR-V. Better looks, lower cost, better handling, quicker and they've been reliable thus far. Again, buy it used, even certified, and you'll get the better vehicle at a lower cost (or possibly afford the AWD version) with better warranty. They also come with low financing rates, which is a bonus if you're not paying cash.

http://401dixiemazda.com/used/CPO.html

I don't think the CX-3 has been out long enough to find a used one. It just debuted last month as a 2016 model.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:53 AM

Yeah the CX3 is brand new, along with the HRV.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CX-3 doesn't have a lot of internal space, which was a dealbreaker for me. The HR-V handily destroys it.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_9000rpm
thoughts on a used CRV? should fit the price requirement and fix a few of the RDX cons
CRV? Ugly, large and nearly the same space internally as a HRV (I believe the back end has more height but I just need more room for kids bikes/safety gear/shopping bags) plus I don't need leg room with two kids in the back I won't even bother removing kid seats.

Plus it's now priced outside the budget new... Used I could swing but again wifey doesn't like large vehicles and the CRV is getting there.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Why do you "want" a CUV. I hate CUVs. They are like regular cars but ugly and with worse gas mileage. Why not get a sedan/hatchback instead?

Mazda3 hatchback over CX-anything.
CUV = Higher driver perspective and easier to maneuver... I assume more legroom too.

Wife hates the looks.. I kinda do too. I would go for a WRX if I was going down that path.

Quick Reply: Older RDX vs CX-3 vs HRV