Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The one car I’d give my S2000 for...

Old 04-21-2019, 08:40 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Are we really equating the s2000 to Ferrari's and astons now? Like those of you saying you'd only get a Ferrari to replace it would jump at the chance if someone traded you a new Cayman gts? Or boxster?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Are we really equating the s2000 to Ferrari's and astons now? Like those of you saying you'd only get a Ferrari to replace it would jump at the chance if someone traded you a new Cayman gts? Or boxster?
Why not? Actually there isn't really anything that can replace an S2000, at any price point. Its its own car. Boxter? haha The S2k stays, and other cars get added to it in the garage if desired. From a fun enthusiast standpoint point a stock S is still fantastic after all these years, but my modified S2000 get more head turning and attention in a parking lot or cruising down the blvrd then any Boxter, or a lot of supercars, because those are so common and quickly identified in my area. From a car enthusiast perspective thats just part of the fun, and from a driving enthusiast perspective the S also hits really high marks. From a cost to own and maintain perspective there isnt much better. From a club perspective its right up there, and from a track capable car it gets very high marks. When you consider all key points that make up car ownership why would you not compare it to any sports car. The S2000 was designed on the heels of all the great nineties Japanese supercars when these companies were full of passion and cared about building a true unique sports car within their vision which did compete with all the exotics for the time, unlike today where all that passion is lost. Other then a new miata and maybe brz which makes me choke a little to say, there isnt really anything other then current super cars to compare it to. They are the only segment of cars which the production is driven by passion still.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-21-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:40 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I'd go for this one. Hey! It has a Honda engine in it!

Old 04-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Why not? Actually there isn't really anything that can replace an S2000, at any price point. Its its own car. Boxter? haha The S2k stays, and other cars get added to it in the garage if desired. From a fun enthusiast standpoint point a stock S is still fantastic after all these years, but my modified S2000 get more head turning and attention in a parking lot or cruising down the blvrd then any Boxter, or a lot of supercars, because those are so common and quickly identified in my area. From a car enthusiast perspective thats just part of the fun, and from a driving enthusiast perspective the S also hits really high marks. From a cost to own and maintain perspective there isnt much better. From a club perspective its right up there, and from a track capable car it gets very high marks. When you consider all key points that make up car ownership why would you not compare it to any sports car. The S2000 was designed on the heels of all the great nineties Japanese supercars when these companies were full of passion and cared about building a true unique sports car within their vision which did compete with all the exotics for the time, unlike today where all that passion is lost. Other then a new miata and maybe brz which makes me choke a little to say, there isnt really anything other then current super cars to compare it to. They are the only segment of cars which the production is driven by passion still.
The only thing close is the miata and brz but not the boxster because those are too common?

The s2 is a great car, I owned 3 for the record, and it's probably the best dollar for dollar value, but seriously theres nothing between it and a Ferrari that's a suitable replacement? Then these things should have crazy resale value, like air cooled 911s and singers for that matter.

Right now I'd take a 2019 miata rf. I realize though that in the long run the s2000 will be more collectible, but if that was the measure then the ITR is better, and it's not.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Community Organizer

The only thing close is the miata and brz but not the boxster because those are too common?

The s2 is a great car, I owned 3 for the record, and it's probably the best dollar for dollar value, but seriously theres nothing between it and a Ferrari that's a suitable replacement? Then these things should have crazy resale value, like air cooled 911s and singers for that matter.

Right now I'd take a 2019 miata rf. I realize though that in the long run the s2000 will be more collectible, but if that was the measure then the ITR is better, and it's not.
Actually I don't consider the Miata and Brz that close but didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings because I know how many fanboys of these cars there are here. What I will say about them though is that for the market segment they are in, they are well suited and great choices.

When the s2k came out it kicked the current Boxter in the face and kicked rocks. Its since had the opportunity to surpass the s2k overall performance stock out of the box, but I still just don't see much passion and excitement in Boxter Ownership. If someone really needs to have a Porche to feel important and can afford to drive the shit out of it and maintain it both, more power to them. I think my S2k is far more unique and fun to drive then any Boxter.

We still have a 370z in the segment between a S2000 and Ferrari a c5 vet and now a regurgitated supra, so take your pic.

Yes the s2k will continue to increase in value, having said what I have said how can it not.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Actually I don't consider the Miata and Brz that close but didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings because I know how many fanboys of these cars there are here.
The number one S2K fanboy calling everyone else a fanboy.... LOL!!!

Love my s2k and have plans to keep it for much much longer, but I'm not blind to what else is out there and how things have changed.

In 5 years when 2019 ND's drop below $20k used, I would argue bang for buck performance will favor the ND over the s2k. At that point, s2ks in decent mechanical condition with reasonable miles will command prices that are no longer competitive - due to appreciating/steady values.

Maintenance and repairs will also favor the ND over the s2k, simply due to age and production numbers.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Bullwings
The number one S2K fanboy calling everyone else a fanboy.... LOL!!!

Love my s2k and have plans to keep it for much much longer, but I'm not blind to what else is out there and how things have changed.

In 5 years when 2019 ND's drop below $20k used, I would argue bang for buck performance will favor the ND over the s2k. At that point, s2ks in decent mechanical condition with reasonable miles will command prices that are no longer competitive - due to appreciating/steady values.

Maintenance and repairs will also favor the ND over the s2k, simply due to age and production numbers.
To their credit, they are just few cars left that are sporty rwd manuals geared around the pleasure of driving which is why I mentioned them. But the Miata is essentially a throw away car. Always a new model to replace the old and the old isn't worth putting money into after a while because it will never have a high enough monetary resale value. Cheap track beaters aside. The BRZ is a little more unique, but remains to be seen how that will fair in time. Im going to go out on a limb and say that due to the nature of flat fours, its going to be a throw away car as well, maybe more so even though less will be produced. Rarity isn't always a perquisite for future value when it didn't start out as not much more then a turd to begin with.

And im not blind to what's out there either(lack thereof) and how things have changed (for the worst)

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-22-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I saw this recently and wish I lived in utah . I wouldve picked this up immediately. I dont have an s2k anymore but this is something I wouldve rather had
https://www.cleanfuelsutah.com/inven...bishi-Eclipse/
Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
I saw this recently and wish I lived in utah . I wouldve picked this up immediately. I dont have an s2k anymore but this is something I wouldve rather had
https://www.cleanfuelsutah.com/inven...bishi-Eclipse/
Crank walk. And I'd rather have a gsx.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:27 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Crank walk. And I'd rather have a gsx.
Ya seriously. My brother had a gsx back in the day and they are fun in a straight line, but that's about it. It feels like driving a boat compared to an S. Steering response, shifter, is garbage.

Quick Reply: The one car I’d give my S2000 for...