Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The one car I’d give my S2000 for...

Old 04-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Crank walk. And I'd rather have a gsx.
Me too. But finding a decent one is near impossible. That gst is unicornish
Old 04-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Why not? Actually there isn't really anything that can replace an S2000, at any price point. Its its own car. Boxter? haha The S2k stays, and other cars get added to it in the garage if desired. From a fun enthusiast standpoint point a stock S is still fantastic after all these years, but my modified S2000 get more head turning and attention in a parking lot or cruising down the blvrd then any Boxter, or a lot of supercars, because those are so common and quickly identified in my area. From a car enthusiast perspective thats just part of the fun, and from a driving enthusiast perspective the S also hits really high marks. From a cost to own and maintain perspective there isnt much better. From a club perspective its right up there, and from a track capable car it gets very high marks. When you consider all key points that make up car ownership why would you not compare it to any sports car. The S2000 was designed on the heels of all the great nineties Japanese supercars when these companies were full of passion and cared about building a true unique sports car within their vision which did compete with all the exotics for the time, unlike today where all that passion is lost. Other then a new miata and maybe brz which makes me choke a little to say, there isnt really anything other then current super cars to compare it to. They are the only segment of cars which the production is driven by passion still.
at any price point? This may be true below $30K.
Above this there are many choices. All of which have better driving experience than the S2000. Don’t get me wrong. I love the S2000 and kept it the longest (15 years) out of all the cars I’ve ever owned. However, I have driven cars that are more fun.
(not at all comprehensive) list of cars I’d rather have than the S2000 (in generally increasing price). These cars are better than the S2000 in almost all measures: handling, sounds, speed, power, looks.

boxster spyder
GT4
GT3
GTS
F355
Challenge Stradale (extensive seat time)
570S
675LT
performante
Scuderia
720S
Speciale
aventador sv
Ford GT
Carrera GT
LFA
... (you get the drift)

Last edited by S2020; 04-24-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get rid of my S2000 for..

Boxster Spyder
AMG GT C Roadster
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
at any price point? This may be true below $30K.
Above this there are many choices. All of which have better driving experience than the S2000. Don’t get me wrong. I love the S2000 and kept it the longest (15 years) out of all the cars I’ve ever owned. However, I have driven cars that are more fun.
(not at all comprehensive) list of cars I’d rather have than the S2000 (in generally increasing price). These cars are better than the S2000 in almost all measures: handling, sounds, speed, power, looks.

boxster spyder
GT4
GT3
GTS
F355
Challenge Stradale (extensive seat time)
570S
675LT
performante
Scuderia
720S
Speciale
aventador sv
Ford GT
Carrera GT
LFA
... (you get the drift)
I appreciate your opinion, and most of those are excellent cars id agree with you on, but a sizable portion do not tick all the boxes the S does. For instance, some of them don't have a manual transmission so can take off the list, some no open top ie convertible/Targa option so take off the list, some are arguably slower then my modified S2k so take off the list. Some I would never have as much fun driving because either they are too heavy with a long wheel base or I would be too afraid to put any miles on it, nor could I afford to maintain it. 30k isn't much for a car these days, certainly one that ticks all my boxes, so yeah you need to have the door open for considering cars far far more expensive and that just isn't realistic for me and wont ever be. Looks are subjective, but I will tell you I cannot not turn around and admire my car for a glance or two every time I get out of it. If I still had a bone stock ap1, id have a slightly different opinion on some things. But that's the other element of what makes the S so great, is its modifiable platform and being a tuner at heart this car lends itself to ones creativity. I would never trade my S for a brand new Boxter.
The following users liked this post:
ChiHonda (04-28-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I appreciate your opinion, and most of those are excellent cars id agree with you on, but a sizable portion do not tick all the boxes the S does. For instance, some of them don't have a manual transmission so can take off the list, some no open top ie convertible/Targa option so take off the list, some are arguably slower then my modified S2k so take off the list. Some I would never have as much fun driving because either they are too heavy with a long wheel base or I would be too afraid to put any miles on it, nor could I afford to maintain it. 30k isn't much for a car these days, certainly one that ticks all my boxes, so yeah you need to have the door open for considering cars far far more expensive and that just isn't realistic for me and wont ever be. Looks are subjective, but I will tell you I cannot not turn around and admire my car for a glance or two every time I get out of it. If I still had a bone stock ap1, id have a slightly different opinion on some things. But that's the other element of what makes the S so great, is its modifiable platform and being a tuner at heart this car lends itself to ones creativity. I would never trade my S for a brand new Boxter.
Why not? Actually there isn't really anything that can replace an S2000, at any price point...
these two statements are somewhat contradictory. Had you said "cars under $30K", I would totally agree.
No cars better than S2000 "at any price point" ? Well... different story.

Lack of manual vs not convertible will be far outweighed by other characteristics.
eg.
911R > S2000. Manual but not convertible.
Aventador SV convertible/Speciale Aperta/Performante spyder > S2000. Convertible but not manual.
IMO, these cars are more fun than S2000.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

ND2... looks like it's killing this S2k on a "Big Boy Track" - Laguna Seca - and not just Auto-X. It's very mildly modified and not running any aero, as compared to Zygrene's S2k.

Checks all of those complaint boxes of yours - except it's a "throw away car", which I would argue an S2k is also.

By your notion of a new generations of miatas coming out regularly, the 911 isn't special either... They're on the 7th generation of the "911" (911, 964, 993, 996, 997, 991, 992).

FWIW, and it isn't much, if I had the $400k to blow on a Singer, I see myself stopping at around the $120k mark on spend, and it definitely would not be an S2k.
I'd probably go with a 996GT3 and modify it to $120k or go with a 964 and do my own functional build that is not quite as "bespoke" or "special" as a Singer.

Last edited by Bullwings; 04-25-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Community Organizer

Id get a Noble M12/M400, but its not a open top so it would be in addition to the s2000 and not a replacement. I don't think id put nearly the miles on the Noble though so kind of a frivolous purchase. But its a really cool looking and unique car which performs at a very high level with no driving aids, part of a pretty exclusive club and can be had for $55-65k. Hits many important points for me. Maintaining and fixing one, a bit more of a bitch then the S2k. But not out of the realm.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-25-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:55 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Bullwings
ND2... looks like it's killing this S2k on a "Big Boy Track" - Laguna Seca - and not just Auto-X. It's very mildly modified and not running any aero, as compared to Zygrene's S2k.
Not sure which video you are watching but the one i'm watching here shows two cars with a similar power to weight ratio with less then great driving in an S2000 which isn't set up optimally for that track nearly pacing each other. Talk to the s2k driver in vid, im sure he would agree with me.

If I thought the new Miata was a better more fun a and rewarding, exciting car to own, id own one. I don't need a new car for the sake of new. Kudos to Mazda for continuing to put some effort into their Miata development. Cant say the same for Honda these days.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-25-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I personally got tired of the S2k’s soft top. I love top down driving but the rattles and noise with it up sucked.

If you say it must be a soft top, you have a very short list of cars period.

s2k offers so much value and I loved mine. After owning other great cars I don’t consider myself a fan boy. There isn’t a pressing need to own another.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Not sure which video you are watching but the one i'm watching here shows two cars with a similar power to weight ratio with less then great driving in an S2000 which isn't set up optimally for that track nearly pacing each other. Talk to the s2k driver in vid, im sure he would agree with me.

If I thought the new Miata was a better more fun a and rewarding, exciting car to own, id own one. I don't need a new car for the sake of new. Kudos to Mazda for continuing to put some effort into their Miata development. Cant say the same for Honda these days.
His lap times are in line with what s2ks are running.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...a-seca-963507/

More recent data from a similarly prepped s2k on NT-01s, no aero.
Edit: I didn't even realize, both of these videos are on the same day 4/21/2019 - this past weekend. This is fresh data on the same day and track conditions. It's about as fair a comparison as you get without specifically doing a "head-2-head" battle.

versus the ND2 - also no aero.

Last edited by Bullwings; 04-25-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: The one car I’d give my S2000 for...