Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The one car I’d give my S2000 for...

Old 04-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Okay, if someone dropped a 458 Spider in my lap for my S2000, I might bite.
My buddy has one and I drove it pretty hard, it made my 911 feel like a VW beetle!
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (04-11-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 03:57 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
My buddy has one and I drove it pretty hard, it made my 911 feel like a VW beetle!
Sure does. A friend has one too. Very special car.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I'm not sure I am understanding the price of a singer modified Porsche. As much as I am wowed by it, if it is in the range of $500,000 to 1 million then I'd rather sink money into a different supercar and save a boat load of money. It is great, but not that much great, and less than 400 hp. If one has a bottomless wallet or a substantial car collection where money is not an object than it would be great to have one of these. If I could only have one super car or vintage car then I would pass on this.
I’m guessing the guys who buy these have 10+ cars. It’s not Bugatti money but the people who buy those have like 50+ cars. Like you say, it’s for money-object-collectors who want the ultimate expression of an air cooled 911.

I think they are pretty fast actually. With the 4.0 I think they make like 400 hp. The weight reduction is substantial and the 0-60 is like 3.3. In a manual car I’m not sure I’d want anything faster.

its all fantasy but for me this car checks a lot of boxes, high revving NA, manual, luxury, looks, open top and even semi-practical.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:09 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

There are some other intangible qualities to Singer 911 ownership.

It buys membership to a pretty exclusive club. Total production to date is a little over 100 cars. It’s safe to assume that the owners are among the most passionate and affluent Porsche collectors on the planet.

The Ferrari 458 was discussed in this thread. As a point of comparison, there were about 3,000 produced of just the 458 Speciale variant.

Also, the Singer 911 doesn’t scream “Look at me!” the way something like a Lamborghini Aventador does. That makes it possible to drive around mostly incognito. Only those who know will get excited about a Singer sighting. That’s pretty cool.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by waltk88
There are some other intangible qualities to Singer 911 ownership.

It buys membership to a pretty exclusive club. Total production to date is a little over 100 cars. It’s safe to assume that the owners are among the most passionate and affluent Porsche collectors on the planet.

The Ferrari 458 was discussed in this thread. As a point of comparison, there were about 3,000 produced of just the 458 Speciale variant.

Also, the Singer 911 doesn’t scream “Look at me!” the way something like a Lamborghini Aventador does. That makes it possible to drive around mostly incognito. Only those who know will get excited about a Singer sighting. That’s pretty cool.
All of that is true, but it's also why I don't want one... LOL! Not denying the absolute cool and awesome factor - i'm just too ghetto to be part of that club. Also too ghetto to be part of the exotics Lamborghini or Ferrari club...

I know it's not anywhere near the same vein of build quality or craftsmanship as a Singer, but I had my very first RWB in-person sighting on the street driving to work a few weeks ago. It was definitely very cool and awesome. No one else in the area appear as awe struck... All of that said, I think a Singer sighting would actually bare the same impact on me. Both are far out of reach and unattainable for me. Putting something very similar next to it but additional orders of magnitude of unattainable doesn't impart additional orders of awe (for me)...
Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I'm not sure I am understanding the price of a singer modified Porsche. As much as I am wowed by it, if it is in the range of $500,000 to 1 million then I'd rather sink money into a different supercar and save a boat load of money. It is great, but not that much great, and less than 400 hp. If one has a bottomless wallet or a substantial car collection where money is not an object than it would be great to have one of these. If I could only have one super car or vintage car then I would pass on this.
If you've read any of the indepth articles about the labor required to produce a Singer Porsche you might understand it. Calling it "modified" is inaccurate, to be honest.

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I like singers, dont like targas. I love the air cooled porsches and they're cool to drive from time to time, but it's mostly novelty. A modern gt4 is a lot better in every way. Want it to feel more raw? Take out all the sound deadening and creature comforts, drill a couple holes in the fire wall, and drip a couple drops of oil inside your car.
I love those cars but 200k for one? Take one over a 911R? I'd rather build a 72 celica with an f20c, or a 240z with a rb26de with ITBs, etc etc. Superior cars in every way except one, ownership experience. The Porsche community is second to none.
I'd absolutely take a Singer over a 911R. 400 hp and 2300 lbs? Sign me up. Sadly $200k won't even buy you half of a Singer.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One car I'd give up my S2000 for is the Mercedes AMG GT C Convertible.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Hottest new cars for me in that vein of an S2000 (with a grain of salt) are Aston Martin DBS Superleggera, Ferrari 850 Superfast, or the Ferrari Portofino,
Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Saw a vid on Singer. Good stuff but for the money I would definitely get something else. I would never sell the S. It will be passed to my nephew when that time comes.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:39 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
If you've read any of the indepth articles about the labor required to produce a Singer Porsche you might understand it. Calling it "modified" is inaccurate, to be honest.

I'd absolutely take a Singer over a 911R. 400 hp and 2300 lbs? Sign me up. Sadly $200k won't even buy you half of a Singer.

That's the thing, the singers are super exotic car money, and frankly a car can be built better than a singer for less, but won't be a 911 or a singer. Additionally, a strength of porsches in general is the ability to actually use and track them, these hopped up air cooled porsches arent known to last very well. I love the 911R, but you could also make the same argument for a gt3, gt3rs, etc, really any Porsche short of a 918.

Dont get me wrong, I like singers. I like them alot actually, but this is the Porsche tax applied a million.

Quick Reply: The one car I’d give my S2000 for...