Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Overlander 4x4

Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LX470 over here. Love it to death but I would seriously consider a GX470. They have the same engine, weigh 500 lbs less and are way undervalued in the market.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
jeep Cherokee which are dirt cheap these days.
this.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Are they? I thought the older ones were holding their value pretty well and I'd trust a high mile toyota over a jeep.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Are they? I thought the older ones were holding their value pretty well and I'd trust a high mile toyota over a jeep.
I guess it depends on how they're optioned ..... JGC.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Solid axles are the way to go for true off roading.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
Solid axles are the way to go for true off roading.
depends on if you're building a crawler or a Baja style truck, or something for mud bogs.

I think the only time id prefer to have solid axles is if I needed the articulation, such as for a crawler, in most other situations, i would prefer independent supension.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 AM
Community Organizer

https://www.overlandexpo.com/east

I only post this link as I was talking to a fellow S2000 owner at NJMP this weekend. Him and his wife are going to the above event.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

I'm biased here but love my 3rd Gen 4Runner. I had one as my first vehicle and more recently bought one as a daily to complement my S.Prices have really gotten low but it is hard to find a "good" one. One that does not have frame rust and has not experienced the "Pink Milkshake" in the past is hard to find, especially depending on the area you live in. You won't hit 20 MPG highway in one, probably more like 15-16 if geared up. The pink milkshake (coolant leaking into tranny via cooler) and frame rust issues seem to be about the only 2 things that are the kiss of death aside from complete and utter neglect. Otherwise, the drivetrain and everything else seems to hold up amazingly. Make sure to check rear axle seals before buying. They tend to go out with age + mileage. While they won't destroy the truck, they are expensive to replace and can be a negotiation point. Also, the front lower ball joints have been a known failure point with age and mileage. Common wisdom is to replace with new OEM ones around 150k mileage. It's not a pretty mode of failure. Other than those things, the trucks are darn near bullet proof. Check out how many are for sale on the craigs with 300k+ mileage and non-enthusiast owners.

I think the best models are the 99-00 limited with rear locker. They are the only models that offer push button AWD, real 4wd with H/L, and a rear locker. A manual, v6, 4wd, 99-00 with locker can also be had but is very rare. Manuals also do not have push button AWD if that is something you'd like. 99-02 also have a bit nicer of an interior which I think makes a big difference for something you'll spend that kind of time in. The 3rd gens are a classic look, great size, bulletproof drivetrain, and huge aftermarket. They also have a perfect size in terms of squeezing through trees, etc. They are not fast nor fuel efficient, and are old. Nice, modded 3rd gens also seem to command money. Presumably, you could buy one built or build one and not totally lose your ass on it. I'm not as familiar with older nissans, etc. but I do not think they will hold up nor hold value as well.

I've been dreaming of building up my 4Runner for years but have other priorities. I'd also rather STR-ify my s2k before doing that amongst other life things. Off-roading does seem like another sweet hobby to add to my list of stupid, expensive things that I love doing.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been eyeing something to use for light off-roading/road trips.

My requirements are inexpensive, reliable, and some degree of aftermarket support (for possible future mods).

3rd gen 4runners are an pretty obvious choice, but they certainly seemed overpriced for the condition I'm finding.

Have considered some other options (Xterra, Montero, etc.) but may am gravitating towards a 1st gen Toyota Sequoia. They are pretty big, and have independent suspension, but seem to be surprisingly capable offroad. Support isn't to the extent of what's available for 4Runners, but can still find everything I think I'd ever need (lift, bumpers, etc.).

The upside is that they can be had for really cheap (with high miles), and are super reliable. Also, the V8 is nice if I ever want to pull something.

I've put the search on pause while we consider moving, but could see one in our future.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had my 08 JKU since new. I've done a fair amount of off road trips in it. Anywhere from easy to medium difficulty trails in Moab, Colorado, NE, Kansas, etc. It now has around 130k miles on it. It's extremely reliable. Even more so than the Honda Accord I owned previous to it. Even with the various add ons such as steel rock rails, bumper and tire carrier, roof rack, and 33" tires, I can still get 19-20mpg on the highway. I would highly recommend a JKU as a solid overlander.

Quick Reply: Overlander 4x4