Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Overlander 4x4

Old 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Overlander 4x4

I know some of you on here are into 4 wheel drives so maybe you can offer some of your experiences. I have been daydreaming for a while about going out west and across some 4x4 trails such as Imogene and Blackbear passes in Colorado for example. I'm sure there are many others that I'll learn of when I get serious about doing this. I love offroading as much as I love S2000....ing. Right now I have a 2004 CR-V manual that I really like but isn't rugged enough for that type of trip. Plus my beloved 1994 Suzuki Sidekick which is a great trail buggy/daily driver with a 3" lift, winch, ARB rear locker, snorkel, etc. The problem is the Zuk is too old and rusty to take that far plus it never was the best long trip highway machine. Honestly if it wasn't for the extensive rust repairs including fixing the body mounts with my amatuer welding skills I'd probably just take it. Especially if it was newer and lower in miles.

So this brings me to the question. What is the best budget 4x4 for such a trip? I'm thinking a purchase price of 10k or less plus a few thousand for off road mods (maybe all ready has some mods). I looked at the 1990's-early 2000's Landcruisers and they look perfect for such an adventure. I could even sleep in one but the gas mileage stops me in my tracks. 12 city 14 highway minus whatever a mild lift and slightly bigger tires would net you. Yikes! I've also considered a Nissan Xterra and the 3rd or 4th gen 4runner. I believe any of those could maybe/ hopefully get around 20mpg highway. Or maybe that's just wishfull thinking.

So what are your experiences with long trips in a capable 4wd? Gas mileage, comfort,etc. What have you owned or what would you like to own.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

If you are worried about gas mileage your gonna have a bad time. For the price you are looking at our not going to get a mix of good (for an offroad rig) MPG and capability. You are on the right track with Japanese stuff though. Land cruiser, 4runner, tacoma (with one of those tents you can put on the bed or roof hell you can do this with a lot of trucks) I am sure there is others. I love the Lexus LX 470's (basically lexus land cruiser) but just like land cruisers they hold their value even with a ton of miles.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I had a FZJ80 for some years, gas mileage does indeed suck and they have the typical Toyota 6 cylinder headgasket near cylinder 6 due to EGR heat issue. Other than that, they are 100% cockroach status (live forever) and will support 37s on a stock axle unless you basically rock bounce and a 35 basically forever no matter what.

LX470 / UJZ100, as mentioned, will also be a small step up interior wise but mildly less capable offroad while riding better and getting slightly better gas mileage.

You're going to be very hard pressed to get decent gas mileage... your best option might honestly be to watch Japanese auctions to bring in something like a diesel Land Cruiser Prado for $10-12k all said and done.

edit: Oh, the Lexus GX470 is pretty much a Land Cruiser Prado and flies a little bit under the radar.

This was mine something like twelve years ago

Overlander 4x4-gfocpkn.jpg

Last edited by Chibo; 10-09-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Nice Landcruiser! I really like the looks and utility of those. What kind of MPG were you getting with that one?
Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Oh, I found a really old screenshot of part of it on my photobucket. Seems like mid 12s.

Overlander 4x4-r0e1lpz.jpg

Last edited by Chibo; 10-09-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I like the xterras/frontiers as a value play, 4 runners as well. The land cruisers you will pay a premium for. Buddy of mine did the Rubicon in his jeep Cherokee which are dirt cheap these days.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:43 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

with your budget and mpg requirements, find yourself a 06+ v6 4runner. They can be had for very cheap and real clean examples are very available at your price range. Xterras are reliable, up until the transmission cooler blows and mixes your antifreeze with transmission fluid.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
with your budget and mpg requirements, find yourself a 06+ v6 4runner. They can be had for very cheap and real clean examples are very available at your price range. Xterras are reliable, up until the transmission cooler blows and mixes your antifreeze with transmission fluid.
I like the Xterra because of the manual option which would eliminate that problem. Plus I like the looks a little better than the 4th gen 4 runner.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:13 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

We've had a Wrangler and a few Land Rovers, none of which would fit your budget requirements, the closest would be the Discovery II but those can be costly to repair if something goes wrong.

I'd say go Toyota as well, there's a reason why they still command a premium with a ton of miles on them. Land Cruiser would be my pick.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

totally forgot about their manual option

Quick Reply: Overlander 4x4