Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The passing of Sergio Marchionne and what that means for FCA

Old 07-25-2018, 03:58 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Unhappy The passing of Sergio Marchionne and what that means for FCA

Sergio Marchionne died pretty suddenly, leaving the FCA brand a bit up in the air.

Good short read about the man and the brands - https://www.automobilemag.com/news/s...fiat-chrysler/
Old 07-25-2018, 04:24 AM

Received 1,106 Likes on 987 Posts

Wild ass guess, Honda buys FCA.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Very sad at his passing. RIP Sergio....

He was scheduled to retire next year. I don't expect FCA to change course on anything. Decisions are well thought out and they can't just shoot from the hip. What decisions or road map they have in the works; who knows. Jeep and Ram are their core business, so those two will stay. Alfa is a national treasure in Italy, so that one isn't going anywhere. Chrysler, Lancia, and Dodge I'd think are open to offers.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:16 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Wow. That surgery must have gone really badly.

I don't know how good of an executive he was, he got lots of criticism for throwing some ideas against the wall, but he sure was doing a good job of getting Chrysler's debt paid off and Alfa launched in the US. That is not an easy job.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

He also spun off Ferrari and that was a winning play

He passed too soon, unfortunately medical procedures come with stats instead of warranties

Hopefully the new guy will spin the cry slur stuff off and the euro brands can continue without the stench of being associated with folks who built Nitros
Old 07-25-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87
Wild ass guess, Honda buys FCA.
I think Hyundai had been in talks for a while but who knows what the new CEO will do. The FCA European boss quit a few days ago because they appointed Mike Manley as CEO.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
He also spun off Ferrari and that was a winning play
Was it? I haven't followed their stock. I know it went down a little this week in the news.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:44 AM

Race was under $50 at the outset and has been close to $150

Today it sits at $130

The Ferrari dealer near work dumped Lotus, Aston, Maserati and McLaren to focus on Ferrari

i don’t know if you have a connection to the MA South Shore. There used to be a dealer called Autohaus in Cohassett. They had Ferrari, Aston, BMW and Nissan. I don’t think their show room could hold 2 cars comfortably and their workshop was like 6-8 cars.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
i don’t know if you have a connection to the MA South Shore. There used to be a dealer called Autohaus in Cohassett. They had Ferrari, Aston, BMW and Nissan. I don’t think their show room could hold 2 cars comfortably and their workshop was like 6-8 cars.
Yes, I knew that dealership well. Only as a Ferrari dealer. BMW was another building if I recall??? I did not know they had sold Aston. Showroom was like a large bed room. I had been to that dealership many times. There was also Gaston Andrey in Framingham and another Ferrari dealer in Western MA. Today, there are only two Aston, Lotus, and Ferrari dealers in all of New England. Ferrari doesn't make it lion's share profit from selling cars; it's all licensing.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:24 AM

I actually owned Gaston’s house in Millis after he made it big and moved to a larger estate in that small town.

once in a while one of the family would drive by in a 308. And toot the horn. Never met him.

i don’t recall why he didn’t keep the Ferrari franchise, and in later years he focused on Saab.

when I was a kid, Lotus was sold at High Performance Cars in Waltham, also a kaput dealer.

Quick Reply: The passing of Sergio Marchionne and what that means for FCA