Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Picked up a Mazda CX-5 this weekend

Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gospeedgo1
Congrats. Does your FWD model exhibit lack of acceleration or kicking down a gear when flooring the pedal from a stop or when rolling? My wife and I test drove a 2016 AWD model that was doing that.
yes, this is what I experienced as well, at low speed the car seemed to struggle to figure out which wheels to send power to or something, it was very odd. It just seemed to stumble around for a few seconds before taking off.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Originally Posted by QUIKAG' timestamp='1472487717' post='24050088
Solid small SUV. I really like them personally and $6,500 or so for two years of use seems like a really good deal.
Yeah, well I can be a very difficult at the dealership when I have no real need to close the deal. I'm up front about it too. "Look, I'm considering adding a third car. If the deal is great, I am willing to sign and drive one home today. If not...that's ok too." I wasn't married to the CX-5, so I wasn't the typical buyer who is emotionally invested in taking home a car they've absolutely fallen in love with. The CX-5 has the utility I was after, but the car wasn't a "must-have". That's the best negotiating position you can put yourself in. I had to tell the sales guy multiple times that we were just too far apart to make a deal happen.

You know the game, he wanted me to offer up a number at which I'd do the deal. Well, I was quite firm that I wasn't putting big money down, and wouldn't go over $250/mo. We were initially negotiating over a Grand Touring (mid-level, which I think is their volume trim level), and after much back and forth his manager simply wouldn't do the deal for my price. I knew we'd found rock bottom when he came back and suggested maybe he could put me in a 6 instead for that price. However good the 6 might be, I just have no need for a sedan. So I suggested we go down a trim level, and that's how we ended up at $244. When we finally did the credit app and disclosed our household income, the salesman was just speechless. :tipwink
Nice humblebrag, bro.

The grand touring is the top trim, touring is the middle and sport is the entry level.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Yep, definitely the best position to be in from a negotiating standpoint. What was the miles/yr on the 2 year lease? My fiancé's Mom needs a new SUV as her 4-year old Escape has over 120k miles on it (she drives a ton), so leasing isn't an option. She wanted another Escape and I was steering her the CX-5 as I think it's the best mid-size SUV on the market.
We went for 10k, and honestly we won't even use that on a 3rd vehicle. We usually average around 15k combined on our two cars.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG' timestamp='1472498120' post='24050325

Yep, definitely the best position to be in from a negotiating standpoint. What was the miles/yr on the 2 year lease? My fiancé's Mom needs a new SUV as her 4-year old Escape has over 120k miles on it (she drives a ton), so leasing isn't an option. She wanted another Escape and I was steering her the CX-5 as I think it's the best mid-size SUV on the market.
We went for 10k, and honestly we won't even use that on a 3rd vehicle. We usually average around 15k combined on our two cars.
Yeah, good deal on a 3rd car "beater" for sure. Enjoy!
Old 08-29-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol
The grand touring is the top trim, touring is the middle and sport is the entry level.
I misspoke earlier, it was Touring we were looking at initially, definitely not the Grand Touring.

Also, not trying to humble brag about income, I see how that could have come across wrong. I was just highlighting the irony from the salesman's perspective when a couple beats him up on price and is about to walk out over $25/mo, then reveals a fairly high household income, where $25 or even $50/mo. isn't exactly going to break the bank. Probably could have phrased that better...
Old 08-29-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by gospeedgo1' timestamp='1472496336' post='24050282
Congrats. Does your FWD model exhibit lack of acceleration or kicking down a gear when flooring the pedal from a stop or when rolling? My wife and I test drove a 2016 AWD model that was doing that.
yes, this is what I experienced as well, at low speed the car seemed to struggle to figure out which wheels to send power to or something, it was very odd. It just seemed to stumble around for a few seconds before taking off.
I haven't felt anything like that in the FWD. But I will keep an eye out for it. Does sound like it might be something in the AWD logic. Interesting...
Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol' timestamp='1472502287' post='24050402
I misspoke earlier, it was Touring we were looking at initially, definitely not the Grand Touring.

Also, not trying to humble brag about income, I see how that could have come across wrong. I was just highlighting the irony from the salesman's perspective when a couple beats him up on price and is about to walk out over $25/mo, then reveals a fairly high household income, where $25 or even $50/mo. isn't exactly going to break the bank. Probably could have phrased that better...
No problem! I often find that the folks with the highest incomes negotiate the most aggressively. They tend to be the most well informed and they tend to be quite careful with their money.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol
No problem! I often find that the folks with the highest incomes negotiate the most aggressively. They tend to be the most well informed and they tend to be quite careful with their money.
You don't get money by being foolish with it, that's for damn sure.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
You don't keep money by being foolish with it, that's for damn sure.
Fixed.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Just picked a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Sport this weekend in the same color (Blue Reflex Mica) to replace our 2014 BMW 328d for daily driver duties. We were looking for something that offered more practicality and room, and really liked the CX-5.

Quick Reply: Picked up a Mazda CX-5 this weekend