Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Picked up a new Honda...

Old 05-20-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Picked up a new Honda...

2018 Odyssey Elite. When we had our first kid we got a 2012 X3 xdrive35i. Then we moved to a 2013 X5M. It was a fun family car, but the frequent stops at gas stations got annoying for a family car. In 2015 we moved onto a Q7 Diesel was great on gas, but the powertrain just made it terrible to drive. I have 3 kids now and so I finally convinced my wife to get a minivan. It was an extremely hard sell as she always said she would never in her life drive a minivan. But the new Odyssey is pretty awesome (for a minivan of course) and so I rented one for 4 days and won her over with all the tech and conveniences of transporting kids around.

We picked up our 2018 Elite at around $1k under invoice and couldn't be happier with the decision. There are only 3 things that bug me with this van. 1. All the chrome trim (which as you can see in the photos below that I solved with vinyl wrap). 2. FWD. I forgot how much I hate FWD cars. This van is relatively quick (0-60 in 7s and faster than my Q7 was), but nothing is more embarrassing than spinning the front tires in a minivan from a stop. It really doesn't take much throttle to get the front wheels spinning. But once you are going it's very smooth and way more responsive than my super turbo laggy Q7. 3. Last problem I noticed is how sensitive Honda Sensing is. The car has slammed on the brakes 3x while I was making a quick lane change. The computer sees that the corner of my car is getting too close to the car I am overtaking and at the last moment, when I'm pretty much in the next lane over, decides to apply the brakes very aggressively. Makes me look like I don't even know how to drive. I would turn the system off (if that's even possible), but I want it on for when my wife drives. So it's just another thing I have to pay attention to as it has caught me totally off guard a few times and I feel like if anything the computer is going to cause an accident one day.

Never cared for minivans (I've tried test driving them in the past and always hated them), but Honda did an amazing job with this generation. I've had it for 2 weeks now and I still find it enjoyable to drive. All the tech is awesome and there's just so much space for the family and cargo.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats! We have a 2015 Odyssey and love it for the family. We have two kids and loading them in and out is so much easier than the CR-V we used to have. Plus having retired parents going places with us make our Odyssey a great choice.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Right tool right job.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Ok, this is wayyyyyyyy outside of my wheelhouse because wife and I never had kids and I have never liked them minivans and would never drive one. With that said, it is still unreal how far these machines have come. Growing up I never would have imagined that they would turn into such comfortable, efficient, dare I say fast, and packed full of features that will entertain kids and haul tons of stuff. Todays minivans are actually pretty cool. If I had a bunch of kids to tow around I'd be all over one of these. My opinion of them has changed from "over my dead body" to "these things really offer what nothing else on the market come close to as a total package".

Looks real nice. I bet it will be a great car. Congrats on the purchase!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk...-ride-1175455/

tWinning so hard! One of the best overall cars ever made. You will love it!
The following users liked this post:
radiantm3 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not wealthy enough for a loaded '18 but we will be buying a facelifted 4th gen soon.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ealand0001
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk...-ride-1175455/

tWinning so hard! One of the best overall cars ever made. You will love it!
Nice! I was actually looking for an 18 Odyssey post around here, but didn't see one so I started a new one.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Cage it.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

You can also upgrade the tires to something a little more "serious" if you want to keep from spinning them.

We love our Odyssey - it's an amazing long-distance hauler for our family. We've done to-and-from California (from Vancouver, BC) multiple times now and it's awesome for spending all day inside. That's two straight days, each way, 11 hours each day, in a vehicle and the kids handle it without issue.

Yes, they're not very good looking and they're still very big, ungainly vehicles but they're still a LOT better to drive than a Tahoe or Suburban.
The following users liked this post:
radiantm3 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You can also upgrade the tires to something a little more "serious" if you want to keep from spinning them.

We love our Odyssey - it's an amazing long-distance hauler for our family. We've done to-and-from California (from Vancouver, BC) multiple times now and it's awesome for spending all day inside. That's two straight days, each way, 11 hours each day, in a vehicle and the kids handle it without issue.

Yes, they're not very good looking and they're still very big, ungainly vehicles but they're still a LOT better to drive than a Tahoe or Suburban.
Yea better tires is the plan once these get worn down. I haven't even looked at what options there are. RE71R? JK. But yea tires should make a nice improvement in performance all around.

Quick Reply: Picked up a new Honda...