Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Picked up a new whip!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

How much out of curiosity? Car is gorgeous.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I'd go after all the rust before interior - its prob more work than you might think.

I'm pretty sure rust was a factory-standard feature of Japanese cars from the 70s.
There is virtually no rust, the most that you will see is on the hood latch in the engine bay, and the hood release bracket thats attached to the chassis in the interior. But yes, while I am doing the interior I will be going underneath the car to make sure there is no exposed paint or metal as well and making sure there is no moisture and air getting to that frame. There is almost as much rust on my 2008 Mazda
Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
How much out of curiosity? Car is gorgeous.
I probably overpaid a little bit, but it was worth it to not have to worry about rust on a major level. And for the look, but yeah it was about 20k CDN. You pay about 10~12 in Canada for most of them that are just clean but with 40 year old paint and an engine that's never been rebuilt or swapped. And a lot of them have some fairly ugly fender flares or body kits on them.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like your taste in cars.

This is Leon from HybridZ!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Hey Leon. Good to see someone from HybridZ on here. And of course you are posting in both my threads lol. I am so excited about this thing, I also posted on clubrsx and mazda3forums. There is something kind of special about old metal that seems to bridge gaps between different types of enthusiasts. I got some thumbs up from a guy in a classic Chevelle while filling up on the way out here as well.

Basically since I was 16 I have always wanted one of these, I have had other favourites that I have learned about and lost interest in ever owning (Toyota MR2's, FD RX-7's), cars that I will always appreciate but this was the itch that had to be scratched. It was sort of a fast decision on it as well, the condo I am moving into this winter I secured a 2nd underground stall in. So I wanted to put something in there, initially I was thinking S2000, or perhaps FR-S. Then I saw an article comparing the new Scion with the 240Z. I started looking at old Datsuns again and found this one on art of stance and autotrader. New I would regret it if I didn't jump on it
Old 10-17-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy
Hey Leon. Good to see someone from HybridZ on here. And of course you are posting in both my threads lol. I am so excited about this thing, I also posted on clubrsx and mazda3forums. There is something kind of special about old metal that seems to bridge gaps between different types of enthusiasts. I got some thumbs up from a guy in a classic Chevelle while filling up on the way out here as well.

Basically since I was 16 I have always wanted one of these, I have had other favourites that I have learned about and lost interest in ever owning (Toyota MR2's, FD RX-7's), cars that I will always appreciate but this was the itch that had to be scratched. It was sort of a fast decision on it as well, the condo I am moving into this winter I secured a 2nd underground stall in. So I wanted to put something in there, initially I was thinking S2000, or perhaps FR-S. Then I saw an article comparing the new Scion with the 240Z. I started looking at old Datsuns again and found this one on art of stance and autotrader. New I would regret it if I didn't jump on it
Yes, the Z's tend to draw lots of (good) attention. People will approach you and tell you stories about how they, or their dad, or uncle, or friend-of-a-friend had one and how they took a cross country road trip in it back in the day! It's awesome and something I never expected or was looking for when I bought the car. With that said, the body is timeless and the mechanicals are amazingly robust for a 40-year-old car, plus it's very easy to work on.

I've had those favorites too, that I wanted for a while. After getting the Z the others just didn't matter anymore. Well, except for the S2000, but that's another story! Ok, the E36 M Coupe is quite luster-worthy as well. However, owning an S30 and S2000 is nothing to complain about.

Hope you enjoy the Z!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Niiiice!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that track pack is really nice but over priced. You can get a nice set of coil overs and such cheaper and just as good quality (this is gothalosism from Hybridz or skittle from Zcar)

Thats right the shotokahns not the hyashi's
Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Hey Skittle,

Yeah I already have coilovers, I just like the idea of replacing all the steel control arms and what not with billet aluminum, as well as the brakes. More than likely I will probably just piece it together over the years. I don't want to convert to 5 lug either as I would like to keep using these wheels
Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sick

Evan

Quick Reply: Picked up a new whip!