Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Picked up a new whip!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Thank you guys,

rnye, thank you for always posting about your 240Z on here, in part if it wasn't for some of your posts I would have had a hard time believing a 40 year old car could be as much fun as an S2000 (in different ways). It's part of what gave me the courage to buy this old beaut instead of a much newer car
Old 10-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome, simply, awesome! Congrats.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Absolutely gorgeous car, please continue to update this thread!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you on the ls1 idea. I have a friend that has a RB25DET NEO in his 73 240 and yet my lt1 still is faster and more dependable. If I ever have to change anything out I can just go to a local parts store and get it over the counter. He on the other hand has to try to find the parts locally or order it online from a performance shop or Japan.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 AM

Unfortunately due to me living like a gypsy I have just realized I have no real way to jack the car up without getting some home made ramps done, I might wait to raise the car until this winter when I am in the underground parking at my new place. Either way my inspection is just a couple days away!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Any updates or even pictures?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 AM

No major updates - I am waiting to move into my new condo still right now but one of my 2 underground stalls was open and my builder allowed me to move the 240 into a warm spot for now, I took the steering wheel out of the car to make it a little harder to steal. But basically until I move in it is going to be incredibly inconvenient to get anything done though.

Inspection went well though, all I need are some longer wheel studs for the front end, get my window crank on the driver side properly secured and get my washer fluid spraying again.

So I got new ARP wheel studs for the front for about $30.00, a new wiper fluid motor for about $15. And a clip and protector to hold my window crank on properly for about $1.80 So atleast come spring time I can have this stuff done and be able to actually drive the car which should be the main goal

Also got some other small goodies, all new carpets in the original loop carpet style, new headlight covers, new lights for the dashboard, oil filter. Also found a company that sells factory like jute floor/transmission tunnel replacements. Once I get moved and settled I am going to start doing some actual work, there will be photos to document the processes.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 AM

wow awesome pickup. i would love me a clean old classic like your car.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM

oh no... it's the devil Z.

Beautiful car! I love the wheels on the car. They really suits the body.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:41 PM

Thought I would give an update; I know some people here like the vintage metal. Did some major work over the winter in terms of organizing the engine bay and getting things cleaned up. Sorry for the poor pictures:

Car was missing a grille completely, found a factory 240Z grille from a 72 that fit with my carbon bumper. Got it powdercoated black as well as my window wiper arms which were super faded. New headlight covers put on as the old ones were yellowed and scratched really badly. Headgasket replaced engine torn apart, head was warped by about 1.5 mm so had that corrected, valve cover polished, wiring cleaned up massively, rear seal between engine and transmission replaced due to leak engine block repainted black, new fuel lines, aluminum radiator with electric fans, aluminum front hubs, new 6-1 ceramic coated header. A few small metal pieces were cleaned and polished in the engine bay as well as the interior. Even found an original radio that wasn't working to fill the gap in my dash. I gutted the radio to save 455 grams of weight (1 pound lol).

I also bought a VQ35HR that needs to be rebuilt; just a an oil leak from somewhere, likely was going to do a fairly extensive build even if I had a perfect motor anyway. So I also need a 6 Speed transmission and a stand alone ECU to run it. I will likely build it over the next couple years and decide whether that engine goes in this car or I get a second 240 as a project car. The VQ35 would remove about 100 pounds off the front end of the car and its half the length of the stock motor so I felt it was a good compromise for a motor swap if my L-Series dies. But for those that have ever heard an L-Series with triples and a big cam it does sound pretty amazing, lots of backfiring and burbling, very intoxicating so as much as I want to go faster I don't want to get rid of this engine unless I have to.

Quick Reply: Picked up a new whip!