Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Chris Harris drives the Tesla Model S P100D

Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Chris Harris drives the Tesla Model S P100D

"Chris Harris takes on the might of the Tesla Model S. And it's not just any Model S, but the P100D"
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I test drove a P100D, it was a rocket off the line but felt not that fast after about 80 mph. Neat party trick but the 163k sticker was kind of nuts.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

These things appeal more to techies than drivers. They want the autopilot, they want the remote updates to the car, and they like the electric drivetrain zipping to insane speeds in a couple seconds. I think though, that even if these cars did 0-60 in 5 seconds instead of 3, the same people would buy them.

While I think I would like to experience the rocket launches a few times, the silent car thing would get on my nerves, and the weight would take away some of my fun going around corners. I think if I wanted a big heavy car that goes fast a C63 AMG would give me the growl, the tail sliding fun, and far better luxury at a lower price. It does not have "insane mode" but I think I would enjoy it more on an every day basis more than I would a Tesla. And if a little less luxury were what I wanted, Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio all the way.

I don't have another $75k to drop on a car but after all of the accolades, I have Quadrifoglio on the brain.

Last edited by vader1; 12-11-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
These things appeal more to techies than drivers. They want the autopilot, they want the remote updates to the car, and they like the electric drivetrain zipping to insane speeds in a couple seconds. I think though, that even if these cars did 0-60 in 5 seconds instead of 3, the same people would buy them.

While I think I would like to experience the rocket launches a few times, the silent car thing would get on my nerves, and the weight would take away some of my fun going around corners. I think if I wanted a big heavy car that goes fast a C63 AMG would give me the growl, the tail sliding fun, and far better luxury at a lower price. It does not have "insane mode" but I think I would enjoy it more on an every day basis more than I would a Tesla. And if a little less luxury were what I wanted, Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio all the way.

I don't have another $75k to drop on a car but after all of the accolades, I have Quadrifoglio on the brain.
75K buys you the the 5.5 second model. I drove that one as well, it's not nearly as much fun.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I've been for a few rides in Tesla's and while neat, I don't want one. The silent thing bugs me quite a bit, plus I don't find them all that nice on the inside or outside. No way I'd pay $150k+ for one.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Acceleration is neat but for a luxury sedan, I'd want a nicer interior and better driving dynamics than a Tesla offers. After all, it's a luxury sedan, not just a fast sedan.

I think Mercedes offers a much more compelling package (S63/65) or even a top-of-the-line Audi (S8). Yeah, they're not as quick at low speeds but they have a real luxury interior, better options, better looks (in my opinion), don't weigh nearly as much, sound great, and they offer a much more complete overall package.

I actually think a Tesla Model 3 is a more compelling argument where it's not trying to match the luxury aspect of the market. Good acceleration, decent options, good looks, not as insanely heavy - it's a better overall package compared to its entry-luxury class (BMW 3, Mercedes C, Audi A, etc).
Old 12-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I actually think a Tesla Model 3 is a more compelling argument where it's not trying to match the luxury aspect of the market. Good acceleration, decent options, good looks, not as insanely heavy - it's a better overall package compared to its entry-luxury class (BMW 3, Mercedes C, Audi A, etc).
I think I would take issue with the overall case for the model 3. It does seem neat, and can get to 60 in 4.8 IF you have the $9,000 optional battery. The OTD price will almost never be near $35,000 and again, the interior is REALLY plain. We are obviously just taking sides on personal taste, But I would take the aged and outdated interior in my 328i over the Tesla model 3. The Audi A4 beats it by a long shot, as well as the Merc.

If this is considered to compete with what is considered "entry level luxury" cars, I don't think it is going to hold up well.

versus my interior which is considered "outdated". I'd rather have what I have and with the new A4 out now and new 3 series coming, and high class Merc interior, all have stepped up their interior game. The Model 3 does not look very pampering for something that will cost $50k. I'd rather have the loaded Accord for a real $35k than the Model 3 even if it is not electric fast. The Model 3 just comes off as cheap looking. And while I have not seen the Model 3 interior in person, I have seen the Model S and agree with Chris Harris that the leather is not top quality either.

Last edited by vader1; 12-11-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I haven't seen a Model 3 in person so I couldn't argue one way or the other, but it doesn't have to have all the nifty features of a top luxury car like a Tesla S does (or should). It does look quite plain in your photo, though - horribly plain. I don't think I'd argue against you on this one, though I was speaking more of features than actual appearance. Even then, I'm wondering what features the Model 3... I honestly have no interest in a Model 3 so I haven't spent any time digging into what it offers.

Mercedes interiors are very, very good now (best in class, I would think, in most cases) so I won't disagree with you on that, either. The C Class is pretty sharp inside. At the top end, I've looked at the AMG GT and it is amazing inside - makes a 911 interior look positively plebeian.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Acceleration is neat but for a luxury sedan, I'd want a nicer interior and better driving dynamics than a Tesla offers. After all, it's a luxury sedan, not just a fast sedan.

I think Mercedes offers a much more compelling package (S63/65) or even a top-of-the-line Audi (S8). Yeah, they're not as quick at low speeds but they have a real luxury interior, better options, better looks (in my opinion), don't weigh nearly as much, sound great, and they offer a much more complete overall package.

Yup exactly. The interior of those cars are seriously underwhelming for a car half the cost let alone at their cost. Consumers think that those screens are expensive but in reality they're not compared to a traditional button setup.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Got a ride in a patient's Tesla. Felt a little queasy after a couple of crazy acceleration.
like many on this forum, I am no stranger to high speed and acceleration. Still, the Tesla's acceleration something else.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris drives the Tesla Model S P100D