Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Please list all the reasons why FWD cars will lose on a track to RWD cars or AWD

Old 11-23-2002, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please list all the reasons why FWD cars will lose on a track to RWD cars or AWD

I have a friend who won't believe me that when you have a FWD car (especially honda's) that it can beat cars in the long run on tracks. I do not agree. I have listed my reasons, especially since you brake, accel and turn all with the same 2 front tires...but he still won't believe me. I need support from all you guys.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:18 PM

Screw him
Old 11-23-2002, 08:22 PM

Tell him to try this next time when he is at a grocery store.

Instead of pushing the grocery shopping cart from behind, pull it from the front, do a few "turns" and see the difference.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:39 PM

FWD cars have horrible weight distribution, the transmission engine and driveshafts all sit on the frontend and screw with the cars polar movement. weight transfer shifts weight away from the drive wheels leading to spin at lower speeds if you add too much throttle, the rearend likes to come around on fast stops since theres no weight in the back to keep the rears planted. making the front tires turn and add power at the same time also makes it much easier to break them loose, which affects both FWD and AWD, but moreso FWD being all of the power goes there instead of a percentage as in AWDs case.
if its such a good setup, why dont you ask him ho wmany professional racers use FWD when RWD or AWD are available, or how many itmes a FWD car has won at lemans.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:53 PM

FWD is more of an ecomomy drivetrain (I think that's what you call it) because it helps in rain (I have no clue why, don't ask me ) and because most of us don't take our cars seriously, so they don't take advantage of AWD or FWD.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:03 PM

I love you guys!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 09:04 PM

From what I've heard, FWD are better for the average person, since if the back breaks loose, the front wheels can effectively "pull" them back in line.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:22 AM

many reasons, but just one is that when the vehicle accelerates it's weight is transfered towards the rear. you want that weight on the driven wheels. another is that you can use the throttle to break the drive wheels loose without breaking loose the wheels that you steer the car with. not possible when the drive and steering wheels are one and the same.

i dunno though, the deep physics of this are beyond me. i am certain you can find lots of information by doing a search.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:30 AM

I did an experiment with my remote controlled Tamiya TB-01 AWD chassis with a Subaru body (you can put many different bodies on this chassis.) The motor and battery are in the middle of the car so it's pretty balanced front/back. I tried removed the gear on the drive shaft to the front differential and then rear the see how well it would run. As expected, I noticed a lot of wheel spin before the car started to move forward in the FWD setting. Maybe it would work better if the front was heavier as in real FWD vehicles. Best acceleration was seen in AWD for this experiment. RWD performance was very similar to AWD. It was easier to control in the AWD though; that's why most hobby class RC cars/trucks are AWD. It was quite educational!!
Old 11-24-2002, 07:28 AM

To much RWD bias in this forum Yes RWD is better in most scenarios but here are some it isn't.

Engine braking: FWD can use the engine to help brake much more effectively than a RWD.
Oversteer: In oversteer situations you just floor a FWD. In a RWD you have to wait until the back wheels have traction to accelerate.
Rain: Huge advantage for FWD since they can get on the power sooner and because they are easier to control in the wet.

Now I am not saying that FWD is better, but a well driven, properly setup FWD can beat many RWD cars on a track.

Quick Reply: Please list all the reasons why FWD cars will lose on a track to RWD cars or AWD