Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Pontiac Considers the S2000 it's "Main Rival"?

Old 01-04-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac Considers the S2000 it's "Main Rival"?

Interesting Article by Richard Truett in the January 2nd issue of "Automotive News".

"Pontiac's plan to re-establish itself as General Motor's performance division will pick up speed in August when the 260-hp Solstice GXP arrives at dealerships.

The Pontiac Solstice GXP packs a turbocharged 2.0-liter engine with variable valve timing and direct injection. It will be introduced this week at the LosAngeles Auto Show.

With 260 hp coming from just 2.0 liters, the GXP's engine has a higher output per liter than any engine GM has ever made, says spokesman Tom Read. It's also the first engine in North America with gasoline direct injection.

The GXP's fuel system moves the injectors off the intake manifold and onto the cylinder head. With gasoline direct injection, fuel is precisely aimed and controlled in the combustion chambers, resulting in a fuel and air mixture that creates more power.

"What we are trying to achieve with this engine is not only the high power but also good low-end torque and response," said Ed Groff, assistant chief engineer for the 2.0 liter Ecotec engine.

Pontiac says the Solstice GXP will reach 60 mph in just 5.5 seconds, 0.2 seconds quicker than it's main rival, the Honda S2000, and a full 2 seconds quicker than the new Mazda MX-5 Miata.

The GPX package includes dual exhaust and stability control. It will carry a price premium of $4,000 to $5,000. The base Solstice, which has a 177-hp 2.4 liter engine, starts at $19,995, including shipping.

The rival S2000 starts at $34,600, including shipping. There is no comparable high-performance Mazda Miata model." AN
Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 AM

Thats an interesting find. Though I find it no suprise that an American auto maker would release an article and only compare a 0-60mph acceleration figure, a number that is virtually irrelevant for a lightweight roadster...though US car manufactuerers never fail to talk about POWER POWER POWER. Lets get a comparo of some corner entry speeds, braking capabilities abd balance, slolam and power usability through the rev-band. Maybe some of the things a driver has to deal with after the first 6 seconds of driving. I can't stand this horsepower craze that American companies refuse to let go of.

More and more gas is used up, and larger and larger engines are coming out of the US. Whereas companies like BMW can up the power of their cars with the same displacement, and actually improve gas mileage, Japanese manufactureres too, America puts more and more into what are already heavy cars. I dont know anyone who likes to drive places that are 5.5 seconds away, so maybe if i can get some other information on this car it would be more tantilizing. For now though, it just looks like a Solstice on steroids.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 AM

it will be interesting to see how reliability is with this. what hp do S2K's get w/a turbocharger? $4-5k S/C is at around 330HP right?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 AM

^^^ The engine certainly sounds interesting - a highrevving 2.0l with a turbo, variable valve timing, AND direct injection. That's groundbreaking technology for the US automotive market.

I'm surprised to see that first in a GM product. They are typically more conservative in rolling out new automotive technologies. They most often either wait for the technology to become mature and refined and/or they roll new technologies out only on their more expensive, higher-end products. But this new engine for the Solstice GXP sounds like some bleeding edge stuff.

Andrew
Old 01-04-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

They have said all along the S2000 was their target in handling.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=Skatemur,Jan 4 2006, 12:33 PM]More and more gas is used up, and larger and larger engines are coming out of the US. Whereas companies like BMW can up the power of their cars with the same displacement, and actually improve gas mileage, Japanese manufactureres too, America puts more and more into what are already heavy cars. I dont know anyone who likes to drive places that are 5.5 seconds away, so maybe if i can get some other information on this car it would be more tantilizing. For now though, it just looks like a Solstice on steroids.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Skatemur,Jan 4 2006, 12:33 PM
More and more gas is used up, and larger and larger engines are coming out of the US. Whereas companies like BMW can up the power of their cars with the same displacement, and actually improve gas mileage, Japanese manufactureres too, America puts more and more into what are already heavy cars. I dont know anyone who likes to drive places that are 5.5 seconds away, so maybe if i can get some other information on this car it would be more tantilizing. For now though, it just looks like a Solstice on steroids.

You must think the S2000 sips gas.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:48 AM

Competition is bad? I think not. It makes the other try to excel in the next version. Wasn't there a thread a few months ago where a bunch of art students got together and make new honda s2000 concepts. Honda seems interested in the "competition". Keep in mind that Honda probably is in some contract to use parts and when that contract is up, they will make new parts for the new car.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like a nice package. Milage should be pretty good with the direct injection.

You could probably fuel tune the stock package for a little more power easier than the S2000.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Pontiac says the Solstice GXP will reach 60 mph in just 5.5 seconds, 0.2 seconds quicker than it's main rival, the Honda S2000"

Uh yes... the s2000 does 0-60 in 5.7... Nice... let's just leave them thinking that it's .2 seconds faster than a s2000, i'll make sure to tell some guy that after I pull 5 cars on him.

Quick Reply: Pontiac Considers the S2000 it's "Main Rival"?