Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Possibly shuffling the fleet

Old 09-15-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possibly shuffling the fleet

Perhaps I'm just losing it, but I've been thinking about making some changes in our vehicle lineup w/ a baby on the way. I love the "which car should I pick" kind of threads, but rarely start one, so here goes the story.

We currently have an '06 Jetta TDI, '07 Cayman S, '08 Ridgeline RTL, and '07 KTM Super Duke, which have all been great and very complementary rides. My wife and I have always enjoyed doing Hill Country drives together, but that's not going to happen w/ our current lineup of no fun cars w/ a back seat. Additionally, I'm becoming more conservative in my street riding as a result of increasing responsibilities, and don't find it as enjoyable as a result. As a result, I've been thinking about mixing things up a little bit so I can transport the whole family in a fun car. The only vehicle that I won't even consider trading is the Ridgeline, b/c I need it to haul my dirtbikes.

Bonus points for the more economical ones since my wife is going to quit working once our son is born.

Here are some of the options I've contemplated:

1) Replace the Cayman S w/ something more practical: I've recently test driven the M3 sedan, 135i, and STI, and preferred them in the order listed. None of them are as good in terms of fun factor, but would still be cool cars. STI is most practical/cheapest, M3 is lustworthy but expensive and a gas guzzler, and 135i falls in between but would be a PITA to get a kid in and out of being a coupe. A 335i sedan prob. makes the most sense, but leaves me a bit colder as a sports car replacement.

2) Replace the Jetta w/ a Civic Si (or Mazdaspeed 3?). The Jetta has maintained so much value that it could potentially be a very low cost swap for the Civic Si. I've driven a couple of friends' Si's, and they're fun cars plus a great value. My wife wouldn't want to commute w/ a stick, but if she's not going to be working, it s/b a non-issue.

3) Replace the Cayman S w/ an '06+ S2000 Perhaps it's just the cooling weather, but I've missed the convertible aspect of the S2000 recently, and current pricing is very attractive. If I have power withdrawals, I could always install a Kraftworks S/C. This option is especially appealing should I decide to give up street riding, as no other car (that I can afford) comes closer to the feeling of riding a sport bike than the S2000. I'd prob. keep still keep my Super Duke and gear for at least a while, since I quit before and wasted a lot of money getting back into it (plus it might motivate me to do more track days).

4) combine 2 +3. This would give us an all-Honda lineup, and prob. free up around $15K to invest. I worry that such a move might lead to torque withdrawals, though.

5) do nothing. We already have 2 kid-friendly vehicles, and shouldn't be doing too spirited driving w/ an infant anyway.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

You'll definitely need a sidecar for the Duke.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 AM
Zam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar lineup to yours: 06 CS, 05 Tacoma dbl cab and an 08 xB. I'm always, considering trading or adding new cars.

I agree with your plan not to get rid of the truck. I detest driving our Tacoma, but we do not want to give up the utility. I have been thinking of trading to a Denali pickup, but it is too "old guy" for my likes. I'm 32.

Get rid of the Cayman for a much cheaper S2k. Good idea, but I recently drove my brother's AP2 (after having my CS for a year now) and couldn't see myself going back. It just feels industrial compared to the soultry loveliness of the CS. Please no flames, I love the S2k, but not more than a Cayman.

Get rid of TDI for Si, yeah that seems like a good trade. The TDI is far more frugal & a bit more rare, but the Si will be far more fun. If I could get the wife out of her slushbox, the Si or MS3 would be at the top of my 4 door replacement list.

Hope that helps a little...
Old 09-16-2008, 03:38 AM

Do nothing. Seems like a fine lineup to me.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll miss the Cayman S very soon after parting from it. Seeing a Cayman on the road is torture for me.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 AM

Keep the Ridgeline (nice safe practical vehicle).Sell the others buy an S2k bank the cash.Your not gonna care about sport driving with precious cargo onboard.
You can buy a used 06 with low miles that was well kept for 22-23k,like you said if you need more power get the Kraftwerks it will smoke a 335i or Cayman S.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 15 2008, 11:43 PM
Perhaps I'm just losing it, but I've been thinking about making some changes in our vehicle lineup w/ a baby on the way. I love the "which car should I pick" kind of threads, but rarely start one, so here goes the story.

We currently have an '06 Jetta TDI, '07 Cayman S, '08 Ridgeline RTL, and '07 KTM Super Duke, which have all been great and very complementary rides. My wife and I have always enjoyed doing Hill Country drives together, but that's not going to happen w/ our current lineup of no fun cars w/ a back seat. Additionally, I'm becoming more conservative in my street riding as a result of increasing responsibilities, and don't find it as enjoyable as a result. As a result, I've been thinking about mixing things up a little bit so I can transport the whole family in a fun car. The only vehicle that I won't even consider trading is the Ridgeline, b/c I need it to haul my dirtbikes.

Bonus points for the more economical ones since my wife is going to quit working once our son is born.

Here are some of the options I've contemplated:

1) Replace the Cayman S w/ something more practical: I've recently test driven the M3 sedan, 135i, and STI, and preferred them in the order listed. None of them are as good in terms of fun factor, but would still be cool cars. STI is most practical/cheapest, M3 is lustworthy but expensive and a gas guzzler, and 135i falls in between but would be a PITA to get a kid in and out of being a coupe. A 335i sedan prob. makes the most sense, but leaves me a bit colder as a sports car replacement.

2) Replace the Jetta w/ a Civic Si (or Mazdaspeed 3?). The Jetta has maintained so much value that it could potentially be a very low cost swap for the Civic Si. I've driven a couple of friends' Si's, and they're fun cars plus a great value. My wife wouldn't want to commute w/ a stick, but if she's not going to be working, it s/b a non-issue.

3) Replace the Cayman S w/ an '06+ S2000 Perhaps it's just the cooling weather, but I've missed the convertible aspect of the S2000 recently, and current pricing is very attractive. If I have power withdrawals, I could always install a Kraftworks S/C. This option is especially appealing should I decide to give up street riding, as no other car (that I can afford) comes closer to the feeling of riding a sport bike than the S2000. I'd prob. keep still keep my Super Duke and gear for at least a while, since I quit before and wasted a lot of money getting back into it (plus it might motivate me to do more track days).

4) combine 2 +3. This would give us an all-Honda lineup, and prob. free up around $15K to invest. I worry that such a move might lead to torque withdrawals, though.

5) do nothing. We already have 2 kid-friendly vehicles, and shouldn't be doing too spirited driving w/ an infant anyway.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts!
Get rid of them all?

Get a GTR and a Civic auto or an Audi A4 to take the Jetta's place but with luxury, style, and of course that DD wife loving AWD. You can DD the GTR too. :-)

Just a thought!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:56 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Bboy AJ,Sep 16 2008, 03:38 AM] Do nothing.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I vote for #5 do nothing. First, based on your comments about the Cayman S, I think you'd end up regretting getting rid of it. Second, there's no real need to trade in the Jetta on a four-seat cannyon carver - use your existing cars for hillcountry cruises, and keep for Porsche for some father-and-son fun time once he's older. I spent a lot of my childhood weekends at ER, SCCA and PCA events. Third, in a few years get a CRF50F, slap on some racing slicks and bring him out to MSR.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll stay as is.

Quick Reply: Possibly shuffling the fleet