Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

SIM Card in Car | Anyone using them?

Old 09-19-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts
Default SIM Card in Car | Anyone using them?

Both of our cars allow for a SIM card to be inserted. Access to in car app's, stronger signal than cell phone, etc... We went to T Mobile yesterday to inquire on data only plans to take advantage of this technology. They said it was $20 a month per car for a data only plan... You kidding me? That's more than Sirius per car and I don't see how many would go for a $20 expense just to get some semi-useless app for the Nav....

Is anyone using a SIM in their car? Are you getting a better rate than that? Do you find it worth the cost?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Does the car then serve as a wifi hotspot for other devices? Is there are per-GB data cost going forward?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

My 17 M2 will have this but I'm not going to use it past the free trial. Most phones have the ability to hotspot/tether so why do you need a SIM card in your car?

Funny side note, checked out a friends 991 GT3RS and it had an actual wireless phone handset built into the center console you could take out and hold like a 1990's car phone.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:23 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I honestly don't see the monetary benefit in having in-car WiFi. Partially because I already have unlimited data, but also because the price and data limit aren't enticing at all.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I can say in the Volvo, using built in SIM allows for better reception as the car antenna and amp are 3 watts and phone is like 1 watt. You won't have any Bluetooth issues as it is not being used run Panadora and could theoretically make cell phone browsing of internet better as the signal is stronger than the phone.

In the Jag, I believe there are functions that can only be served if using a SIM card. Special applications are tied to the NAV unit and not served from the phone.

If there were data plans for $10 a month I would do it. Doesn't sound like anyone here is utilizing this feature which is my general hunch. Why would manufacturers put so much effort into this if no one is going us it? Are data only plans cheaper in APAC or EMEA?

I haven't gone to the cheap providers to see if they have a better deal.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like AT&T does 1 GB car plans for $10/mo.
https://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless...nect/audi.html then go to Data Plans tab.
(Volvo is listed, but says "available next year.")

Edit: Huh. Just spent some time reading the fine print. Sounds like to get the $10/mo 1 GB car plan requires being on their Unlimited Plan which costs $60/mo, which requires Directv which costs, hell, I dunno, a stupid amount.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

Otherwise, yeah, seems like $20/mo minimum to get a car 1 GB, or pre-pay $199 to get 10 GB to use over a year.

Oh, wait, with GM cars looks like you can add 1 GB for a car to an existing wireless account for $10/mo? I wouldn't be surprised if there's some stupid fine print somewhere in there for that as well.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I still don't own a cell phone so....whatever. I never have needed internet while driving, don't plan on it in the future. All three of our cars have nav. I think I will just pocket the $20 a month.

People ask me "How do you get by?" It is pretty easy. They ask me "What if you want to get email in the car?" They don't understand the LAST thing I want is to get my email in my car, or a phone call. One coworker I have lunch with all the time lets me know how much he hates it that he can't just text me to ask if I am free for lunch. It really bugs him. I like to be isolated from anything phone related while I drive and just enjoy behind the wheel time.

Probably ones of the signs of a being serial killer.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Looks like AT&T does 1 GB car plans for $10/mo.
https://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless...nect/audi.html then go to Data Plans tab.
(Volvo is listed, but says "available next year.")

Edit: Huh. Just spent some time reading the fine print. Sounds like to get the $10/mo 1 GB car plan requires being on their Unlimited Plan which costs $60/mo, which requires Directv which costs, hell, I dunno, a stupid amount.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

Otherwise, yeah, seems like $20/mo minimum to get a car 1 GB, or pre-pay $199 to get 10 GB to use over a year.

Oh, wait, with GM cars looks like you can add 1 GB for a car to an existing wireless account for $10/mo? I wouldn't be surprised if there's some stupid fine print somewhere in there for that as well.
1GB? I used 18 last month.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
My 17 M2 will have this but I'm not going to use it past the free trial. Most phones have the ability to hotspot/tether so why do you need a SIM card in your car?

Funny side note, checked out a friends 991 GT3RS and it had an actual wireless phone handset built into the center console you could take out and hold like a 1990's car phone.
It's hilarious. Happens to a lot of Porsche guys because the website descriptions for options are totally vague and confusing. Most people think they need to order the phone module to have bluetooth access and end up getting a car phone in their brand new car.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of the German cars have the sim built in so no need to add one. My M2 will have it. All BMW's are 4g anyways. All of my GM cars have the Wifi and never used it, who does use it? Onstars cost of it is stupid expensive.

Quick Reply: SIM Card in Car | Anyone using them?