Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Problem with Modern Cars Becoming Collectible

Old 08-27-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I really don't see the 1le becoming collectible, but I do hope you're right since it's near the top for my next car purchase. What makes you think it will be?
My thought is interesting options- that most of the general public do not want, and only the real gear heads order- and there are not many of us- tend to command a premium down the road once they reach collectible status. Proportionally, there is a very small % of the overall production run with this option. Think about the rare option codes for corvettes and mustangs and camaros and Grand nationals/GNX's. Think about more modern collectibles like the integra- the TypeR option which commands a premium over the GS-R.

When will a modern car become collectible- its going to be at least 25-30 years down the road so you gotta keep the car for a very long time, and not drive it much. Think final gen supra turbo- its now a valuable collectible after nearly 25 yrs. The Nissan GTR (now 25 yrs old) is commanding higher prices than it did 15 yrs ago (we've been importing GTR's to Canada for 10 years for "cheap"). There will always be exceptions to the rule, but that is unpredictable.

5 things- rare option code, manual transmission, low miles, originality (no irreversible mods), not winter driven = the recipe for potential collectibility. Or not.

darcy
Old 08-28-2017, 03:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

25-30 years from now it won't matter. People will be using autonomous vehicles, the collector generation will be mostly deceased, new generation can care less about cars. Then the insurance companies will charge you a fortune for the right to actually "drive" you car.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by David1
25-30 years from now it won't matter. People will be using autonomous vehicles, the collector generation will be mostly deceased, new generation can care less about cars. Then the insurance companies will charge you a fortune for the right to actually "drive" you car.
ok, time traveler....I guess there is no reason to keep my viper then, time to fire sale it.

i think you guys underestimate the length of time cars spend in service in developing countries. They won't have autonomous cars as a majority for a long, long time.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
My thought is interesting options- that most of the general public do not want, and only the real gear heads order- and there are not many of us- tend to command a premium down the road once they reach collectible status. Proportionally, there is a very small % of the overall production run with this option. Think about the rare option codes for corvettes and mustangs and camaros and Grand nationals/GNX's. Think about more modern collectibles like the integra- the TypeR option which commands a premium over the GS-R.

When will a modern car become collectible- its going to be at least 25-30 years down the road so you gotta keep the car for a very long time, and not drive it much. Think final gen supra turbo- its now a valuable collectible after nearly 25 yrs. The Nissan GTR (now 25 yrs old) is commanding higher prices than it did 15 yrs ago (we've been importing GTR's to Canada for 10 years for "cheap"). There will always be exceptions to the rule, but that is unpredictable.

5 things- rare option code, manual transmission, low miles, originality (no irreversible mods), not winter driven = the recipe for potential collectibility. Or not.

darcy
I hear ya, and I generally agree, but all the models you mentioned usually came with the top of the line motor and were the king of the hill. The zl1 1le I can see, but the 1ss 1le I doubt. Like corvettes had z51, fe5, etc packages and while they made them a bit more collectible, it didn't make them as collectible as getting the big blocks for instance.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Porsche maintains parts availability for all their sports cars, and will, best I can tell, for as long as the company exists.

I believe Mercedes Benz does this as well. I'd expect more high end brands to start doing this in the near future as well (if they aren't already).
Old 08-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Porsche maintains parts availability for all their sports cars, and will, best I can tell, for as long as the company exists.

I believe Mercedes Benz does this as well. I'd expect more high end brands to start doing this in the near future as well (if they aren't already).
You would think some of the big Detroit guys would do this too... Nope. C5 Corvettes are already being hit by this. Try and buy a ECBM (traction control/ABS module) or Steering wheel postion sensor for a 97-00 C5. Can't get them. Have to source used at $1500! The sucky part is there is no incentive from GM to even allow 3rd party vendors to produce the parts, as they own the patents and blueprints.

Bottom line is the owners suffer. I can't imagine what the current Vetts will be like 20 years from now.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_viper
The sucky part is there is no incentive from GM to even allow 3rd party vendors to produce the parts, as they own the patents and blueprints.
Why don't they license the patent rights to 3rd parties? Free money.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by David1
A contact of mine within the oem who built our cars said that the drive and driving enjoyment will still be a critical component of their future autonomous cars- right from the president of the company's mouth. They will be autonomous by 2030 apparently but that will be for boring driving times.

Collector cars will always be so- how many cars from the 50's, 60's, 70's+ are still plying our roads today? lots. They ain't going anywhere. Us enthusiasts have nothing to worry about. I am instilling in my kids a passion for cars and driving a manual transmission- likely the GTX will be Carter's DD in 2 years (he's 14 now).

darcy
​​​​​​​
Old 08-29-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
Collector cars will always be so- how many cars from the 50's, 60's, 70's+ are still plying our roads today? lots. They ain't going anywhere. Us enthusiasts have nothing to worry about. I am instilling in my kids a passion for cars and driving a manual transmission- likely the GTX will be Carter's DD in 2 years (he's 14 now).

darcy
What is a GTX?
Old 08-29-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Plymouth GTX. My dad had one way back in the day (early 1970s).

There are multiple models - this is the type he had.

Quick Reply: Problem with Modern Cars Becoming Collectible