Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Purchase recommendations

Old 09-12-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase recommendations

Need some advice.

I don't post often, so "hi!". A few months ago I traded my '04 S2000 for a 4Runner since my wife and I were buying our first house. She kept her SC430 and I got the 4Runner LTD. (I hate driving the 4Runner!) Well, thank goodness we do ok financially cuz when it comes to cars, we plan like a$$. She's ready to take the 4Runner and I get to buy "whatever I want". (yes, she's an excellent wife, for a multitude of reasons. She says "you're the one crazy for cars, so go for it.) Plus her car gets driven 100 miles every day and it costs a good bit to keep it up to par.

ANYWAYS, I think my price limit is about 70K. Here's some criteria and I'm looking for specific feedback if you've actually owned some of the cars listed below or at least driven them a good bit.

My driving style: Spirted. I do not currently auto-x. Have always been a little leary of doing this with my daily driver. I doubt I will auto-x this car, but never say never.

My style: I like stand out cars. When I see an NSX, which is fairly rare out here in Phila., I get goosebumps. I realize 350Z's, S2000's, and M3's don't really meet that criteria, but at least in terms of the Z and the S, these cars more than make up for it in value, as specially the S2000.

Climate: I live in the NE. This car will be driven year round permitting snow is not in the forecast. (If so, wife and I will drive together in the 4Runner.)

Traffic: I sit in traffic a good bit. Not LA bad traffic. My commute is about 35 minutes right now. I'm a contractor, so my commute could end up being as long as 45-60 minutes. Some highway. Mostly not though.

Car types interest in: 993 and 996 Carrerra 2 and 4s. IS 350. E46M3. Nissan 350Z. Another S2000. NSX.

Not interested in: ridiculously frequent maintenance or cars older than 10 years.

I'm a little clueless in the Porsche market. I don't know about their reliability. I imagine they're about average and a little expensive to upkeep, but I do love their looks and would be curious to know what anyone in here who drives/drove one frequently thought of driving a Carerra 4 on a daily basis thinks about this purchase.

This car has to stay with me for about 4 years. This is important. I don't want to regret this and lose a ton money on trading this car prematurely because it 'beat me up' or I go tired of it for some other reason.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for questions aimed back at me.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 AM

let it also be said that I'm not the kind of guy that "has to" spend the limit. I wanted a car that really makes me happy. the S2000 did that for me, albeit on some days stuck in a traffic jam I wished I'd bought an automatic. But 99% of time that car really made me happy. For this reason I continue to consider the S and cars in it's class. Feel free to suggest a car I didn't list. I'm an avid car person who likes all shapes and models. Hell I was even considering a new GS.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:13 AM

Get an 03-04 911 C4 maybe even C4s, you can drive this year round and the 911 is pretty reliable car, all you will really need is a good tune up at the recommended time. i know people who have almost 200k miles on their cars and still drive them..also you can put 16 inch wheels on with some blizzaks in the winter and have no problems driving in bad weather..this is what I would get
Old 09-12-2005, 08:43 AM

Sorry, wait for and snag the new Z06. Best ~70k sports car on the market, and Chevy has always tried to make the vette, even the Z06, commuter friendly.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:52 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was also gonna say the 911 C4S as well. I drove one it's not overly powerful but it's not slow. It looks somewhat exotic (more than a 350Z or S2000). It's got awd so you won't have a problem driving it year round etc..

A very nice 911 C4S say 2-3 years old. I don't know the resale off the top but they were once $80k-90k cars. Could also get a slightly older 911 turbo.

Or for the same $60-70K you could get a a nice daily driver like a TSX with money left over for a C5 Z06 or Elise or S2000 (etc..)

Beauty of 2 cheaper cars is you can drive either depending on where you are going and how the weather is etc... And you don't have to buy both at the same time.

Bad thing about 2 cars is you have 2x the oil changes, tires etc.. and you have a Sh-load of cars around the house.

Another problem with 2 cars is the wife will say you're getting 2 cars so she'll want something extra. Even tho 2 cars for $70K is the same as 1 car for $70K you can't reason like that with women.

My vote: TSX + C5 Z06 = $60K
Old 09-12-2005, 09:04 AM

All of my suggestions are merely vehicles which I think you should add to your consideration list. That does not mean I think they are the best choice. I'm not you so I can't decide what is best for you. All I can do is mention cars I think you should at least consider.

I would look at (not saying it's the best choice, just one to look at) a non-Z06 C6 Vette. Especially the gray interior. The black interior looks a little cheep to me. The gray interior looks great. The car is very comfortable and even the more plebian Vette have 'sufficient' power. I have spend a few hours behind the wheel of a Z51 C6. The steering could use more feel (I think the same about the S2000) but beyond that it's a wonderful car. Looks great, really moves, has great power and is very comfortable.

If you are considering a BMW I would look at the lightweight sport version of the 330. Not just the sport suspension model but the one that's actually lost weight. I've heard that its in many ways a more satisfying driver's car than the M3.

Even though it's low on your price scale, I would look at a Mustang GT drop top. It probably is too cheep of the interior for you but I think they look nice and are reported to be quite quick.

Any of the P-cars would be good. I might go Boxster over a 911 but I've been informed both are nice.

Jag XK8s look great if on the heavy GT side of things.

Finally, if possible I would really consider the option of buying two cars. Think about an S2000 and a used "beater" sedan. Something like a Lincoln LS or SAAB 95 can be had cheep on the used car market. Both are "almost" as good as their piers but much lost value much faster hence a great used car buy.

Best of luck!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:21 AM

I'm not going to start a flame war but here's the deal on C5 Vette's. I don't like 'em. I've seen these cars with 30K miles and their interiors look beat. I've NEVER driven one. But there's something about vette's and the way that the 80's-90's vettes don't age well, looks-wise or value-wise to me. I will admit that the new Z06 is a real head turner but I don't think this car is for me.

Also, this is a 1 car purchase deal. Like the one guy who said, it's twice the maintenance, another car to keep clean, another car to insure, another car period. Don't want another car as long as I'm working 50 hours a week and I have a new (but old) house that I have to work on too.

I'm really liking the idea of a C4 or C4S. For a low mileage, 2-5 years old, can someone give me a ballpark on what I should pay for one of these? I saw one for sale at a dealer. 2000 C4 Limited Production, 22K miles, pristine. They were asking 50K. Seemed high to me. But it had the in dash DVD nav and full leather interior (dash). Looked very nice.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:28 AM

I'm biased, but I'd give a vote to the 2006 BMW 330i with Sport Package. If you're considering the IS350, then you should look at the 330i as well, especially if you like spirited driving. I don't know if it meets your "stand out" category though. Although right now, E90's are still not everywhere, and people always compliment me on my car.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Like to add for you to look at the NSX it's stunning and for $60k you can get a near mint example.

The one time I drove a NSX it was in bad shape (tires worn to the steel belts) so I can't say how it drove but for me it lacked headroom. Never driven a newer NSX or one with a targa.

But IMO you could do worse than having to decide between a NSX or a 911
Old 09-12-2005, 09:57 AM

Did the NSX come with a Nav system in any of the recent years?

Quick Reply: Purchase recommendations