Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Purchasing a DD (Infiniti Q50)

Old 08-16-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
its an outstanding car with a bullet proof engine / tranny.

whenever someone asks me for a good daily sedan with some power/ reliability, I always say infintiy - the value per $$ is outstanding, especially if you pick a nice variant like yours.
I couldn't agree more. The fact that Infiniti leased over 28,000 of these in 2014 drove the used prices way down. Unfortunately I wasn't interested in the 2014 models, so I paid a little extra for a 2015. My only complaints so far are (nit-picking here):
1) It has a 2014 map programmed in the navigation. Looked up the map updates and the 2017 version is over $100. Sigh
2) It doesn't have Android Auto capability, I would like to use Waze as my navigation device (although you can install this capability yourself).
3) The TCU needs to be replaced (~$130 and has to be taking to a dealer) as AT&T switched from their 2G network to their 3G. Don't ask me why Infiniti chose to put a 2G communication device in the car when they knew it was going to obsolete a few years later.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I don't know why Infiniti gets so much flack, I find their cars to be relatively well made, designed nicely, and packs a lot of performance for the dollar. For the price oftentimes for its entry level competition you get an engine that's closer to the higher end. A lot of people find the vq rough but I'm with you, tried and true and imo has good character and has a much better sound than the BMW i6. Enjoy your new ride!
I liked Infiniti, but for me the new models with steering by wire were numb driving experiences. The exhaust always sounded bad too, but that wouldn't have kept me out of one. If you want a Japanese luxury car, you pretty much have Infiniti and Lexus if you want the rwd dynamic. The nice thing about Nissan/Infiniti though is you don't get the inflated resale value of Toyota/Lexus.

I had a Pathfinder LE with the VQ and it was a great engine - granted it was in a body-on-frame truck, but it was nice.

Congrats on the new car OP!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Wojofoo
I couldn't agree more. The fact that Infiniti leased over 28,000 of these in 2014 drove the used prices way down. Unfortunately I wasn't interested in the 2014 models, so I paid a little extra for a 2015. My only complaints so far are (nit-picking here):
1) It has a 2014 map programmed in the navigation. Looked up the map updates and the 2017 version is over $100. Sigh
2) It doesn't have Android Auto capability, I would like to use Waze as my navigation device (although you can install this capability yourself).
3) The TCU needs to be replaced (~$130 and has to be taking to a dealer) as AT&T switched from their 2G network to their 3G. Don't ask me why Infiniti chose to put a 2G communication device in the car when they knew it was going to obsolete a few years later.
Because they got a better price from the carrier for using the older cell towers (because they were least used). I had to do the same in my DD Nissan (Leaf). I paid a little over $100 for the upgrade and now I have remote climate control again to cool the car in the summer heat. Great function if going to multiple grocery stores to keep food cold(er).
Old 08-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I paid a little over $100 for the upgrade and now I have remote climate control again to cool the car in the summer heat. Great function if going to multiple grocery stores to keep food cold(er).
That's a very neat feature! One of the perks of having a big on-board battery.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I liked Infiniti, but for me the new models with steering by wire were numb driving experiences. The exhaust always sounded bad too, but that wouldn't have kept me out of one. If you want a Japanese luxury car, you pretty much have Infiniti and Lexus if you want the rwd dynamic. The nice thing about Nissan/Infiniti though is you don't get the inflated resale value of Toyota/Lexus.

I had a Pathfinder LE with the VQ and it was a great engine - granted it was in a body-on-frame truck, but it was nice.

Agreed, but when you compare it to a numb Lexus it feels as sporty of not sportier, and the value proposition over a BMW is compelling enough to forgive it's less than connected feeling. I feel that when I drive these cars they feel like a tank that was taught to be agile. And I know people knock the "artificial" exhaust but I like it a lot, much more than any recent bmw. Bmws do not sound good from the outside. The e46 was not a good sounding car. Smooth and fun from the drivers seat yes, standing outside as it passes by, no.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT

I agree, I drove both versions. Very fortunate I found a 2015 Q50S with the full load out minus the technology package to avoid that drive-by-wire nonsense.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wojofoo
Infiniti has made a few head scratchier decisions. My 08 EX35 has a CF slot for audio, WTF is there a CF slot in an 08 vehicle......
Old 08-25-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice choice. My mom's currently driving a Malbec hybrid Q50S, unfortunately it's a 2014 and has been at the dealer a lot due to the iTouch system. The car drive great and I really like it, but I think we'll be getting her an IS350 in the spring.

I just picked up a 2012 G37xS as my Boston DD to replace my FRS.