Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is racing/auto racing a sport?

Old 08-26-2002, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is racing/auto racing a sport?

I was just wondering if you consider racing or professional Auto racing (nascar, Indy, F1) a sport, a hobby, a skill, or other? Whatever you answer, justify your answer, this question still is a mystery to me because there are so many points/counterpoints (Machine does most of the work, etc. etc.)
Old 08-26-2002, 11:29 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Driving is a skill, racing is a sport, participating in racing is a hobby.

The actual driving part is the skill because you are doing it. The car is merely a tool (like a basketball) - it does what you make it do.

Racing (the big picture) is a sport because it requires athletic ability (albeit not necessarily the same as running or weightlifting, say, but it still requires athletic ability). And yes, I know it's very tiring and exhausting - I've done it - so please, no flames about how physically hard it is to race.

Participating in racing is a hobby. You are either participating or you are not - it's a decision, not an actual physical action. What you do while participating (ie, driving) is what is the actual skill while the racing itself is the sport.

I guess racing itself could be considered a hobby as well as a sport, but I think the other two are clearly defined as a skill (driving) and a hobby/business (participating in racing).
Old 08-26-2002, 12:43 PM
Banned

to me, no. if the work required mostly comes from your body, then yes - like in the Olympics
Old 08-26-2002, 12:55 PM

It takes a person with great physical ability to race professionally. Great hand-eye-foot coordination. To be able to handle the G-forces for the length of a race in 100+ degree conditions or in a down pour. Drivers now go into training for their sports so they can handle their season. I would have to include it as a sport.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:14 PM

No question. Yes.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:23 PM

Yes, of course! You're always pushing the edge, competing to beat the other competitors. It requires hand eye coordination, stamina, strength and skill. Heck you even need special shoes and uniforms!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 01:25 PM

Dario nailed it...I absolutely think it is a sport.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

"Racing is life. Anything that happens before, or after... is just waiting."
-Steve McQueen, Le Mans

And yes, I consider racing to be a full on sport. (Didn't McQueen also call it a blood sport in the movie?)
Old 08-26-2002, 01:53 PM

Just do one track day and all of your questions will be answered.
I can run more than a few seven minute miles and I am pretty
beat after a track day. It's not just physical exhaustion but
mental as well. The concentration required to lap a road course
quickly is unwavering.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:55 PM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally posted by DR. JEKYLL
to me, no. if the work required mostly comes from your body, then yes - like in the Olympics
Obviously coming from someone who has never driven a car at any rate of speed greater than 65.

Ever watch Markus Gronholm run a rally? The man never blinks. The reaction time and precise hand/eye coordination required to be a WRC driver is incredible - probably well beyond that of a MLB hitter. Ever watch someone run a 500 mile 4+ hour NASCAR race in 110 degree weather? Baseball is considered a sport and they rarely break a sweat - the NASCAR guys are losing 5-10 lbs from water loss and it's not a physical activity? Go read s2kmtl's post about driving the F1 car - no skill required in doing that, apparently.

If anyone seriously believes auto racing, even at the lower levels, is not a sport, they need their head examined.

Quick Reply: Is racing/auto racing a sport?