Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rant on- why AWD and not use it?

Old 12-12-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
Maybe they don't have the right tires
This is certainly part of the problem. I can drive circles around most AWD/4WD vehicles with my Civic here when it snows. I have 4 good snow tires to their 1/2 worn all seasons.

The other issue with 4WD is that the roads have to be covered with snow to use it. If you are in and out of snow covered vs black top, you don't want to be running in 4WD. AWD and snow tires is the way to go.

Last edited by Conedodger; 12-12-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Correct. Incorrect.
Too often, the vehicles I see in ditches on the return drive from the ski slopes are 4x4s. The drivers mistake their linear traction prowess for overall handling ability. Neither braking nor cornering ability is enhanced by fwd as well as forward motion. A jacked up 4x4 does not handle well in the twisties. That's why they are seldom allowed on an autocross course.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:15 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by ES2K
Too often, the vehicles I see in ditches on the return drive from the ski slopes are 4x4s. The drivers mistake their linear traction prowess for overall handling ability. Neither braking nor cornering ability is enhanced by fwd as well as forward motion. A jacked up 4x4 does not handle well in the twisties. That's why they are seldom allowed on an autocross course.
That does not mean 4x4s or awd cars do not corner better. In conditions where traction is limited, the AWD vehicle will achieve better grip in a corner than without.

If you doubt this, find a snowy road with some curves and then take a RWD pickup as fast as you feel comfortable and then a $WD pickup of the same model and see which one sticks to the road better. Then a FWD Golf, followed by a AWD Golf R, then a rwd sedan like a 340i followed by a 340i Xdrive.

The people end up in the ditch because they drive like morons, not because the AWD variant does not corner better on snow. It does have better traction in the corners, but there are always limits.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

OP referred to a Ford pickup truck, not an Audi rally car. Evaluate vehicles on an iced over, plowed public road (no studded tires) and see what happens.

Last edited by ES2K; 12-12-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Sometimes driving slower is going faster...
The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
berlinablackie (12-12-2016), TsukubaCody (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
THIS! is so true....
Old 12-12-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by ES2K
OP referred to a Ford pickup truck, not an Audi rally car. Evaluate vehicles on an iced over, plowed public road (no studded tires) and see what happens.
No kidding. You missed the point entirely. I am not comparing one model of vehicle to another, I am comparing apples to apples not Subaru's to Ford's.

I will give you a hint, you are in San Jose California, I have driven several dozen cars for 30 plus years in Minnesota winters. Trust me on this one. AWD = better getting moving and cornering on snow and icy conditions. But again, there are limits.

And I don't like pickup much as an AWD vehicle simply because they need some added weight in the back for better balance. The one 4wd pickup I owned was still skittish in snow because all the weight was in the front. That's is why people up here don't clean out the pickup beds when they get full of snow, or they carry several 75 pound bags of sand from Menards in the bed.

A 4wd/AWD vehicle can still be a bit squirrely in the snow if the weight is off, but it will still handle traction better than the same vehicle in 2wd configuration. The point is, yes, AWD does corner better in bad conditions versus the same vehicle without it, (when under power). If you are just coasting, there is no advantage.

Last edited by vader1; 12-12-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd take snow tires over AWD if I had a choice. One winter I got stuck in the snow in our Range Rover as it had 22" wheels with "street" kind of tires. Sold those wheels real quick and went back to 19" with all season Michelin Latitude's ($$$).
Old 12-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I read the OP as why don't people with AWD/4WD not turn the little switch on the dash to 4WD when it's available. I see it all the time here, idiots in trucks with 4WD who drive in 2WD just so they can prove they're morons and spin the rear wheels only.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
never thought about that. so right.

all great and valid points brought up. Like I said, I just didn't get it at the time...and I've lived in this stuff all my life. I remember driving the big ol' RWD station wagon- with open diff- in winter and not running into issues- there was really no such thing as AWD available except on trucks back then. drive prudently and its all good.
thanks all- I appreciate the discussion!

darcy

Quick Reply: Rant on- why AWD and not use it?