Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rant on- why AWD and not use it?

Old 12-12-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
never thought about that. so right.

all great and valid points brought up. Like I said, I just didn't get it at the time...and I've lived in this stuff all my life. I remember driving the big ol' RWD station wagon- with open diff- in winter and not running into issues- there was really no such thing as AWD available except on trucks back then. drive prudently and its all good.
thanks all- I appreciate the discussion!

darcy
People drive like that here too. Bugs me, but I just try to tell myself I am an impatient sort and can't let it drive me nuts. It still does, but I am working on it. Left turn lane, light turns green arrow, and after about five seconds and the person in the front of the turn lane is texting and not moving this can be heard in my car, "F-ing GO!!! MORON!!!!!! There is a LINE OF PEOPLE BEHIND YOU WITH LIVES TO LEAD!!!!!!!!! C'MON JACKASS!!!" Then about a mile later it happens again. And again. And again.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
they looked like knobby off roader type tires.

because rant.

darcy
​​​​​​​Off road tires are horrible in snow.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

In snow? I've found them to be excellent in snow - good floatation, self-cleaning, etc. My Silverado is awesome in the snow with normal off-road tires (I run 285/75-17s on mine).

On ice? Horrible, horrible, horrible. Virtually no siping, massive tread blocks, not enough surface area, not enough gripping edges, etc, etc. They're like glass. I run dedicated winters (with studs) on my truck and they're a 1000% better on typical winter roads in Alberta than my off-road tires are. They're just not nearly as good off-road when I'm hunting - they sink in (they're much narrower), they don't clean nearly as well, etc.

Problem is, most roads are icy underneath. Snow on top isn't the problem at all for most areas. Snow has quite a bit of traction. I spent quite a bit of my life on the east coast of Canada and there, the roads were snowy and heavily drifted. In Alberta, where I am now, the roads are icy and you want a much different tire to really have traction. Michelin X-Ice are way better in Alberta than in Newfoundland, for instance, as are studded tires of any sort. However, in Newfoundland, wider tires with a more open tread tended to do better - you don't need all the siping to get traction there. You just want the tire to clean itself when you're driving it, so you can tear through and throw away snow.