Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ready to pull the trigger on a stock Evo IX MR

Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to pull the trigger on a stock Evo IX MR

I've been looking for a nice Evo IX for a while now. Missed one by a few hours recently. (it was sold the morning that I made my decision to buy it)

Out of the blue, I get contacted by a guy who I met once a while back, saying that he wants to sell his Evo and I had commented how nice it was back then. Dark gray, MR with appearance package (the extremely rare "Evo 9.5"), bone stock, never been modified, 17K miles.

He wants a pretty penny for it, and honestly, it's worth it.

I'm ready to pull the trigger, but there are a couple of things holding me up:

1. I already have an Evo X. Meaning, I already have an Evo, albeit a different generation, and I already have a turbo AWD car with 4 doors.

2. I could buy a pretty nice 2005+ 987 Boxster S that has a top that goes down for pretty close to the same price, and that Boxster would be a nice compliment to my Evo. (completely different kind of car, that is)

The biggest advantages to buying the Evo IX is that it's just a ton of fun (weighs the same as my old E36 M3 (yes, really), much more power, AWD, and oh that steering feel), and that it will pretty much holds its value when I get tired of it. (The Evo IX was only made for 1 year, 2006, and they have an extremely high residual value if not modified or otherwise abused.)

Just had to come to my "support board" for this one...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It sounds like you like the EVO IX MR more than your Evo X. And based on everything I've read, automotive journalists agree. I can't personally say, because I've yet to drive a Evo X (hmmm something to do Saturday).

It appears you're trying to convince yourself this isn't a 'downgrade' to go from a X to IX MR. I would make the switch to the IX MR. Its not a downgrade.

As for the Boxster you mentioned, you can get 1998-2002 911 Cabrios for the same price too...better Porsche.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Nope, I like both the Evo X and the IX. If I had to choose one, I'd take my X.

I'm just looking for another toy car to have fun with for a while. I'm not getting rid of my X MR.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Oh, and I don't want a 996, especially a cab. I like the 98x platform better.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:59 PM

do it.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 PM

if leaving stock/stockish I prefer the Xmr and maybe getting something on the cheap for the topdown thrills, used high mileage S2K

Good luck!!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you planning to track the car? If so, I'd look for a base IX rather than the MR. The MR's 6 speed is not as strong as the 5 speed in the base IX.

I previously owned a IX MR, and concerns over the transmission kept me from tracking it as much as I would have liked.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1. Tracking it is the real concern. If you don't plan on doing that the 6 speed is much smoother, etc. The 5 speed is very durable, but not all the fun to shift.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure which Evo I would track.

I'm really starting to love the Evo X MR on the track. Sure, it's heavy, but you don't really feel the weight, and my gosh is it fun. Lots of power, AWD, AYC (oversteer at will!), and the incredible transmission all contribute to a riotous time.

I've definitely read all about the 6-speed VIII/IX MR transmissions being weak at high power or in track conditions, mainly because of the amount of time spent in the thin 4th gear.

OTOH, the IX is 300 lbs lighter than the X, and it's still fun to row a manual on track as well.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Here's my feelings on this. I had a similiar situation. I owned both an S60R and an Evo 8. If you know about the S60R, it had many of the same features as the Evo but was much more refined. At first. It was cool. My DD had the features of my weekend car in a diluted form and when I wanted to cut loose and get crazy, I had the Evo 8 to drive. But ultimately, I got tired of having money locked up in to two cars that were mechanically the same. (300 HP, manual tranny, turbo AWD, Brembo brakes, Race suspension, etc.) and sold the Evo.

Do what you want but I predict within 6 months, you'll get rid of one of your cars... Whichever that may be.

Quick Reply: Ready to pull the trigger on a stock Evo IX MR