Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Recent test drives, GOlf R, S3, M240i, Model 3 (Tesla)

Old 06-25-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Why buy a M240i? M2 is barely more after you option a M240i to similar specs and the M2 next year will have the S55 which can make 500 whp with just a tune.
The following users liked this post:
fusionchickenleg (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Just remember, by April it'll be $55k easy once the Trump tariff kicks in.
Won't happen. Just a negotiating tactic.

Last edited by vader1; 06-25-2018 at 08:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vader1:
Chibo (06-25-2018), JonBoy (06-25-2018), mosesbotbol (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Why buy a M240i? M2 is barely more after you option a M240i to similar specs and the M2 next year will have the S55 which can make 500 whp with just a tune.
Mainly just the difference in suspension/comfort for a car that will be my daily. Plus, as far as quickness goes, the M2 jumps out but is reeled in eventually. The M2 sounds better, but I can address that if I want to. I like the M2 better, just not $8k better. But maybe. My purchase time is next year and I will certainly be thinking about it between now and then.

Last edited by vader1; 06-25-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

I wouldn't buy the Model 3 (high cost) but I do love my EV for DD use (work/gym) and boring mundane drives to the grocery store, etc. I'm just not needing the thrill or the high cost of something "nice" for this type of driving as it sucks no matter what I'm piloting. It's 35 mph all the way to my local Home Depot for example. Having a low cost beater/DD is nice and my work now has L2 charging, 9 spots, so M-F, I just charge it at work on their dime. Engineering Explained channel on You-Boob, just took delivery of a 2018 Leaf and will be documenting the DD use of it for EV newbs, I don't even use gasoline M-F and I've got 4 vehicles that are ICE. Freed up 4 figures in petrol cost annually. I've loaded mine down with 22-25 bags of mulch each year I've had it, serviced my lawn equipment by shoving it in the hatch. Almost hard to admit but the best DD I've ever run. Just wish mine had the range of the new one. A $500 L2 charger installed in my garage ended all range anxiety.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Mainly just the difference in suspension/comfort for a car that will be my daily. Plus, as far as quickness goes, the M2 jumps out but is reeled in eventually.
I think you are referring to the non-competition M2 with the juiced up N55 engine; Cosmos was referring to the upcoming M2 Competition which now has the S55 engine (albeit slightly detuned) from the F80/F82 M3/M4. That engine is super robust, but while I personally always liked the exhaust note some find it lacking enough to be a turn off. I think the only downside to the M2 Comp is the weight gain, IIRC it gains almost 200 lbs. But the shorter wheel base should still make it a fun time vs. the longer M3/M4 cars

With that said, the M240i is a great car as well. That B58 engine feels very stout in stock form and is responding to the JB4 at the light bolt-on levels similar to how the N54 used to, i.e. ridiculous gains with easily reversible mods. Can't go wrong with either car IMO.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I wouldn't buy the Model 3 (high cost) but I do love my EV for DD use (work/gym) and boring mundane drives to the grocery store, etc. I'm just not needing the thrill or the high cost of something "nice" for this type of driving as it sucks no matter what I'm piloting. It's 35 mph all the way to my local Home Depot for example. Having a low cost beater/DD is nice and my work now has L2 charging, 9 spots, so M-F, I just charge it at work on their dime. Engineering Explained channel on You-Boob, just took delivery of a 2018 Leaf and will be documenting the DD use of it for EV newbs, I don't even use gasoline M-F and I've got 4 vehicles that are ICE. Freed up 4 figures in petrol cost annually. I've loaded mine down with 22-25 bags of mulch each year I've had it, serviced my lawn equipment by shoving it in the hatch. Almost hard to admit but the best DD I've ever run. Just wish mine had the range of the new one. A $500 L2 charger installed in my garage ended all range anxiety.
Add in the cost of electricity when you do charge at home and let's see those numbers. Yes, I do realize the L2 is a one time hit.

Sorry OP.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Add in the cost of electricity when you do charge at home and let's see those numbers. Yes, I do realize the L2 is a one time hit.

Sorry OP.
I’ve got panels on the roof that provide my power so I’m double dipping. All depends upon what you pay for kWh. If I were paying straight local kWh it’d be a dollar and some change to fill mine up. kWh full charge is always going to be less expensive than gasoline here.

No need to get defensive either way.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The GT350 feels big on the road, especially smaller windy country roads. The engine sound is the best of any V8 on the market right now. Interior materials (dash especially) are just average. Has great tech and nice seats. That car is almost too powerful for just driving around town. It can be docile, but the urge to go crazy is just too high! Winding through the gears, stomping the gas and brake are just fantastic on that car. Truly impressive for the money. I wish they'd expand that drive train into other models. They have all the ingredients for the best sports cars for the money; now just need to design something other than Mustang to put it into...
Totally. The best part is that engune, but redlining it in second already puts me illegal speeds. That's about the only thing I miss with the frs is that it was so easy to drive thst driving it around town was fun... until you hit the gas. I watched a bunch of reviews on the m2 now and the guy on every day driver said something that caught my attention: it drives like an frs but with alot more everything.

I am skeptical though, it does have like 600lbs on the frs.

That new m2 competition though is long friggin sweet, and option for option its cheaper than the m240i without even factoring in the body differences.

Another bucket list thing of mine is to do a european delivery, problem is though the isn't a euro car that I want that I can afford. The m2 is feasible...
Old 06-26-2018, 04:10 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Totally. The best part is that engune, but redlining it in second already puts me illegal speeds.
The other factor is the attention the GT350 commands. Between the looks (which can be toned down a little with subtle color) and sound; there is no blending into the background. M2 won't be as noticed driving around & parked.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
I think you are referring to the non-competition M2 with the juiced up N55 engine; Cosmos was referring to the upcoming M2 Competition which now has the S55 engine (albeit slightly detuned) from the F80/F82 M3/M4. That engine is super robust, but while I personally always liked the exhaust note some find it lacking enough to be a turn off. I think the only downside to the M2 Comp is the weight gain, IIRC it gains almost 200 lbs. But the shorter wheel base should still make it a fun time vs. the longer M3/M4 cars

With that said, the M240i is a great car as well. That B58 engine feels very stout in stock form and is responding to the JB4 at the light bolt-on levels similar to how the N54 used to, i.e. ridiculous gains with easily reversible mods. Can't go wrong with either car IMO.
Ahhhh. I was not thinking of the competition, must have missed that. It will just be too spendy. I am fortunate in that my wife does fairly well (read way better than me) and we split expenses we each keep our remaining income separate (my suggestion) and then we can buy whatever we want without any veto from the other. It works really well because we don't have kids and if I want a mototrcycle, boom. Motorcycle.

But while I spend a bunch of my money on cars. Scratch that, all of my money on cars, I don't make so much that I can keep pulling the trigger on expensive stuff. The Cayman was an keep-forever-favorite-car purchase. The next one has to be a little more reasonable. While I would LOVE to get an M2 competition, I can't justify the cost. My dealer that I spoke to last week mentioned it. He does not know how limited the model will be (he thought it would be a limited model) and he did not know if his dealership (a smaller one) would even get a single allocation if it was a small production run.

Quick Reply: Recent test drives, GOlf R, S3, M240i, Model 3 (Tesla)