Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Recent test drives, GOlf R, S3, M240i, Model 3 (Tesla)

Old 06-23-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Recent test drives, Golf R, S3, M240i, Model 3 (Tesla)

So I went to look at cars. Getting the itch which I always seem to get long before I have money for it. They should make an ointment for that. Anywho...drove a Golf R manual a few weeks ago and it was nice in just about everything except power delivery, and steering feel. "I thought this thing was supposed to be fast?" is how I walked away from it. So I made an appointment at the small rural dealer that sold my bimmer to go test drive a DSG (I was told it is much better than the manual R) and came away with the same feeling. I like the car, there is nothing really wrong with it, but it "feels" slow just because of the power delivery and the way the transmission shifts. Step on it and wait seems to be the name of the game, at least without a tune.

The dealer also sells Audi, so they said try the S3. Same powertrain I thought and I never liked the interior in pictures. They pull one up, interior not great but much better in person especially with the sport seats. Take it for a spin and 100% better than the R. Steering felt better, engine and transmission felt way more responsive from the drivers seat, great suspension. I don't want to buy one, but I liked that car a lot. Don't know why it felt so different from basically the same car in different clothes but it did. And surprisingly so.

Drive the M240i, manual. Loved it. Probably gonna order one next spring. Bid the sales guy farewell and tell him I will be in touch in April if I stay in this state of mind (still need to drive 2019 Miata before deciding) but am 80% sure I will get a 240i manual.

So my brother comes over with his model 3 for lunch today and I take it for a spin. Surprisingly good chassis. Handles pretty well. Brakes poorly. Interior is bare but decent, I hate the whole one-screen for everything decision but the interior is nice. Quiet car, comfortable but sporty suspension. Did multiple pulls from 0 and at speed. If you have not driven one, you will be amazed. Hit the gas at pretty much any speed, 30,40,50,60 and you are shoved back in the seat instantly and fairly hard. It was very impressive and fun.

Even as impressed as I was with it, it was still an auto, and kind of a one trick pony even though it is a nice car. Drove the Cayman up to the store to get some diet coke 30 minutes later. Shifted gears, wound it out, opened up to muffler flaps to let it roar. No contest. Really no contest. I would not put down a Model 3 to anyone that wants one, or any electric for that matter. But something about sound and fury and clutch pedals and manual shifters. There is no substitute. For all the people who complain about "analog" cars versus "digital", this is digital times 100. The punch from the electric powertrain is giggle inducing, but really lacks any personality, mostly I guess no sound, no fury, makes you feel even more distant and less connected.

As neat as the model 3 goes, it made me more certain that the M240i is probably the car for me. I guess I will just pollute more because I would really miss what an ICE engine does, even if it is much slower. Old fashioned I guess, but glad there is still a choice out there. 20 years from now, I think I'll be screwed.

Last edited by vader1; 06-23-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

The one car I didnt cross shop before my last purchase was the m2/240/whatever they're calling it. I only hear nothing but great things but around here they charge 210/hr at the dealer for work, which trickles down to independent shops. So it better be Porsche sublime since they're charging Porsche labor.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
The one car I didnt cross shop before my last purchase was the m2/240/whatever they're calling it. I only hear nothing but great things but around here they charge 210/hr at the dealer for work, which trickles down to independent shops. So it better be Porsche sublime since they're charging Porsche labor.
I don't think it is a Cayman, but it is a pretty good car. I price out the M240i at $48k and the dealer told me he could do $44k for what I want with the European delivery discount. At that price it is a pretty solid buy. It is not that practical as a 2 door coupe but I don't want practical.

FWIW, I am about to hit 40,000 miles (which is not a whole lot) but I have not had a single problem with my 328i so far. No squeaks, no rattles, nothing. And you get 3 years free maintenance.

So there are cheaper options like Mustang or Camaro, I just like the bimmer better, mostly for build quality. But it you can do much worse for the price these days I guess.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you driven the new 5.0 Mustang? I have a feeling you won't like how big the car is, but the noise and the endless torque are a hilariously good time.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I don't think it is a Cayman, but it is a pretty good car. I price out the M240i at $48k and the dealer told me he could do $44k for what I want with the European delivery discount. At that price it is a pretty solid buy. It is not that practical as a 2 door coupe but I don't want practical.

FWIW, I am about to hit 40,000 miles (which is not a whole lot) but I have not had a single problem with my 328i so far. No squeaks, no rattles, nothing. And you get 3 years free maintenance.

So there are cheaper options like Mustang or Camaro, I just like the bimmer better, mostly for build quality. But it you can do much worse for the price these days I guess.
I love my gt350, the noise. My only complaint, well a few, I just prefer small cars. The stang isn't big, but it is pretty much the size of a mid size sedan these days. And the interior had the usual rattles and what not, which doesn't bother me as much as I'd expect. And I want a sunroof. All these things makes the car less useable.

For that price thats a solid buy, but check out the ss 1le. Over got get past the visibility, and you really do get used to it, it's a great car, I'd like to see how you compare it to the 2.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by budgy
Have you driven the new 5.0 Mustang? I have a feeling you won't like how big the car is, but the noise and the endless torque are a hilariously good time.
I drove one last year so not quite the latest and greatest but yeah the engine sound was really top notch. And it does have some pull when you get it going. The rest of the car did not do too much. Too big, heavy, did not like the interior, and really had trouble judging the corners of the car as a short guy, a lot of the same issues I have with the Camaro. That hoodline is super high. I also don't know if they deal that much but if you option it up with the goodies you are paying BMW M240I money, without getting the chance to drive it around the ring. That is a nice selling point.

Last edited by vader1; 06-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:03 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

For ~$50k, I'm just gonna leave this here..

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
For ~$50k, I'm just gonna leave this here..

I flat out love that car. But I am keeping the Cayman so this car has to do all the rest I need including get through snow and haul groceries, and softener salt, and fertilizer, etc.

Otherwise yeah. In person it is even cooler than the pictures. I would even overlook the extremely difficult ingress/egress. The 240i will at least allow me to have some fun but still load up the trunk at Home Depot. I might add a Miata if the new one is fun enough, but then just keep the 3 series for grocery runs. It is 5 years old, has 38,000 miles and a trade value of practically nothing so I don't miss much if I don't trade it in, but then I have to stay in a lower price range. If anybody had a 4c for $35k................
Old 06-25-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I price out the M240i at $48k and the dealer told me he could do $44k for what I want with the European delivery discount. At that price it is a pretty solid buy.
Just remember, by April it'll be $55k easy once the Trump tariff kicks in.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I love my gt350, the noise. My only complaint, well a few, I just prefer small cars. The stang isn't big, but it is pretty much the size of a mid size sedan these days. And the interior had the usual rattles and what not, which doesn't bother me as much as I'd expect. And I want a sunroof. All these things makes the car less useable.
The GT350 feels big on the road, especially smaller windy country roads. The engine sound is the best of any V8 on the market right now. Interior materials (dash especially) are just average. Has great tech and nice seats. That car is almost too powerful for just driving around town. It can be docile, but the urge to go crazy is just too high! Winding through the gears, stomping the gas and brake are just fantastic on that car. Truly impressive for the money. I wish they'd expand that drive train into other models. They have all the ingredients for the best sports cars for the money; now just need to design something other than Mustang to put it into...

Quick Reply: Recent test drives, GOlf R, S3, M240i, Model 3 (Tesla)