Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Regarding the RX-7 (FD) why woud someone prefer..

Old 01-05-2007, 04:11 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Regarding the RX-7 (FD) why woud someone prefer..

I was reading in another thread about ppl who have owned a RX-7 which can be a real money pit.

I can see the appeal of having something different, ie. you don't see it every day. In that case wouldn't a same year NSX be in the ball game? May cost more up-front but should make it up by being more reliable and better re-sale.

If power/weight is a priority isn't a SC S2000 going to be about equal? may cost more up front but should be more reliable.

I'm just curious what makes the RX-7 special? Is it its engine that is a gift and a curse? If you take the rotary engine away and if it had had a piston engine (like the S2000) that was more reliable would it have been a better car? Or would it have lost it's calling card?
The following users liked this post:
d1rtyc4r (03-23-2017)
Old 01-05-2007, 05:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had an SC S2000....that would be my first choice....new is new....no amount of money can change that.
d1rtyc4r (03-23-2017)
Old 01-05-2007, 05:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

for one thing, many people dont like convertibles because they arent "manly"

and NSXs are overpriced
Old 01-05-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because people have different likes and dislikes...no big deal I have a freind that would rather have a C4 vette than a 2004 NSX..crazy to me but hey what ever flots his boat....
d1rtyc4r (03-23-2017)
Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I know a guy with a stock red (what was the first year) 93? that is totally cherry and has less than 35,000 on it. It is a touring, not the r1 package and the only real "repair" was to replace all of the rubber hoses with whatchmacallit ones. Silicone?

Anywho, don't ask me who it is, he will not take ANY amount for the darn thing. People have tried to pry it out of his hands for years and he loves that people lust after it. He does not need money either.

The car is really goregeous.

But why do people want them? Its unique, very light weight for the power. The engine makes a really pleasing sound and when the turbos kick in it really pulls. I have only been in a highly modified one that was featured in some magazine a few years back so it had alot more power than the stock one would have.

If you really want to find out about one, do what I did. Find your local club and contact someone. The one here was having get togethers and wrenching sessions regularly. There were lot of little tweaks that made the car more reliable, and lots of common fixes that needed to be done regularly. It you don't make a couple modifications, they told me regular hard driving would create underhood temps so high you would crack hoses and melt plastic, so owners switched a jillion hoses (and there are a jillion) to silicone, and did some other thing to lower temps. And this was in Minnesota.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had all three (ok, fine the S2K was stock), and I must say, out of all them, my favorite is still the Rx-7. It truly was a love-hate relationship. The NSX and S2K were the most faithful and reliable....but just like girls, they were also very boring to me.

The Rx-7 was just fun, fun, fun! Except when your underneath it trying to figure out which of the 72 rubber hoses popped off. This car just seemed almost alive.
d1rtyc4r (03-23-2017)
Old 01-05-2007, 06:35 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm just curious what makes the RX-7 special? Is it its engine that is a gift and a curse? If you take the rotary engine away and if it had had a piston engine (like the S2000) that was more reliable would it have been a better car? Or would it have lost it's calling card?
I guess you just have to experience one, but for me its such a great car because it offered great looks, great handling, and a lightliness similar to the S (and previous RX-7s). It isn't bulky like a Vette or Supra, its lively and genuinely fun to drive (like a supersized Miata). The driving experience is great and it is what I was looking for when I found the S2000. The car just has a soul that wants to drive, if that makes any sense.

Their only real downside is the engine's durability - many people put Chevy engines in them once the rotary goes, but the rotary really makes the FD imo, without it you have looks and handling, but the livliness isn't there - its just not the same. I'd still have my FC if a drunk hadn't run over it.

I've driven NSXs and to me, they aren't any better than the S. The cabin is cramped and the power is only adequate for the money. The S is more fun because you can drop the top, so between a SC S2k and an FD, I'd obviously choose the S. As a second car though, I'd get the FD over an NSX.

Of course, once you SC an S, how reliable is it?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:20 AM

It's special to me because I lusted after it when i was young, I still remember the first day I saw one, had no idea what it was but it was beautiful, I thought it was an exotic just like when i first saw the NSX.

The RX-7 is the second most beautiful car to come out of japan behind the nsx imo. I would own one today if they were even semi reliable. The car just makes me think it was made for me, no other car I have ever seen made me feel that way including the exotics.
d1rtyc4r (03-23-2017)
Old 01-05-2007, 07:47 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner,Jan 5 2007, 07:29 AM
I've had all three (ok, fine the S2K was stock), and I must say, out of all them, my favorite is still the Rx-7. It truly was a love-hate relationship. The NSX and S2K were the most faithful and reliable....but just like girls, they were also very boring to me.
that's interesting, the NSX and S2000 (IMO) are not boring at all. I thought that was one of the big selling points of the S2000 (ie. it's a lot of fun but its not hard too live with).

The NSX v RX-7 IMO are equal: looks, rarity, performance (etc.) I wonder why the RX-7 is more exciting. Maybe Honda made the NSX too safe and tame.
d1rtyc4r (03-23-2017)
Old 01-05-2007, 07:52 AM

Hmm, I probably see as many NSX's as I do RX7TT's. Probably depends on where you live.

If the price was the same I'd pick the NSX but the price is not the same so the FD is a fun choice. It was the king of its class at SCCA auto-x until the C5 Z06 came out so you know it is no slouch.
d1rtyc4r (03-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Regarding the RX-7 (FD) why woud someone prefer..